• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever bought any Pokémon games on release day?

Years
If yes, did you get the game(s) via download on the digital store, buy it on the same day in person, attended a midnight release event, or something else?

Do you usually buy Pokémon games on release?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I've been doing the midnight release events since DPPt if they're held. Always cool to see other fans and pick up some freebies. Unfortunately the local (which wasn't local at all anyway) game store closed down so now I just download them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I went once for the midnight event on XY and ever since I've more or less bought the game months or years later.

It was actually kinda neat but walking around late at night with valuables isn't really a great idea where I live. Plus, I'm not even sure if they do do midnight events around here anymore.

I guess I could buy it digitally at midnight (or at the dawn after midnight) but tbh, I'd rather wait and get more perspective rather than fully commit to Pokemon on hype nowadays.

Years
I had Shining Pearl and Legends:Arceus pre-ordered and received them in my mailbox on the day of release if that counts =3

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Once, and only once. I got Pokemon Platinum on release day, and got Pokemon X the day after release day. I haven't since then. I would have gotten Legends arceus on release day if I could, though. =/ Ah, well, maybe some other time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 9, 2022
I've bought every Pokemon game on release day since Black, which I picked up in store. Since then I've bought them all online because it's cheaper and more convenient. I'm not a fan of buying digital when there is a reasonably priced physical alternative (which is basically anything not on a limited run) so I've never considered that an option really.

Prior to Gen V I actually got most of the games before release date here because I'd import them from the US, which always had things months in advance...those were the dark days when simultaneous worldwide release dates were very uncommon. My copies of Ruby, Diamond, SoulSilver, and Platinum are all US imports anyway, and I picked up the other versions when they released here. I've taken to buying both versions at launch now after spending a fortune on getting copies of White and White 2.

Years
I bought Pokemon Moon on release day or week i think. I had the money saved up, had been saving since they were announced (games are very expensive back in my home country) and i was dumb enough to buy it the wrong way and getting my 3DS banned (:
I had transfered half of my living dex into Bank, which got updated right as i got banned, which meant i couldnt update it or even use it; long story short, i lost all my breedables and legendaries.

I should have saved up a bit more and bought the cartridge instead (┬┬﹏┬┬) or just plain should have been less naive.
This is also lowkey how i fell out of love with pokemon. Only now i'm getting back into it and enjoying it again. TMI i know ^n^'

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
HgSs and BW were the only ones where I was both aware of the release date and intended to buy them. Got SoulSilver from Blockbuster!! after school, and pre-ordered Black only for it to not turn up until a day after the release.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I think the only one I bought on release was Y.

I bought others like X, ORAS, gen 4/5 titles years later. I don't remember when I got gen 1-3 games, close to release.

Years
Yes, I kinda always do, because I pre ordered them at the GameStop in my city. Since there is just one GameStop in my city, i was worried they could finish the games soon lol, so i preferred to pre order them. I have done that with Pokemon Black, White 2 (got the wrong version lol), Pokemon X, Pokemon Ultra moon and Legends Pokemon Arceus (that arrived late).
Actually also Soul Silver, but I was in my city when the game arrived.

Years
usually i do. c: there are some exceptions... like i didn't get swsh until a while after due to not having the money for it day one i think. but i try to make the effort to get pokemon games when they release~

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
I bought Legends: Arceus on the eShop shortly after it released. Can't think of any others, though. Maybe the Gen VII games, but I'm not sure.

Back