• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does people even use forums like this anymore?

Years
Yeah, in this era of Discords and what have you, these forums definitely seems like a relic. It's good thing that people still use this site but who knows how long that might last...

Years
Forums aren't what they used to be back in the 2000s and in the turn of the decade but to claim that they're somehow all a wasteland is incorrect.

Discord is a nifty little tool for congregating with people of fellow interests. One thing that it lacks however, is an organized method of way to communicate thoughts, and that's where forums will always reign supreme. Want to check something someone said a few weeks ago on a certain topic? You could search keywords through Discord's logs... if you remember what important keywords there even are.

Or you can search forum threads and get what you need and more throughout that whole discussion if you wanted.

But that's the thing, though. Discord isn't supposed to be some sort of organized chat platform; it's a live chat medium where all sorts of instant discussion can take place. Forums are much slower-paced and as such are much easier to keep up with, if you're a fan of that.

Live chat definitely has its advantages for sure, but let's not pretend that it completely eliminates the need for forums.

Last edited:
Years
Discord isn't what is "killing" forums. What's "killing" forums is the shift to social media like Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook for the similar type of conversational role that forums took over from newsgroups back in the late '90s/early 2000s.

Discord is merely slotting into the roles Skype, Instant Messenger clients, and IRC previously filled.

That said, plenty of people are using plenty of forums still. It's easier to navigate for past discussions and hold discussions over a forum platform than it is to use Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, etc for such purposes.

Years
Discord isn't what is "killing" forums. What's "killing" forums is the shift to social media like Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook for the similar type of conversational role that forums took over from newsgroups back in the late '90s/early 2000s.

Discord is merely slotting into the roles Skype, Instant Messenger clients, and IRC previously filled.

That said, plenty of people are using plenty of forums still. It's easier to navigate for past discussions and hold discussions over a forum platform than it is to use Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, etc for such purposes.

Alright, good to know. It's just that when taking a look at all the various forums I'm a member of, there definitely appears to be less activity compared to 8-6 years ago.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Long live forums >>>>> social media (lol reddit is considered one now, I remember when it too considered a forum, instead of a pseudo social media it tries to be now ro appeal to masses)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I don't think forums are dead. I do think young people now have become enchanted with scrolling and scrolling through media feeds and would think of forums as antique stuff, I guess? Or maybe some might think forums might make them waste more time (which isn't the case, considering how addictive social media is and how actually nothing productive is done on it).

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
...This forum seems pretty alive still ^_~;

I like discord instant messenger (thats what i tend to call it when talking about it irl lol) too though. I started my account on there this year, and it's a nice place to keep in touch with and chat a lot with certain friends on :) Like my friend Ascended Dialga, he uses Discord a lot. I remember last year I didn't wanna join right away cuz i was worried i'd get addicted though lol Since i used to be SO addicted to AIM when i was younger....xD But, thankfully, that didn't happen when I finally joined up. I actually still use forums waaay more, and don't even login to discord everyday in fact. Still a nice program though :P

Years
...This forum seems pretty alive still ^_~;

I like discord instant messenger (thats what i tend to call it when talking about it irl lol) too though. I started my account on there this year, and it's a nice place to keep in touch with and chat a lot with certain friends on :) Like my friend Ascended Dialga, he uses Discord a lot. I remember last year I didn't wanna join right away cuz i was worried i'd get addicted though lol Since i used to be SO addicted to AIM when i was younger....xD But, thankfully, that didn't happen when I finally joined up. I actually still use forums waaay more, and don't even login to discord everyday in fact. Still a nice program though :P

Nice to hear at least. But then, are there any quarantees forums can sustain themselves on the long run? Case in point: http://www.g-unleashed.com/forums/index.php Don't let the appearance of it fool you. It isn't very active at all and for some reason, it's been overrun with spambots in the interim.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Even when I was addicted to aim I still used forums a lot lol Technecly people can make time for both if they really want ta xD

Back