• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Adding Mega Evolutions

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Online now
Then you have moves like Quick Attack whose names don't fit into the move box. I believe Aromatherapy is the widest move name (which depends on the width of each letter), although when I was designing the HGSS-style Fight menu I left some extra space just in case (and because cramming in a barely-fitting name doesn't look good).

You can only Mega Evolve your Pokémon if you're using a move. It makes sense to put the button in the Fight menu and not the command menu.
Quick Attack/Aromatherapy is just one letter bigger than Gastro Acid in screen, just use more 4/2 pixels in each box. Anyway, in XY the letter limit increased, so Thunderpunch now is "Thunder Punch".

And how about if the button is in the command menu and bring the player to the fight menu (the same way that "Fight" option does, but making to mega evolve)?

EDIT:
Why not just next to the HP bar?

Or even have it ask after selecting your move? so it is not so much taking up space as it is taking up time.
Your first suggestion is valid in absence of better ways, only remember about Double Battles.

I don't think that your second suggestion is practical.

Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Both are good suggestions in my opinion. While having a 'button in the command menu that brings the player to the fight menu to mega evolve' is logical there's still the exact same issue: SPACE.

Although impractical it is an alternative worth keeping in mind. Think about it; no extra button graphic, just text saying "Mega Evolve __________?" Even though it defies the original method of Mega Evolution it doesn't mean we have to make it identical, we have to remember that Maruno is like a one-man army when it comes to essentials - he does everything.

It'd be better to take into consideration, difficulty of scripting, the amount of new graphics to be made, how long it would take to script this stuff and how much scripting Maruno actually wants to do.

To point out a problem also with just having the "Megastone" instead of the "nite" stones is variation (Mega Mewtwo/Charizard X and Y).

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Function what way? The way they do in XY? I suppose people would prefer it if they did...

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I really need to play XY so I can fully grasp this thing.

I guess I was kind of trying to steer the discussion towards alternative implementation really, which the option for already exists in essentials.

Putting the option to evolve in a message after (or even before) selecting your move may not be the most practical, but Mega Evolutions in my opinion are not practical anyways.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I my self might as well just make Mega Evo like a Extra Evolution that needs to have a stone in-order to evolve like Eevee does ... or like other pokemon that need stones ...

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Online now
I my self might as well just make Mega Evo like a Extra Evolution that needs to have a stone in-order to evolve like Eevee does ... or like other pokemon that need stones ...
This destroy the mega evolution concept and imbalance the game...

Maruno

Years
I think he can do whatever he wants with his game. If he wants to deviate from "canon", that's up to him.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014

Can we actually add fourth evolutions to evolution lines? Never tried that one out :D

Maruno

Years
The only restriction on evolution is that, if you have convergent evolution (i.e. two different species can both evolve into the same species), then breeding that convergent species will only ever result in the lower-numbered pre-evolution species.

This scenario doesn't exist, of course.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
So is this idea pretty much out the window at this point? My understanding is that the only thing really stopping this from being included is the screen size would need adjusting which means all the screens and picture need to be redone and so forth. Right?

Maruno

Years
Finding somewhere to squeeze a "Mega Evolve" button is the least of the problems.

At the moment, using an item is hard-coded to work immediately. Not "first", but "as part of choosing an action for the round". That is, before the opponent makes their action choice. This behaviour has a few problems with it, notably in double battles, such as if you use an item with your first Pokémon and then cancel your choice of what your second Pokémon does. The battle system requires a significant change in order to make item usage work as it should.

I mention item usage because Mega Evolution happens before it. So should switching Pokémon, actually. This major change to the battle system is required first before Mega Evolution can be added. This is the "biggie", the main obstacle. I wouldn't want to just ignore it because I'm not a half-arse kind of person and because it's actually not working quite the way it should anyway.

There's then the matter of how the Mega Evolution button should work. Should it be selectable like a move is? It'd be easier to have it as a separate option ("Press Z to register Mega Evolution") and keep the moves as the only things you can select. Even so, that functionality needs to be created out of nowhere and, yes, graphics fiddled with. Ideally it wouldn't interfere with the existing design, since not every game will have Mega Evolutions and we don't want a blatant meaningless space in the GUI for a button that will never appear.

Then there's implementing the Mega Evolution forms in the first place. Implementation has been discussed previously, and I maintain that forms would be the way to go (rather than creating some new form-like system specially for Mega Evolutions). Since the base for this actually exists, implementing that is relatively straightforward.

There are some other things too that need to be done, which I'm sure I've mentioned previously. AI, for example.

I would be interested to hear how people who claim to have implemented Mega Evolution in their games have managed it.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I myself am not using Mega Evolutions as they are in the original X Y. They function differently and as normal evolution forms atm. As far as I know, the other individuals putting them into the game are just adding them as forms or evolutions atm.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
That's my plan, branching evolution paths with their stats toned down a bit.

Other will be straight up event pokemon.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
Can we actually add fourth evolutions to evolution lines? Never tried that one out :D
i dont see why we can not have as many evolution lines as we want as its just an entry in the pokemon.txt file

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Finding somewhere to squeeze a "Mega Evolve" button is the least of the problems.

At the moment, using an item is hard-coded to work immediately. Not "first", but "as part of choosing an action for the round". That is, before the opponent makes their action choice. This behaviour has a few problems with it, notably in double battles, such as if you use an item with your first Pokémon and then cancel your choice of what your second Pokémon does. The battle system requires a significant change in order to make item usage work as it should.

I mention item usage because Mega Evolution happens before it. So should switching Pokémon, actually. This major change to the battle system is required first before Mega Evolution can be added. This is the "biggie", the main obstacle. I wouldn't want to just ignore it because I'm not a half-arse kind of person and because it's actually not working quite the way it should anyway.

There's then the matter of how the Mega Evolution button should work. Should it be selectable like a move is? It'd be easier to have it as a separate option ("Press Z to register Mega Evolution") and keep the moves as the only things you can select. Even so, that functionality needs to be created out of nowhere and, yes, graphics fiddled with. Ideally it wouldn't interfere with the existing design, since not every game will have Mega Evolutions and we don't want a blatant meaningless space in the GUI for a button that will never appear.

Then there's implementing the Mega Evolution forms in the first place. Implementation has been discussed previously, and I maintain that forms would be the way to go (rather than creating some new form-like system specially for Mega Evolutions). Since the base for this actually exists, implementing that is relatively straightforward.

There are some other things too that need to be done, which I'm sure I've mentioned previously. AI, for example.

I would be interested to hear how people who claim to have implemented Mega Evolution in their games have managed it.

I guess I am just wondering what your plans are for this feature. Do you plan on trying to actively figure something out? