• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
OMG Maruno where are those aerial battles and horde encounters? You sicken me sometimes.
LOL. Now we don't know all of details about these things. Maybe we have aerial battles if these battles aren't hard to implement but I guess not about horde encounters since Essentials doesn't have even Triple and Rotation battles...

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
More updated Graphics. HGSS-BW :)
You can do that on your own. It is fine the way it is.
OMG Maruno where are those aerial battles and horde encounters? You sicken me sometimes.
Relax, we are still missing more important features. Also who ever decides to tackle that, I hope they can work their way around the mess that is the Pokebattle script.

I think the global switch would be fine if you do not want the player to loose money in battle. It is just a simple Boolean.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I found this a while back. What the "AOT" does is make it so graphics will update while the game window is not selected, so the game cannot be paused by simply switching to another window. The advantages of this are obvious: RPG Maker XP plays music even if the window is not selected, which can make Cutscenes or other things awful. This will make it so they will be in sync no matter what.

Thing is you will have to compile the aot.exe yourself since the download links are dead.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
AOT would be very, very useful. Definitely adding it to my game, hopefully Maruno decides to add it to Essentials.

On the topic of music-related issues...

Is there any possible way we could get a way to loop non-midi music in the future? Midis are absolute garbage and don't always sound the same for everyone. I haven't really messed around with FMod that much (I'm not entirely sure it even works with Essentials without some modifications) but this is something that would help greatly. It's such a waste to have a very talented composer, and no way to properly loop the music.

I think this is an RPG Maker Problem. Whether fixes have been made or not I can't recall but I have never had any real problems with getting MP3 to loop, I am not sure about other formats though.

The only reason MIDI is a viable choice is the filesize, really.

xalien95

Developer of Pokémon Omicron
Years
Yesterday I found an awesome feature in the Editor of Pokémon Essentials 12.1: Edit Regional Dexes!
So I decided to use it and to add Hoenn (from Pokémon Emerald), Sinnoh (from the enhanced dex in Platinum) and Unova (from the new dex in Black and White 2)... but this's the problem:

I can't add the number 000 Victini to the Unova dex.

I tried to find the script compiler of the PBS file pokemon.txt (pbCompilePokemonData in Compiler), but
Code:
sections=[]
is an array, and all I did with arrays was to define a customized animation for an animatedsprite XD

My suggestion is:
- add the possibility to add "000" to a regional dex

Spoiler:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
A Regional Dex number of 0 means "not in this Dex". You'll need to tweak where the Regional Dex Numbers are displayed to instead show "the Regional Dex number minus 1" for the appropriate Dexes - there's an old thread about exactly this.

As for your second suggestion, the Editor can't edit National Dex numbers because of reasons (some of which are the same reasons why you can't create new species or delete them). Edit pokemon.txt directly to fiddle with the National Dex numbers. You could also create a Regional Dex which is just a copy of the National Dex and use that instead. There's no way of distinguishing between generations in Essentials, and I don't see why there ever should be.

xalien95

Developer of Pokémon Omicron
Years
there's an old thread about exactly this.
Sorry, I didn't find it, do you remember the thread title or could you link it?
Thanks and sorry in advance for the off-topic XD

Oh.. if I'll adapt the pokemon.txt PBS file with I, II, III, IV and V regional dexes, will you be interested in adding it to the next version of Essentials?

Maruno

Years
Sorry, I didn't find it, do you remember the thread title or could you link it?
Thanks and sorry in advance for the off-topic XD

Oh.. if I'll adapt the pokemon.txt PBS file with I, II, III, IV and V regional dexes, will you be interested in adding it to the next version of Essentials?
Here's the thread. It didn't say anything more than I've already said, but I decided to edit my post with the script changes required (I think that's all of them).

The Regional Dexes in Essentials have only been defined to serve as an example of how to do them, not out of a desire for completion. Aside from the "all regions" projects which never pan out, I don't think there's much desire for all official Regional Dexes to be defined anyway - people are probably making their own instead. So no, I wouldn't be interested in adding them to Essentials (it's easy enough with my new Editor function). You can of course post your version of pokemon.txt as a resource.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
The battletype option: 'shift' or 'set'.

In the official games, when choosing 'shift', you are able to switch pokemon after one of the opponents pokemon faints. Before switching, you are shown which pokemon will be send out. This function has been included in essentials, probably a long time ago.

