• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Smell Ya Later': The Rival Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Are you a fan of the rivals in Pokémon? Do you like how they look, and/or their personality? Then this is the club for you!

The rivals: (in the main games)
Spr_HGSS_Blue.png
Spr_HGSS_Silver.png
Spr_E_Brendan.png
Spr_E_May.png
Spr_Pt_Barry.png
Spr_BW_Cheren.png
Spr_BW_Bianca.png
Spr_BW_N.png
Spr_B2W2_Hugh.png

Rules:

• Follow the PC Rules
  • No haters
  • And the most important: have fun!

Sign-up form:
Username:
Favorite Rival:
Answer the current topic:

Current topic:
Which rival do you dislike the most? Any specific reasons?

Members:
Spoiler:

Username: LolPizzaLol
Favorite Rival: Blue, because he is so arrogant and he became the champion after all.
Who is the rival you had the most trouble with? Blue again, because he has a lot of different types and in my Electric monotype-run his Rhydon just wrecks my team.

Last edited by a moderator:

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Username: CloysterOyster
Favorite rival: Blue (Gary Oak)
Rival I had most trouble with: Silver, the thieving one. Not sure of his real name but his Pokémon were a pain until I put Eeveelutions in my party along with my Meganium and Noctowl.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Username: AlexOzzyCake
Favorite Rival: Barry! He's the most fun out of all the rivals and he had the most interesting team. He certainly wasn't amongst the strongest of the rivals but he sure made up for it in his personality. Plus I'm a Sinnoh fanboy so a little biased!

Which gave most trouble, hmm... I think that'd have to be Cheren! His team seemed to be put together with a lot of competitive aspects in mind and it led to some quite tough encounters with him. He wasn't necessarily difficult, but I think for an in-game rival he was usually well levelled and put up a consistently great fight. Plus his team was somewhat interesting to face so that's a bonus!

Favorite Rival: Blue, because he is so arrogant and he became the champion after all.
Just curious, what is it that makes you like the arrogance so much? That's the trait that's always made him my least favourite of the rivals haha.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Username: CloysterOyster
Favorite rival: Blue (Gary Oak)
Rival I had most trouble with: Silver, the thieving one. Not sure of his real name but his Pokémon were a pain until I put Eeveelutions in my party along with my Meganium and Noctowl.
Welcome!
Yeah Silver was kind of a pain too, but he wasn't the champion, so you could just buy all the items you want and heal your Pokémon before you face him. But because Blue is the champion and he has different types, it's really hard if you're doing a monotype run or ran out of potions. And your team most likely already got wrecked by Lance. But still, Silver can be a pain too, yeah.

Username: AlexOzzyCake
Favorite Rival: Barry! He's the most fun out of all the rivals and he had the most interesting team. He certainly wasn't amongst the strongest of the rivals but he sure made up for it in his personality. Plus I'm a Sinnoh fanboy so a little biased!

Which gave most trouble, hmm... I think that'd have to be Cheren! His team seemed to be put together with a lot of competitive aspects in mind and it led to some quite tough encounters with him. He wasn't necessarily difficult, but I think for an in-game rival he was usually well levelled and put up a consistently great fight. Plus his team was somewhat interesting to face so that's a bonus!

Just curious, what is it that makes you like the arrogance so much? That's the trait that's always made him my least favourite of the rivals haha.
Barry was really funny and hyperactive yeah. :P

Cheren was also a pain in the battle before the Badge Check Gates, since it was kinda hard to level grind there.

I just think his arrogance is really funny because he still thinks he's better than you after you beat him for like a million times. It also makes you really want to defeat him over and over again. :P

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
rIVaLS???!!!!

Username: EternallyAnna
Favorite Rival: BARRY AND BIANCA MY CUTE HYPER BLONDE DORKS

Uh well none of them were ever very difficult for me; I'm usually way overlevelled or can abuse type advantages when I battle them. Silver fricked me over in Azalea Town during my challenge playing as Clay on HG tho. And Bianca's frickin Munna/Musharna oh my god I could never take it down without a load of trouble.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Name:UltraMew
Rival:Blue
Topic:Blue.
Welcome, your post is very detailed! :P
rIVaLS???!!!!

Username: EternallyAnna
Favorite Rival: BARRY AND BIANCA MY CUTE HYPER BLONDE DORKS

Uh well none of them were ever very difficult for me; I'm usually way overlevelled or can abuse type advantages when I battle them. Silver fricked me over in Azalea Town during my challenge playing as Clay on HG tho. And Bianca's frickin Munna/Musharna oh my god I could never take it down without a load of trouble.
Welcome to teh club!

