• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Additions to the Editor

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
This will both pose some questions as well as rise some discussion. The starting point is a question as to the limit of additions we could bring to the editor without having to make a great deal of change to the overall Essentials engine. As well as the fact I must question how much knowledge would need to be had to bring more notable changes.

This thread can be used for discussing certain things in which we could add to it. Speaking from a personal account, I think it would be useful if we had a more in depth and accessibility to the overall functioning of the day & night system. We have encounters within the editor, so I felt it might also come in useful to bring the addition to be able to set the amount of tints maps would have, the times in which they occur, as well as the actual colour of those tints. It would also be useful to get a real-time example of these tints within the editor. This would be quite useful to have, and could be expanded on.

So again, I'll question the possibility and credibility of these changes. I for one, mostly avoid the editor and use PBS files, however if it had more benefits I believe it could be something worth using more so. And in conjunction with the question, I advise others to add what changes they would like to see.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I for one, mostly avoid the editor and use PBS files,
Me too. Probably editing the editor is more time-consuming to Maruno, so he created the Settings script instead of global metadata (and for to putting some type of data like arrays).
But the editor can be very friendly to new users, so it can't be abandoned
These day/night things can be useful, but maybe and option to copy/paste (one of big advantages of editing a txt file) a night encounter to a day encounter and then make the modifications.

I thinks that he should put all metadata on settings, except the map exclusives and the players exclusives.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Yeah I feel that the editor is something of subjective preference. I personally do not wish to put much more pressure on Maruno. But perhaps even Settings could have more options also, I feel that the Editor and the Options script are very two useful tools for new users and those who like to avoid more complicated scripts and so on.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Why's all the pressure on me? This is a community project (no, really!), so anyone can have a go at upgrading the Editor.

I assume we're talking about the External Editor here. I think there's only about two things it does that can't be done in-game anyway: the animation editor and repositioning sprites. Frankly, I don't really see how it's difficult to edit the PBS files directly, since half the time there are hundreds of examples (moves, Pokémon, etc.).

The day/night system is touchy at best, and seems to show the correct tint only when it feels like it (although I don't know why). I'm sure it would be pretty difficult to allow a "preview" of a tint. The tints themselves are in the array HourlyTones at the top of PokemonTime, and are not something people would usually want to change which is why they're not in Settings.

If you have any more suggestions for Settings, please let me know.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I was actually working on adding a bit more content to the editor at one point - Nothing huge, just giving Trainer's Pokémon some more configurable options, i.e setting a gender and stuff. I got it to compile and everything, but there were some bugs. SOMEWHERE on my computer I have a notepad document recording all the changes, but I tried to go back to it the next day only to realize I had no idea what I saved it as. Haven't worked on it since...

It will game me something to do in the future, so I'll look into it more within the next day or two.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Good news: With the various flags we were talking about in the other thread (like abilityflag, to override gender/nature/ability), defining more properties of a trainer's Pokémon will be easy, and is definitely something I'll be putting in at some point. Not immediately, though.

Back