• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: VG Music Studio (In Development)

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
Ok, I know i sound stupid but how do you build it using visual studio code, I was going to read the README but I dont have ms docs

Readme files are just text, you can open them in anything really
I don't know how you'd open a C# project in visual studio code. I use visual studio 2017

The current version no longer seems to build, throws

Code:
Error	CS1955	Non-invocable member 'ListView.DoubleBuffered' cannot be used like a method.	GBAMusicStudio	

\GBAMusicStudio\UI\TrackEditor.cs	48	N/A

By the way, awesome work on this tool so far! This has serious potential and as far as I'm concerned anything that could let me throw out Sappy for good would be glorious lol

This should be fixed with the commit I just sent

Speaking of, here's how the program looks now:
Spoiler:

Old:
Spoiler:

Still working on it, but I really like that for now.

Last edited:

Kermalis

White Hat
Years
Oh,

But can you explain how to build it though?

(Plus the pictures aren't showing up for me

To build it you just need to open the .sln file in Visual Studio 2017 and press the green start button:
9ryeFTO.png

Anyway, I've updated the program with a disassembler. This allows you to save the currently-loaded song as an ASM .s file

LukeeGD

Mostly a Music Hacker
Years
I finally got it to build myself! yay...
So I first installed Visual Studio Build Tools 2017, got NuGet separately, downloaded Humanizer.Core.2.2.0, ObjectListView.Official.2.9.1, and YamlDotNet.4.3.1 with NuGet, put them all in a folder called packages where the .sln is located, then dragged the .sln to MsBuild. It gave me 5 warnings and no errors this time.

edit: In short, use Visual Studio 2017 and not 2015 or lower hahaha

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
There are actually some first and second party GBA games that don't use the Music Player 2000 (MP2k) sound engine, games such as the Super Mario Advance series don't use the MP2k engine at all, while games such as Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Wario Land 4 have one part using the MP2k sound engine and the other part using a custom sound engine.

It may be possible to have an option to allocate custom offsets for banks, sequences and waves. As well as options to extract the data, convert such sequence data to ASM from those offsets and replace any data from those offsets when reassembled. If that can be done for games that don't use the MP2k sound engine, it would make it possible to modify the sound data in most games.

Some games tend to use just pointers and headers for sound data, instead of MP2k with it being in one table containing all the sequences, banks and waves.

Anyways, it's great to see another sound editing tool being developed for GBA games, it certainly will help a lot~

Last edited:

SlowbroMusicyo

Kumquat
Years
To build it you just need to open the .sln file in Visual Studio 2017 and press the green start button:
9ryeFTO.png

Anyway, I've updated the program with a disassembler. This allows you to save the currently-loaded song as an ASM .s file
OK, I did that and I keep getting 5 errors

(I'm sorry if I'm coming off as passive aggressive but I really want to try this thing out since sappy can get tiring to use)

Years
Great project! Except sappy, there is no tool to edit the musics in gba games, and moreover you often need to change the tracks and instruments with anvil studio for example.
I had difficulty importing musics in my rom hack.

Platinum Lucario

Years
Looking around for the documentation on the data for various sound engine data really helps with the progress being made for GBA Music Studio. If anyone manages to find anything regarding info about any sound engine (including the GAX sound engine) on various websites, posting a link or screenshot to the documentation will help with the project moving forward in every way possible~

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 17, 2019
Is there a proper way to edit Games.yaml in the build? I tried adding another game, but now the program doesn't open

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
Years
Some quick issues:

1. The length of the bars can be extended like Sappy to more accurately represent the volume of notes.

2. Is it possible to add a function so that it can record the playing music into a wave or mp3 file?

Platinum Lucario

Years
This project is certainly not dead, GBA Music Studio is still being worked on by Kermalis. And it just keeps getting better too!

Also, for those who don't feel like building the project from source, there is already a pre-built binary on the project's Github page, you can find it right here.

For anyone looking for updates on GBA Music Studio, please keep on an eye on the commits made on the project's Github page!

Back