Barry and Bianca make the perfect couple. <3

Yeah Gastly and Zubat are not very nice if you're using Ground-types. :P
I don't think I ever had trouble with Bianca though, it was always Cheren that kicked my ass.

Years
Username: Regeneration
Favorite Rival: May

Current topic:
Who is the rival you had the most trouble with? (you don't have to play all the games, just pick one from the rivals you battled with)
All of them really. They come out of nowhere and battle me when half my Pokemon are fainted. :<

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Username: Regeneration
Favorite Rival: May

Current topic:
Who is the rival you had the most trouble with? (you don't have to play all the games, just pick one from the rivals you battled with)
All of them really. They come out of nowhere and battle me when half my Pokemon are fainted. :<
Hellooooo.

I didn't really like May/Brendan, I thought they were way too friendly, but everyone has their own opinion I suppose :P.

If you don't know where the rival battles are, you're basically screwed all the time yeah. :)

Time for a new topic:
What is your favorite Rival battle theme? My favorite is Silver's from HG/SS, I don't really know why, it just makes you wanna dance.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
May and Brendan.... I love May in the anime. She's my favourite PokéGirl. But in the games, those two just don't really have much distinct personalities. They were just... there idk.

RIVAL BATTLE THEME they're all fun but tbh all my fav music is from Hoenn. Well, and a few tracks from BW. But def favourite theme would be the Hoenn pair. It's so peppy and invigorating. I JUST LIKE HORNS OK. And on top of being really great in general, it's also got the nostalgia factor for me what with Emerald being my first game.

I went through them all and ordered the rest from fav to least fav:

Barry
Bianca/Cheren
Silver
Hugh
N
Green

Hearing Hugh's for the first time I'm reminded of Megaman for some reason omg.

And oh- do you guys consider N to be a rival? I mean he kind of fits the bill, running into you all over the place and insisting upon battles every time. He does have his own agenda and is not your direct rival in competition to get stronger; he has his own agenda. But then again, so did Silver. Yet we call him a rival. Is that just because there was no other option for a rival in the game? Because he certainly wasn't interested in the player's growth or anything. He was actively trying to stop that iirc.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
May and Brendan.... I love May in the anime. She's my favourite PokéGirl. But in the games, those two just don't really have much distinct personalities. They were just... there idk.

RIVAL BATTLE THEME they're all fun but tbh all my fav music is from Hoenn. Well, and a few tracks from BW. But def favourite theme would be the Hoenn pair. It's so peppy and invigorating. I JUST LIKE HORNS OK. And on top of being really great in general, it's also got the nostalgia factor for me what with Emerald being my first game.

I went through them all and ordered the rest from fav to least fav:

Barry
Bianca/Cheren
Silver
Hugh
N
Green

Hearing Hugh's for the first time I'm reminded of Megaman for some reason omg.

And oh- do you guys consider N to be a rival? I mean he kind of fits the bill, running into you all over the place and insisting upon battles every time. He does have his own agenda and is not your direct rival in competition to get stronger; he has his own agenda. But then again, so did Silver. Yet we call him a rival. Is that just because there was no other option for a rival in the game? Because he certainly wasn't interested in the player's growth or anything. He was actively trying to stop that iirc.
I wasn't a big fan of the trumpets in Hoenn so Brendan/May's theme is probably my least favorite.

I never played BW2, so maybe I need to listen to Hugh's theme sometime, because Megaman music is just amazing.

I didn't think of N actually! You could consider him a rival yeah, since you battle him quite a few times. I'm gonna add him to the list.

rainerman3

The Guy With THE Aura
Years
Welp, time to join another club.

Username: Rainerman3
Favorite Rival: Probably Hugh because I haven't seen a rival as emotional as him and he actually wasn't a douche and in your face all the time...
Answer the current topic: I can't choose between Silver's and Hugh's theme, they're both so amazing. Silver's theme is really badass and makes you want to beat Silver. Hugh's theme on the other hand is... Well I can't really describe Hugh's theme, it's just awesome. But I think I'm gonna go with Silver's theme because he's my second favorite rival..

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Welp, time to join another club.

