• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 9 - 11th August 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 9 - 11th August 2012
Download

What, you wanted double battles? Fine, if you insist.

This update isn't quite as big as previous ones, but there's still some interesting stuff in there.

So what's new?

A Miner Update
  • A week or so ago, on a whim, I decided to have a go at making the mining mini-game from the Sinnoh games. Then I finished it, and thought you guys and girls might like it if it was bundled with Essentials. So it was. You can play with it on the mini-game console in the example maps. Have fun!
Battle Ready
  • A number of fixes have been made to the battle system, including one that makes double battles work again. A range of moves and abilities now work properly too. The messages have been slightly improved too in places. The magical stat-boosting effects of Gym badges can now be defined (i.e. depends on the number of badges owned), and you now have a choice of Exp calculation formulae.
Why Can't I Hold All These Items In A Certain Order?
  • Well, now you can! You can now set certain Bag pockets to auto-sort themselves. The only arrangement is the item ID number (i.e. the order in which they appear in items.txt), but that shouldn't be a problem. And speaking of items, if you have a stack of Potions you want to use on your Pokémon, you can now do so one after the other without going back to the Bag after each one.
File Management
  • Do you remember that blank part in the PlayerA metadata? Because I don't! It's now been removed. On a related note, moves.txt has been updated to actually include all the move flags, some of which have been missing for a while. Two ridiculously huge audio files were reduced in size by about 1MB, but that saving was mostly negated by the addition of the various files needed for the new mining mini-game. Never mind, eh?
Let's Get Out Of Here
  • Apparently that's the most common phrase found in any movie (or film, if you're British). That's quite interesting. Anyway, using an Escape Rope will now take you back to the entrance you used to get where you are, which is how it's supposed to work. And while you're making your way back to the Poké Centre, you may come across several different roaming Pokémon of the same species. Yeah, you can do that now.

Most of the bug fixes this time were related to incorrect move/ability/item effects. However, there are plenty of other changes I've made this time, which didn't seem important enough to warrant a mention above (not that the above blurb was supposed to be an exhaustive list of the changes anyway). Check out the change log on the wiki for full details of what's happened.

Enjoy!

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Wow dint think it will be so fast man, downloading now and will check those stuffs. And that mini game :D

xalien95

Developer of Pokémon Omicron
Years
oh.. is it possible to have all specific scripts changes for this new awesome version of Pokémon Essentials? :P

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
awesome. Ive been waiting for this after seeing the report errors in version 8. Good job man. This gets better and better every time. Can't wait to do the new mini game

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Maruno you never cease to amaze me, is their an updated version of a TODO list? I would like to try and help out with what I can.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Wait, so do double battles not work in Version 8? Or are they functional but broken? Looks like I'm gonna have to port my game to Version 9 then, seeing as double battles are a part of the story. I really admire your dedication, Maruno. You're a top bloke.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 9 - 11th August 2012

That was fast! I'm downloading now!

Why Can't I Hold All These Items In A Certain Order?
Maruno, that reference was so awesome I showed it to my friends. They thought it was awesome too.

Edit: The addition of the minigame is a reason to cry tears of joy, thank you so much!

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
oh.. is it possible to have all specific scripts changes for this new awesome version of Pokémon Essentials? :P
You won't get that from me. I'm not in the business of pandering to people who want to update their games in the wrong way.

Wait, so do double battles not work in Version 8? Or are they functional but broken? Looks like I'm gonna have to port my game to Version 9 then, seeing as double battles are a part of the story. I really admire your dedication, Maruno. You're a top bloke.
They crashed when you started one due to some bad code I added for v8. I'm surprised you didn't notice, if they were so important to you.

Maruno, that reference was so awesome I showed it to my friends. They thought it was awesome too.
It's hard to think up those titles, and they're all rather cheesy. I'm ashamed to think some praises me for them.

