• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeParent Open Ideas

Years
So my local is planning on hosting a PokeParent Open format Win a Box on the 11th. Here are the restrictions:

- 40 Card Deck
- No more than two of each named card, basic energy excluded
- Legal Sets: Sun & Moon, Guardians Rising, Burning Shadows, Shining Legends, Crimson Invasion, Ultra Prism, Forbidden Light, Celestial Storm
- Legal Promos: Sun & Moon Black Star Promos only

The following cards are BANNED from the tournament:

- All GX cards (and EX, although the format restriction should eliminate those anyway)
- Double Colorless Energy
- Beast Ring
- Buzzwole FLI 77

I'm trying to figure out what to build and run. Let's get a good deck going. I'm thinking something fast and cheap will do well here.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today

2x Magnemite
2x Magneton
2x Magnezone (UPR one)
2x Heatran (UPR one)
2x Dunsparce
1x Registeel (CRI)
1x Skitty
1x Delcatty

2x Nest Ball
2x Ultra Ball
1x Timer Ball
2x Energy Retrieval
2x Rare Candy
2x Volkner
2x Cynthia
2x Guzma
1x Acerola
1x Hau
1x Rescue Stretcher

9x Metal

Pokemon

Heatran is obviously the main attacker, netting 30 for two metal (whilst effectively giving itself +30 HP for the turn) and 130 for 3 energy. It has 130 HP making it a hefty main in a format with no EXs or GXs. Being a basic it's less hurt by prizes too.

Magnezone is there to ensure you can reliably recharge Heatran's big attack. Given you can only have 2 of each, I threw in 2 Rare Candy too to insure against Magnezone prizing.

Registeel is a back up here because of it's Turbo arm attack, which allows you to power up Heatran again in the event you can't access Magnezone via Turboarm. Registeel also has 130HP, given it the same bulk as Heatran.

1-1 Skitty line helps with recycling Guzma or Acerola due to your field's relatively hefty retreat costs. Since you can max out at 2 supporters having something to recycle them that's more direct than palpad seems pretty essential to me. It can also hit for 40 which isn't awful

Dunsparce is obvious, it's your best chance at setting up the bench without Brigette or reliable access to fan club.

Trainers

2-2-1 Ball split gives you access to Dunsparce or one of your big basics for free, gives you a magnezone or magneton or Delcatty for a double discard (Delcatty can obviously bring back supporters you discard for ultra ball, you can use energy retrieval or Registeel for energy and Stretcher can claim pokemon back). Timer Ball is just there as another chance to bring out Magnezone, it doesn't hurt to have it. If I was going to drop anything from the list though it would be this.

Cynthia is self explanatory

Guzma and Acerola give you a bit of control over the field and mitigate your heavy retreat costs.

Volkner gets you rare candy, ultra ball, energy retrieval, Stretcher or nest ball when you need it.

Stretcher is self explanatory

Hau is just a free drawer, in a format like this it's good enough, although maybe worth replacing with Professor Kukui.

Energy

9 Metal should be fine here, you can manage multiple attachments per turn with magnezone and you can manage acceptable recycle attachments via Registeel.

Overall you have a coverage of resistance against anyone playing Garb, Crobat or Swallot, you have bulky HP and the ability to consistently hit 130. Fire will give you a lot of trouble, but that is all that can. Things like Empoleon will be too slow and without DCE you're pretty safe against Mach Strike decks.

Last edited:
Back