• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Operating System talk

What operating system do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • MacOS

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Linux

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
So what operating system do you use on your computers?
Do you use Windows or MacOS? or perhaps even a Linux distro? What kind of features and things do you like or dislike about it?

I myself use a Windows 10 laptop. It runs smooth, and it certainty is better than Windows 8. It runs all the apps I use pretty well. (I have a midrange 2013/2014 laptop.)
linux-windows-mac--2-.png

Last edited:

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
I mainly use Windows because most applications are made for this operating system, but I occasionally find myself using Linux Ubuntu with old machines or test machines.

Years
I have some Linux virtual machines just for playing around, and I also maintain a CentOS server on the cloud to power my website, IRC server, and ZNC bouncer.

However, my primary OS is Windows 10, which is installed on both my desktop and my laptop. At work we use Windows 7, although we're slowly starting to integrate Windows 10 as well.

string555

Banned
Years
I mostly use my 2 Ubuntu laptops, but I also have a win10 laptop for experimenting with Windows stuff.

I only started using Linux about a year ago, but it immediately felt natural to me. The only problems I've ever had with the system was completely due to my own stupidity. XD

Desox

This account is inactive.
Years
I use Windows 10 for playing games on my custom desktop, then I use Linux on the rest of my computers.

I've recently switched from Xubuntu to Fedora. Feels comfier, but it boots terribly slower. At least it manages battery life waaay better.

The compatibility issue is a non-existant problem for me. Any program we use at uni is available in some kind for Linux, so a win for free software.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
As I'm typing with old firefox that can't do spell checking, I sorta use Linux like system or Puppy which copies to ram and it's quite operating system that is handy which why I use to to backup my files and allows to use the laptop even my HDD failed (might repair some day), though can't do much. Previously. Windows 7, but HDD problem araise and install problems so I had to use other OS right now

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Oh boy, where do I even start?

Main Laptop: Ubuntu/Windows 7
Inspiron: Lubuntu
Raspberry Pi: Retropie/Raspbian
Busted HP Pavilion that doesn't work anymore: Windows 7
Toaster: Windows 98/Windows XP

I considered doing a hackintosh setup once but I dunno if it's really worth the effort. Ubuntu and its variants work a lot faster on most of my computers so that's what I currently use but I still have Windows 7 on there for gaming purposes as well as anything I can't run on Ubuntu. I might try Mint if I can get that HP laptop working again but who knows?

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Mainly use windows 10 on my laptop and desktop. Mostly happy win it, faster than Windows 7 and like the overal look of the system.

I just wish some Windows apps are better designed because I notice that in an attempt to be minimalistic, they've actually hidden essential features (like skype)

I use linux from time to time but on virutal machines. Anytime I'm doing hacking labs or other security stuff it's either Kali or Ubuntu.

Years
I dual-boot Windows 10/Linux (Elementary OS).

I'm going to start using Linux more often because oftentimes I get tired of Windows; more often than not it's refreshing to just use a new OS.

Switched from Elementary OS to Zorin OS.

Nothing wrong with Elementary in particular, it just for some reason didn't play very nice with my laptop's huge resolution for whatever reason, plus it didn't seem to be significantly customisable. There were some issues with using Discord that made it a pain on Elementary as well.

Aside from that, I had positive experiences with it, but I'm enjoying Zorin a lot more. Huge thanks to Zach for recommending it to me!

Years
My main PC uses Windows 10. I'd love to stick a Linux distro on there, but previous attempts have been disastrous. My laptop dual boots Windows 10 and Antergos Linux (barely runs). And I also have a potato that runs Windows 2000 and a potato that runs Lubuntu.

TY

my PC uses Windows 10 only for the fact that I play a lot of video games... Laptop uses Windows 8 which I dont want to change as I never will touch it ever again after a few weeks

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Currently dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I've tried out a lot of other Linux distros before, but somehow I always come back to Ubuntu.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Switched to Linux back in 2005 and so far doing good. Have tested a number of distros, eventually settling in Xubuntu and Debian. Currently running Debian Testing, to which I migrated from Debian Stable just a week ago.

The only Windows I run is a Windows XP VM for work, but even then most of my work is done on Linux, the VM is for actually running the company products for reproducing errors (they are point-of-sale programs). That and for running ye olde Age of Empires 2, admittedly. As for why it is a Windows XP VM is simply that that is so much lighter on resources, as my machine is a laptop. So far I have never known of a "lightweight" or "barebones" Windows 7 release, if there was one I'd probably put that in a VM like, yesterday.

Last edited:
Back