Suggestion:
In the official games, the 'shift' settings, which is my personal preference, is rather unfair: although you are allowed to switch, your opponent is not. For this reason I often choose 'set' as the battletype. Why not make the opponent switch pokemon too? As soon as you picked your replacement of your fainted pokemon, the opponent gets a free option to withdraw. Of course, your pokemon will decide which pokemon to sent out after hearing about your new pokemon.

Thank you for your consideration.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2015
I think a cool thing for Pokemon Essentials is to be able to modify which Pokemon can be used with the DNA Splicers. This could add more possibilities as to say a fused Fakemon or like something like Eevee could use. It could go back and forth with its forms
Sorry if this was repeated I may have not seen it.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Dexter.

That's a great idea. I've already edited mine to not tell what they switch in, but that's even better. If I do edit the AI to look at that I'll be sure to let you know.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
@Lauerolus: At first, I wanted to 'quickly' edit mine, but I already failed to find the script to edit. I then decided to put the idea here, and continued making a game without it for now. (because making a time-expensive change without a game to back it up would be stupid anyway)

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
PokeBattle_AI, look for pbEnemyShouldWithdrawEx? and others with withdraw in their name.

Maruno

Years
I think a cool thing for Pokemon Essentials is to be able to modify which Pokemon can be used with the DNA Splicers. This could add more possibilities as to say a fused Fakemon or like something like Eevee could use. It could go back and forth with its forms
Sorry if this was repeated I may have not seen it.
It's an item effect. You're welcome to edit it yourself. It's not something I'm going to do in Essentials for a number of reasons, not least of which being that Pokéfusions are a terrible idea (even worse than "give new forms to all the Pokémons!"). I have legitimate reasons too.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
I don't think that will contribute to essentials, but luckily for you that is not for me to decide.

However, although I didn't really look into this, I think you may be able to do this yourself:

Using graphics (probably the easiest):
1. show a video. Look at the intro for an example, look at the battlescripts to use the right settings of all images. (If no interaction is needed, then why go through all the trouble?)

Using scripts (probably the hardest, only recommended if you want the player to interact with the actual battle):
1. event 'Hi, I'm an old man who will catch a weedle'
2. switch the graphics of the player with that of an old man (don't know how to do that, though)
3. enforce an automatic battle (or one with all options disabled except for the one you want to be played). I don't know how to do this either :P
4. after the battle, switch back the graphics, and delete the pokemon that was just caught. How to delete a Pokemon you can find in the wiki.
5. event 'so that's how the old man caught all his pokemon'.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I don't think that will contribute to essentials, but luckily for you that is not for me to decide.

However, although I didn't really look into this, I think you may be able to do this yourself:

Using graphics (probably the easiest):
1. show a video. Look at the intro for an example, look at the battlescripts to use the right settings of all images. (If no interaction is needed, then why go through all the trouble?)

Using scripts (probably the hardest, only recommended if you want the player to interact with the actual battle):
1. event 'Hi, I'm an old man who will catch a weedle'
2. switch the graphics of the player with that of an old man (don't know how to do that, though)
3. enforce an automatic battle (or one with all options disabled except for the one you want to be played). I don't know how to do this either :P
4. after the battle, switch back the graphics, and delete the pokemon that was just caught. How to delete a Pokemon you can find in the wiki.
5. event 'so that's how the old man caught all his pokemon'.

While it would be entirely possible to make a full-screen frame by frame animation for this, I think that seeing as this is a feature in ALL Pokémon games to date, it's a feature worth adding to essentials. Especially since it could be used for things other than catching tutorials and I think a lot of people would actually use it.

Over in the Rom-Hacking subforums, I have seen a lot of games who utilize the catch tutorial to, for example, show Lance catching Red Gyarados or show Team Rocket catching a legendary Pokémon.

There is great potential in adding the feature is all I'm saying. But it's up to Maruno if he thinks it's worth it.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Would it be possible to add a way to make "battle cutscenes". For example, the old man catching Weedle, Pokédudes guides or Wally catching his Ralts?

I started making this a while back, but never actually finished it... It's in my game somewhere lol since it doesn't cause an error, so it works... Think the only thing missing is going to the bag screen selecting PokéBall, then capturing the Weedle... If you want I can try and finish it and place it in Scripts and Tutorials.

I never finished it since I figured it was a waste of time... I liked that *cough*glitchy*cough* old man which was why I made it, hint hint ;)

Back