• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feeding

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
What do you think of pets (like snakes) being fed live "prey"? Is it okay because, if in the wild, it would go down the same way (ending in the death of the prey)? Or is it cruel and mean?

I think it depends on the animal. I have a corn snake and used to give her live prey because she's a constrictor and would kill it first. Then I seen her eating and realized that she was swallowing it live (while it squealed and freaked out). So yeah if it's going to die a slow, painful death, I think pre-killed is better.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I wouldn't be able to kill live animals to give to my pets. I'm way too overprotective over animals to do such things. That's why I have a dog and not a snake :C

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I don't think it's inherently wrong- if it is, I'd see it as inherently wrong as pulling a wild animal out of its habitat to domesticate it to begin with. Hard to watch, though. I couldn't make myself feed a live* animal to an animal.

edited to make sense!

Last edited:

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Does the animal need to be alive to be consumed? I guess I'm just sorta freaked out by it. Unless it's necessary, then why not just feed them a dead animal?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I could do with an already dead animal, since it won't be suffering. But I just can't with a live one.

Years
I dont think I could do it, I hate seeing dead animals,it disturbs me and dont think I could also feed a live animal. Im uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Does the animal need to be alive to be consumed? I guess I'm just sorta freaked out by it. Unless it's necessary, then why not just feed them a dead animal?
That depends on the animal. Some will know it's dead and will refuse to eat. My snake isn't very picky and will eat frozen-thawed mice (which I switched to after hearing the mouse shrieking). It also is just sometimes easier to give them live stuff, but potentially dangerous (for example, if the mouse is old enough to have teeth, it can kill the snake if not killed/eaten quickly enough).

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I think it's fine. When my gecko was alive, I'd give him live crickets. He wouldn't eat them if they were dead so it makes sense.. either feed them live or he'd die.. pretty obvious answer there.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I never really gave my cats animals to eat, though occasionally they'd find like a spider and kill it, never eat it though, so I've never had to worry about that xD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Not sure about rodents, but I can likely deal with giving a lizard or other type of reptile crickets if it eats it. Which is probably why I was more drawn towards the Bearded Dragons (other than one being utterly adorable) than the snakes.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
If I'd read this thread a few days ago, I would have immediately said "yeah there's nothing cruel at all about that! It would have gone down the same way, what's the big deal?"

Then... the other night I watched Jurassic Park and I saw a live cow being lowered to its death to be eaten by a dinosaur and now... omfg. I think what makes it cruel is the human element to it. In the wild it's natural, but when a human who should have a conscience can willingly capture an animal and feed it to another... there's something messed up about that.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I've never directly given my pets "live" animals to eat, though the cats always seem to find some mice or birds.

As for the various pet birds, Sammy (parrot), seems fine with pet store daily diet food bags.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's how it would happen in nature, so I don't see a problem with it. If you don't like seeing that though, either don't watch it, get someone else to feed the animal, or get a pet that doesn't eat live prey. I personally wouldn't want to watch that though, and snakes just aren't the pets for me anyway, so yeah.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
It's no different than mass killing for our own consumption. I feel bad for the mouse to see its life ending, much like I do anything else on the verge of death, but that's how nature works. Animals eat other animals to survive.

With snakes in particular, I do have days where I find them fascinating and I spend a few hours looking at snakes eating things whole.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Not a big deal to me. Mind you, I've never had to personally feed anything live to another animal so maybe if I were the one immediately dropping something to its imminent death I'd be more squeamish about it but it's still a natural part of life.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
That's just how nature works. It's either eat or be eaten, kill or be killed. But if you ask me, I'd want it to stop. Hunting for prey means killing, and killing an animal is just like killing a human.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I've never had to do it (only had dogs and cats so far) but, as other people have mentioned, nature is cruel and all that. I imagine if I did have to do it, the first time would be a bit squeamish but... you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to keep your hypothetical lizard/gecko/snake/whatever alive!

Back