• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Power of social media

Years
Here to talk about the strange power social media has on us. But before that, a few points I think are good to keep in mind (and, I suppose, could debate, though I think it's hard to deny them).

- When you use social media, you are the product being sold to advertisers.
- Social media algorithms know more about you than you think.
- Not just classic advertisers use social media to target and persuade people. People with ideologies use it to, for instance, influencing voter turnout or public opinion on key issues. (Trump's campaign social media guy admitted they did this and Facebook has done several real-world experiments with its users.)

This all culminates in a system where we're being influenced by unknown people with unknown agendas without our knowledge or awareness. I don't think this is a sustainable system. Why are we giving so much power to Google and Facebook and the rest?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Very powerful. You mentioned the Trump social media example. A lot of people also attribute Obama's win over McCain because people could donate online through Obama's social media pages while you still had to actually mail money to McCain's campaign. Obama received a LOT more donation money than McCain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/us/politics/05donate.html

Politically, social media can be a great thing for politicians; however, as you mentioned, any group can purchase advertising space. The issue is that Google and Facebook dont give a crap unless there is massive popular backlash for them to regulate who can purchase ad space from them. I don't think the government would really regulate Google or Facebook (on this issue) because the government could potentially violate free speech.

Vragon

Considering how Social media can take a bit of the consequences of face to face socializing, while also offering content, it would make perfect sense that it would bring out behavior in people they wouldn't really display in public.

Social media to me has many pros and cons and well one of the cons to me is the ease to affect your open thinking. What I mean is, when advertisers keep giving you what you want to see, it kinda keeps you focusing on that alone and ignore other things. Now this isn't inherently a problem and not everyone is obsessed with stuff enough, but it's important to consider the things/views that it inhibits or at least lessens your interaction around by merely showing you more stuff that you like.

Social media does make interaction over distances easier and working with others you haven't even met. I won't attest it's perfect, but oh my goodness can it be handy. Considering I can get to know someone and work with them without going to where they live really is an impactful use. It's when it does get to your head and social media becomes "Too" quaint for you that it starts to really ensnare you into a single focused mindset or an over reliance on it.

So basically like many things, it's a good thing but can be used for bad purposes. Considering that social media has a great amount of influence, it's really necessary that it is handled well and isn't like Youtube's Copyright stuff (Pot shot I know, but fitting)

string555

Banned
Years
Does it really influence people that much when it comes down to it? It's not like it's just one side putting things out there, it's like this massive pool where everyone dumps their 2 cents into. People stare at the pool, and if they find something they like, they reach in and pocket it, right? There might be some slight sway to people's opinions in general, but it seems like almost nobody just does a complete 180 on any issue. Maybe changes do happen faster now because of so much exposure from social media, but things aren't that drastically different in how they work.

One thing that's definitely different is that the world as a whole is much more connected than it was before, for better or for worse. :O

Back