Username: Rainerman3
Favorite Rival: Probably Hugh because I haven't seen a rival as emotional as him and he actually wasn't a douche and in your face all the time...
Answer the current topic: I can't choose between Silver's and Hugh's theme, they're both so amazing. Silver's theme is really badass and makes you want to beat Silver. Hugh's theme on the other hand is... Well I can't really describe Hugh's theme, it's just awesome. But I think I'm gonna go with Silver's theme because he's my second favorite rival..

Still haven't played BW2 yet, so I don't know about Hugh and I haven't listened to his theme yet. But Silver has an awesome theme yeah.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Username: Olli97
Favorite Rival: A bit of a tough decision here. It's tied between Blue and Silver, since they're the only rivals whose ambitions and characteristics are some that I like, as well as being some that are clear in my mind. Obviously due to the amount of playthroughs I've had in the generations they're featured in, compared to the few I've had in most of the other games. Brendan and May were kinda meh. They were essentially just the same character, so choosing between them would be down to designs only, if we had to follow the game canon, and all in all, there wasn't much to them. They were pretty much just trying to fill up their Pokedex in attempt to help their (grandpa or dad, I can't even remember), and occasionally battled you, just to see how far you'd gotten. All in all, they were really forgettable characters who didn't really serve much purpose in the games, which is why they're far from my favourites. That's why I liked Wally much more than those two (whom you btw forgot to add :p), because he actually had goals fitting of a rival, and was kind of an interesting case. But not my favourite either.

I didn't really play DPPt and BW enough to really form much of an opinion on the rivals, but as for the little I have: I liked Barry's personality, and I feel like he was definitely the one who was richest in that department, at least in my judgment. However, due to the fact that I've only really played DPPt about 2-3 times, with very big gaps between, I never really grew to like Barry too much. I mean, I can't even remember his team. As for Bianca and Cheren; I barely even saw them as rivals. I just saw them as the friends whom you started your journey with, and who occasionally battle you, just because that's the point of being Pokemon trainers. There wasn't really any rivalry in it, aside from the catching 'em all part, which has honestly never been any big priority of mine in Pokemon games, so I didn't really care much for it. Personality-wise though, I really like them. While it may be a bit cliché, it definitely fit into a Pokemon game, and adding on to what happened to them with the sequels, it just gets better. We get to see the nervous side of Cheren in B2W2, as the first opponent he faces as a gym leader, something he kinda hid behind a cover of knowledge about everything regarding Pokemon throughout the entirety of BW. And we get to see a more serious Bianca, which I didn't expect. But yeah, kinda going off-topic here! :p

Hugh was just hard to get in on. He was a very mysterious character to me, and while he definitely felt more like a rival than Bianca and Cheren, he just didn't seem to have the attitude of one. He didn't really care as much about you, and had more of the attitude of Bianca and Cheren towards you, while still going with his goal to beat Team Plasma. It just kinda seemed like Hugh was a copy of Silver, and I have still only played through B2 once, so yeah :p Not much to add here. I really like how loyal he is towards his sister though!

But yeah, Silver and Blue. Both probably the most arrogant and cocky rivals. I think the only reason Silver is really tied with Blue, is because of how much I love the games he's featured in, and because I like his goals, and how we're pretty much getting in the way of him, making it more real than with Hugh. His goal to beat Team Rocket, just because he dislike their actions, and because he dislike his father, Giovanni, I guess. And we're just one step ahead of him with beating them all the time. I can understand his anger. But in the end, Blue is really the real definition of a rival. He shared the same goals as you; fill up the Pokedex and become the champion (and that was at a time when catching 'em all was actually possible ;)), and it was just all about who was the fastest. And the rival battles to test how far you'd both gotten. I know new ideas for rivals make it more fun, but it doesn't get any more true than what they did with Blue. And that's why he's my favourite I guess :p

tl;dr: My favourite is Blue :)

Since I can't remember any themes apart from Blue's champion theme, I'm just gonna skip that topic and go to the old one :p

Who is the rival you had the most trouble with?

