• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Ruby] Adding New Types

Years
=/
What about this one here?

Spoiler:

Found. But when I select the block, I put 333 in "length" with "hex" and ignore the rest right? Also how do I do this- "(Swap the red ones and then add 08 at the end)" And last question: When I repoint the types tables, I do it in the Sapphire Rom right, not in YAPE?

Sorry for the noobish questions and thanks again! I'm only trying to add the Fairy type in Sapphire and nothing else.

Edit: I'm using HxD but I also have Hex Workshop

View attachment 70580

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Found. But when I select the block, I put 333 in "length" with "hex" and ignore the rest right?

No, not hex. Use decimals, since that's what I said in the tutorial, anyway.
But if you want to use hex, then just convert 333 to hex, which would be 14D. :3

Also how do I do this- "(Swap the red ones and then add 08 at the end)" And last question: When I repoint the types tables, I do it in the Sapphire Rom right, not in YAPE?

Well, since you're using Sapphire, the offset would be 1F96B0, right?
You'll just have to swap the places of the first two values and the last two values.
So, 1F96B0. The firs two values are [1F], and the last two would be [B0]. Just swap them, and then, you'll end up with B0961F, and then, add 08 at the end, and you'll have B0961F08. ;3

Edit: I'm using HxD but I also have Hex Workshop

I never actually used HxD though, so I don't really know what's the difference between the two hex editors. =/

Years
No, not hex. Use decimals, since that's what I said in the tutorial, anyway.
But if you want to use hex, then just convert 333 to hex, which would be 14D. :3

Well, since you're using Sapphire, the offset would be 1F96B0, right?
You'll just have to swap the places of the first two values and the last two values.
So, 1F96B0. The firs two values are [1F], and the last two would be [B0]. Just swap them, and then, you'll end up with B0961F, and then, add 08 at the end, and you'll have B0961F08. ;3

I never actually used HxD though, so I don't really know what's the difference between the two hex editors. =/

Ok so Ive gotten to step 9. How do I know where the new table starts and ends? :3

Thanks for ur help though! :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2017
How do I change an attack's type to be that of the new type I inserted? Also, can I search for the new type inserted on the Pokedex?

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Okay thanks The tool I have is MoveEditor, and I can't find a .ini file for it.

Move Editor?
I don't think I've used that tool before, so I have no idea. =/
But if it has no .ini file, then that tool can't add your newly inserted types.
If you want, you can hex edit the attacks you want to have a new type, or use other move editing tools that has .ini files for you to edit their offsets. :3

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
Would this work on Emerald?
Also, can we sacrifice the ??? type? Curse is now ghost anyways. :P

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Would this work on Emerald?

I don't see why not?
Just remember to save back-ups often and keep in mind of the proper offsets on an Emerald ROM, and that the free space are [00] in Emerald rather than [FF] in Ruby/FireRed.

Also, can we sacrifice the ??? type? Curse is now ghost anyways. :P

Yes you can, if you'd like. :P
But just keep this in mind though...

??? is used for Curse and eggs.;) Just fyi.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
The ??? type is not a good type to replace. Here's why:

According to Bulbapedia, "Issues arise if damaging moves are hacked to be of this type in the Generation II or III games. Since it was considered neither a physical nor a special move, the damage dealt by a ???-type move was minimal, even if the move had the highest possible base power."

I tried to make the Fairy-type over the ???-type in Emerald, and it was a mess. I instead replaced Cute with Fairy. Here's a demonstration of that. Keep this in mind, I'm not advertising myself, this is just for reference:

Fairy-type over ???-type:

Fairy-type over the Cute contest move:

I put it over Cute to match with the colors. It's not Fairy Pink, but it's pretty close. I hope this helped.

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2017
The Cute Icon uses the same palette as the Psychic type Icon, I think. I wonder if there is a way the palette of the Cute Icon can be changed without changing Psychic's color?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
The ??? type is not a good type to replace. Here's why:

According to Bulbapedia, "Issues arise if damaging moves are hacked to be of this type in the Generation II or III games. Since it was considered neither a physical nor a special move, the damage dealt by a ???-type move was minimal, even if the move had the highest possible base power."

I tried to make the Fairy-type over the ???-type in Emerald, and it was a mess. I instead replaced Cute with Fairy. Here's a demonstration of that. Keep this in mind, I'm not advertising myself, this is just for reference:

Fairy-type over ???-type:

Fairy-type over the Cute contest move:

I put it over Cute to match with the colors. It's not Fairy Pink, but it's pretty close. I hope this helped.

hypocritical in this sense:

LCCoolJ95 said:
I'm not trying to necropost or anything, because I do have a quick resource to add.

I've successfullly added the Fairy-type into Pokémon Emerald! It replaces the ???-type, and it also has the strengths/weaknesses/resistances of the Fairy-type in X and Y.
refer to this post.

Found it funny you criticize it then release it to the public as a ??? replacement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Either way, good tut DJG I followed most of it using emerald, but since you only listed the one table offset quickly was stuck. I'm sure this is an easy tut though with ruby and good job!

Years
how do you swap the offset values? this tutorial is hard to follow especially this part it's vague on how to do this... do i have to manually type this in somewhere?

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
how do you swap the offset values? this tutorial is hard to follow especially this part it's vague on how to do this... do i have to manually type this in somewhere?

If by "swap" you mean swapping the first two and last two digits of a 6digit offset, then I explained how to do that in Step 8.

But if you mean replacing the old offset to your new one in a hex editor, then it's also explained in Step 8, with an image inside a Spoiler tag...

Years
but how? where am i swapping them too?

in the hex editor the offsets go

0 1 2 3 4
001F7920 00 05 05 00
001F7930 0F 14 0A 06
001F7940 14 0B 0B 0

i'm swapping "1F7920 TO 20F71F08???

i just don't get how

Back