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Hello, I Honestly would like to know if, One is to go about trying to make their own pokemon game with say 3 regions in one game and add pokemon without having to delete another one. Could Pokemon essentials do more than say Modding Fire red? I was woundering this because I see that Pokemon essentials uses a scripting language that is known unlike what Nintendo uses, and I was woundering if that means Pokemon Essentals has more capabilities than Hacking another rom. So all in all I am woundering if Pokemon Essentials is cappable of holding 3 regions in one game along with pokemon from 1st gen- 5th gen? and another question is if it is possible to Expaned the Poke-dex to include free space to add say up to another 200 pokemon but they are blank and unused untill a pokemon is added to the free space? I can tell that this is not possible with Fire red version or any of the other roms, so Hoping maybe this might be just what Im looking for..

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Hello, I Honestly would like to know if, One is to go about trying to make their own pokemon game with say 3 regions in one game and add pokemon without having to delete another one. Could Pokemon essentials do more than say Modding Fire red? I was woundering this because I see that Pokemon essentials uses a scripting language that is known unlike what Nintendo uses, and I was woundering if that means Pokemon Essentals has more capabilities than Hacking another rom. So all in all I am woundering if Pokemon Essentials is cappable of holding 3 regions in one game along with pokemon from 1st gen- 5th gen? and another question is if it is possible to Expaned the Poke-dex to include free space to add say up to another 200 pokemon but they are blank and unused untill a pokemon is added to the free space? I can tell that this is not possible with Fire red version or any of the other roms, so Hoping maybe this might be just what Im looking for..

Pokemon essentials is NOT a ROM hack and is in NO way related to it. You can make as many regions or add as many Pokemon as you'd want.

Maruno

Years
Pokemon essentials is NOT a ROM hack and is in NO way related to it. You can make as many regions or add as many Pokemon as you'd want.
He never implied it was, mate.

Pokémon Essentials is a good approximation of the official games. There are no limits on the number of Pokémon/regions you can put into an Essentials game (there's a limit of 999 maps, but that can be overcome too if you must). On the other hand, there are almost no attack animations in Essentials, and a number of other parts aren't quite up to scratch. Most people don't seem to mind too much, though.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
They crashed when you started one due to some bad code I added for v8. I'm surprised you didn't notice, if they were so important to you.

I hadn't noticed because I hadn't played up to them yet. I've been working on moving all my stuff from one of the really old versions (with the 240x160 screen) and converting all the relevant events and whatnot so I guess I hadn't gotten to it.

Speaking of which, you can do double battles with a partner can't you? I'm sure I read it on the wiki somewhere. I can make it work either way but with it would be nice.

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
He never implied it was, mate.

Pokémon Essentials is a good approximation of the official games. There are no limits on the number of Pokémon/regions you can put into an Essentials game (there's a limit of 999 maps, but that can be overcome too if you must). On the other hand, there are almost no attack animations in Essentials, and a number of other parts aren't quite up to scratch. Most people don't seem to mind too much, though.

Thank you thats what I figured^_^ So Pokemon Essentials has more possiblitys than ROM modding... Who would be the best to talk to about PE so I know where to start, I already have it on my pc along with RPG-makerXP, but my whole problem is I am getting used to Advance map and alot of the other gba modding tools, and Have No cule on how to use Rpgmaker nore the Ruby scripting language. I know I will be using google and youtube for alot of my learning but would like to know if there are some direct, strate forward tutuorials, pdf files, ebooks anything that will make me able to make a full game, even if I have to add the effects my self I am willing to learn.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Thank you thats what I figured^_^ So Pokemon Essentials has more possiblitys than ROM modding... Who would be the best to talk to about PE so I know where to start, I already have it on my pc along with RPG-makerXP, but my whole problem is I am getting used to Advance map and alot of the other gba modding tools, and Have No cule on how to use Rpgmaker nore the Ruby scripting language. I know I will be using google and youtube for alot of my learning but would like to know if there are some direct, strate forward tutuorials, pdf files, ebooks anything that will make me able to make a full game, even if I have to add the effects my self I am willing to learn.