Oooh, I've had my fair share of trouble with just about every rival, but the one instance I recall the best, was in the battle against May/Brendan on the road to Mauville in R/S/E. I don't know why I always had so much trouble with that battle (probably because I was (and still am) a giant noob at Pokemon ;p), but it always took me forever to get past that battle. Same goes for the one in Lilycove. There aren't really any I can recall with others, except for against Blue in the second Champion battle in FR/LG, but I don't really count those, since they're supposed to be really hard. But May/Brendan are pretty much the first to come to mind, when I think of rival battles I've had trouble with, despite the fact that I hardly even see them as rivals xD Another one was the one against Silver at the end of the Victory Road in G/S/C, but taking a look at his team again after all these years, it wasn't even that hard. Heck, G/S weren't really hard games at all :p

Years
Username: ShinyXander
Favorite Rival: Silver
Generation two was probably my favorite, so I might be a little biased in this department. I enjoyed battling Silver throughout the game because it was interesting to see him grow as a trainer. He starts out completely enveloped in the idea that he needs the most powerful Pokemon and that the weak don't matter. Later, he begins realizing that power alone isn't enough to win battles. I also enjoy his design and attitude. He is also pretty arrogant, saying things like, "… You again? There's no need to panic. I don't bother with wimps like you." Excuse me, Silver? If I remember correctly, you've lost to me in every battle we've had!
Favorite Rival Theme: I think I have to go with the one from Hoenn, although I do like Silver's theme. It just always felt so upbeat and cheery. I'm not entirely sure why I enjoyed it so much, but I did!

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
Username: Olli97
Favorite Rival: A bit of a tough decision here. It's tied between Blue and Silver, since they're the only rivals whose ambitions and characteristics are some that I like, as well as being some that are clear in my mind. Obviously due to the amount of playthroughs I've had in the generations they're featured in, compared to the few I've had in most of the other games. Brendan and May were kinda meh. They were essentially just the same character, so choosing between them would be down to designs only, if we had to follow the game canon, and all in all, there wasn't much to them. They were pretty much just trying to fill up their Pokedex in attempt to help their (grandpa or dad, I can't even remember), and occasionally battled you, just to see how far you'd gotten. All in all, they were really forgettable characters who didn't really serve much purpose in the games, which is why they're far from my favourites. That's why I liked Wally much more than those two (whom you btw forgot to add :p), because he actually had goals fitting of a rival, and was kind of an interesting case. But not my favourite either.

I didn't really play DPPt and BW enough to really form much of an opinion on the rivals, but as for the little I have: I liked Barry's personality, and I feel like he was definitely the one who was richest in that department, at least in my judgment. However, due to the fact that I've only really played DPPt about 2-3 times, with very big gaps between, I never really grew to like Barry too much. I mean, I can't even remember his team. As for Bianca and Cheren; I barely even saw them as rivals. I just saw them as the friends whom you started your journey with, and who occasionally battle you, just because that's the point of being Pokemon trainers. There wasn't really any rivalry in it, aside from the catching 'em all part, which has honestly never been any big priority of mine in Pokemon games, so I didn't really care much for it. Personality-wise though, I really like them. While it may be a bit cliché, it definitely fit into a Pokemon game, and adding on to what happened to them with the sequels, it just gets better. We get to see the nervous side of Cheren in B2W2, as the first opponent he faces as a gym leader, something he kinda hid behind a cover of knowledge about everything regarding Pokemon throughout the entirety of BW. And we get to see a more serious Bianca, which I didn't expect. But yeah, kinda going off-topic here! :p

Hugh was just hard to get in on. He was a very mysterious character to me, and while he definitely felt more like a rival than Bianca and Cheren, he just didn't seem to have the attitude of one. He didn't really care as much about you, and had more of the attitude of Bianca and Cheren towards you, while still going with his goal to beat Team Plasma. It just kinda seemed like Hugh was a copy of Silver, and I have still only played through B2 once, so yeah :p Not much to add here. I really like how loyal he is towards his sister though!

But yeah, Silver and Blue. Both probably the most arrogant and cocky rivals. I think the only reason Silver is really tied with Blue, is because of how much I love the games he's featured in, and because I like his goals, and how we're pretty much getting in the way of him, making it more real than with Hugh. His goal to beat Team Rocket, just because he dislike their actions, and because he dislike his father, Giovanni, I guess. And we're just one step ahead of him with beating them all the time. I can understand his anger. But in the end, Blue is really the real definition of a rival. He shared the same goals as you; fill up the Pokedex and become the champion (and that was at a time when catching 'em all was actually possible ;)), and it was just all about who was the fastest. And the rival battles to test how far you'd both gotten. I know new ideas for rivals make it more fun, but it doesn't get any more true than what they did with Blue. And that's why he's my favourite I guess :p

tl;dr: My favourite is Blue :)

Since I can't remember any themes apart from Blue's champion theme, I'm just gonna skip that topic and go to the old one :p

Who is the rival you had the most trouble with?

