• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime 101: Introduction to Anime

Years
Let's pretend for a moment I'm not a huge weeb (good luck). Give me a couple of series that are a good way to get me into anime from having next to no experience or interest. Why are these shows good starting points?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Pretending someone is new to anime, huh? Well...

Full Metal Alchemist (either Brotherhood or the original, really) are good for anime beginners. Has a good story, amazing characters & development and a conclusive ending. I'd recommend Brotherhood over the original if you want to see the more faithful version, of course.

Years
It really would depend on what sort of games you play or live action you like.

If you like;
Sports - Ro-Kyu-Bu
Action - Prism Illya
Romance - Kodomo no Jikan
Music - Tenshi no 3P
Supernatural - Astarotte no Omocha!
Military history - Strike Witches

Years
If you don't fancy KnJ for romance try Usagi Drop.

That's gonna be a no from me, dog.

Also no troll lists please. You know damn well your entire list isn't suitable for fresh meat.

Anyway, new to anime? While my reasons are going to be non-existent in substance as fleshing out ideas in writing is not a strong-suit of mine and it's past 11:30 PM as I'm writing this, here are a few:

R.O.D. OVA - This one only requires suspension of disbelief as its premise is a bit out there while still being set in our reality for the most part.

FLCL - While this wasn't my personal cup of tea, a lot of people like this out there coming of age story.

Black Lagoon - Disclaimer: this is not for anyone who cannot handle blood and violence. This one is an interesting story and a fun ride.

Dragon Ball - It's a decent story that may drag on but you'll have quite a bit of fun along the way.

Cowboy Bebop (English Dub specifically) - This is an accessible series with a good soundtrack that has a loose continuity and has a very good English dub.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (English dub) - Disclaimer: if you don't like raunchy humor or toilet humor, this is not going to be for you. It's a crude comedy that's basically a love letter to a lot of western animation. If this is your sense of humor, it'll leave you in stitches and its soundtrack is damn appealing (at least for me personally it is). Teddyloid makes some damn fine tracks.

Ouran High School Host Club - It's kind of a light dabble into shoujo anime tropes as well as anime tropes in general but it's still got a charming cast.

Samurai Champloo - This is a comedy series with some serious story elements and some good fighting scene choreography and a light hip-hop soundtrack.

Trigun - It's a show about a space cowboy. That's a very not-anime-specific premise.

Honorable mentions: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - I wanted to put these in the list but I'm pretty sure they're just a bit too much anime to be truly accessible, especially compared to the above.

Oh, and a myriad number of shonen titles I didn't list are solid gateway series as well.

Back