You can go to the Pokemon Essentials wiki on Maruno's signature, for mapping look up some RPG MAKER XP videos on youtube, and for scripting instead of looking for ruby try to find RGSS tutorials online. But these forums are also here to help new comers. Before I forget Pokemon Essentials has tutorial maps to show people how certain things can be done.

Maruno

Years
I hadn't noticed because I hadn't played up to them yet. I've been working on moving all my stuff from one of the really old versions (with the 240x160 screen) and converting all the relevant events and whatnot so I guess I hadn't gotten to it.

Speaking of which, you can do double battles with a partner can't you? I'm sure I read it on the wiki somewhere. I can make it work either way but with it would be nice.
All battles (trainer and wild) are double battles if you have a partner (unless you're against a trainer with only one Pokémon, in which case I think that's a single battle).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Well, this was rather quick after the last update. Thanks for your amazing work, Maruno!
Just one question, though - I know it's very noob-ish, so to say, but I really don't want to screw anything up:
How do I move my game data to the new version of Pokemon Essentials? What exactly do I have to copy? What to keep? What to delete/edit?

EDIT: I think I did it. I copied all the PBS filed I edited (Encounters, townmap, trainertypes, trainers, metadata & connections), copied the graphics I added, switches and variables (the ones I named and used), and all data. Should I do anything else? Was it okay for me to copy all the data, and do I have to delete the "EscapePoint" metadata from maps that have it? How do dig, teleport & escape rope work now?

Last edited:
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Alright now I have some Questions, that I can only seem to get here.. First things first, I amy trying to create a Pokemon game with all Five regions and a secret sixth region. I want to have a World map, along with individual maps for each region. Now My whole problem is I have read the mulit region thread on wiki but to be Honest, it really didn't help me out to much. Like how do you delete the test maps and all other maps so you can add new maps? and also how do I add each map to its own region? this is very different from modding. I Really Don't know where to start, I looked all over google and youtube for Pokemon essentials mapping tutorials and couldnt find anything that helps me out. Im so confused=( is there a PDF file or something That will tell me all there is to know about Pokemon Essentials and how to make mutiple regions? And I was also woundering if there are Map packs that can be added to Pokemon Essentials, like A Kanto map pack or Johto map pack? or do they have to be made? Im so sorry to be such a pain but this is what I have wanted to do for so long now, and Im tired of not even having a project to work on? I want to make All the regions with all maps and regions connected, then I will worrie about story line and all other events and scripts. Any help would be greatful

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Alright now I have some Questions, that I can only seem to get here.. First things first, I amy trying to create a Pokemon game with all Five regions and a secret sixth region. I want to have a World map, along with individual maps for each region. Now My whole problem is I have read the mulit region thread on wiki but to be Honest, it really didn't help me out to much. Like how do you delete the test maps and all other maps so you can add new maps? and also how do I add each map to its own region? this is very different from modding. I Really Don't know where to start, I looked all over google and youtube for Pokemon essentials mapping tutorials and couldnt find anything that helps me out. Im so confused=( is there a PDF file or something That will tell me all there is to know about Pokemon Essentials and how to make mutiple regions? And I was also woundering if there are Map packs that can be added to Pokemon Essentials, like A Kanto map pack or Johto map pack? or do they have to be made? Im so sorry to be such a pain but this is what I have wanted to do for so long now, and Im tired of not even having a project to work on? I want to make All the regions with all maps and regions connected, then I will worrie about story line and all other events and scripts. Any help would be greatful

Look up for RPG Maker XP tutorials, not pokemon essentials. You will have better results.

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Look up for RPG Maker XP tutorials, not pokemon essentials. You will have better results.

Thank you so much. You seem to help me out alot. I just downloaded the RGSS reference manual, that should help me out with scripting. And What I really would like to know is if there are map packs, like a Kanto or johto map pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back