Oooh, I've had my fair share of trouble with just about every rival, but the one instance I recall the best, was in the battle against May/Brendan on the road to Mauville in R/S/E. I don't know why I always had so much trouble with that battle (probably because I was (and still am) a giant noob at Pokemon ;p), but it always took me forever to get past that battle. Same goes for the one in Lilycove. There aren't really any I can recall with others, except for against Blue in the second Champion battle in FR/LG, but I don't really count those, since they're supposed to be really hard. But May/Brendan are pretty much the first to come to mind, when I think of rival battles I've had trouble with, despite the fact that I hardly even see them as rivals xD Another one was the one against Silver at the end of the Victory Road in G/S/C, but taking a look at his team again after all these years, it wasn't even that hard. Heck, G/S weren't really hard games at all :p

Long post lol.
I agree with you on Blue and Silver as your favorites and May/Brendan being kinda meh.
I like Blue a lot because he is not very nice to you and he has the same goal as you, so that really motivates you to become better than him.
Silver had a really good backstory with Giovanni being his father and all. You really got to know him. He is also a guy who doesn't really care about anything. I just like that.
May/Brendan were really friendly and had very different goals than you do, they aren't really rivals yeah.
I knew about Wally but he wasn't really a rival to me, you only battle him 3 times, and you don't really get to know about him.
I kinda liked Barry because he was so hyperactive and pretty unique, and he collected gym badges too.
Cheren was kinda weird and too serious to me, I didn't really like him either.
Bianca was just very dumb lol.
I didn't play BW2, but from what I've seen Hugh seems like Silver but less arrogant, so meh.
The topic has changed, but whatever.
May/Brendan weren't very hard to me, I did maybe lose a few times to them, but they weren't that hard.
The first champion battle against Blue was very hard for me xD.
I don't really remember Silver at Victory Road, but if I had trouble with it, I would've probably remembered it.
But anyway, welcome.
Username: ShinyXander
Favorite Rival: Silver
Generation two was probably my favorite, so I might be a little biased in this department. I enjoyed battling Silver throughout the game because it was interesting to see him grow as a trainer. He starts out completely enveloped in the idea that he needs the most powerful Pokemon and that the weak don't matter. Later, he begins realizing that power alone isn't enough to win battles. I also enjoy his design and attitude. He is also pretty arrogant, saying things like, "… You again? There's no need to panic. I don't bother with wimps like you." Excuse me, Silver? If I remember correctly, you've lost to me in every battle we've had!
Favorite Rival Theme: I think I have to go with the one from Hoenn, although I do like Silver's theme. It just always felt so upbeat and cheery. I'm not entirely sure why I enjoyed it so much, but I did!
That's why I like arrogant rivals, if they say things like that, you just want to beat them again :P
I'm not a big fan of trumpets, and there are only a view themes from Hoenn that I like, but Silver's theme is my favorite too. It just really fits him.

GaryCyan

Gary Cyan
Years
UN:GaryCyan
Fav Rival: Blue
Rival battle theme is: Hoenn
The Hoenn Region is my favorite region to start with, so maybe thats why, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
It's about time that someone recognized the greatness of the Rivals!

Username: Heretostay123
Favorite Rival: I would say Blue, but he seems to be a common answer. I pick Barry. You can't not like that spazz! He's like Ash kinda, but he's way better at everything.
Answer the current topic: I like Blue's theme. It's the most memorable.

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
Years
UN:GaryCyan
Fav Rival: Blue
Rival battle theme is: Hoenn
The Hoenn Region is my favorite region to start with, so maybe thats why, but I'm not sure.
Welcome!
Hoenn itself was pretty cool, but I didn't really like the trumpets.
Joining

Username: Musaddiq
Favorite Rival: N
Spr_BW_N.png

Answer the current topic: Unova
I Think N Is Most Powerfull Rival For Me
Welcome!
N was pretty hard when you battle him in his castle, when Ghetsis was going to battle me, I thought: Oh crap can I heal first please? Half of my team is pretty much dead. But apparently that thing he did right before you battle Ghetsis was healing your Pokémon.
I'm just not a big fan of green hair lol.
Do you mean BW1's rival theme or BW2's rival theme?
It's about time that someone recognized the greatness of the Rivals!

Username: Heretostay123
Favorite Rival: I would say Blue, but he seems to be a common answer. I pick Barry. You can't not like that spazz! He's like Ash kinda, but he's way better at everything.
Answer the current topic: I like Blue's theme. It's the most memorable.
Welcome!
I like Barry too, because he is so hyperactive.
Blue's theme is very memorable and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back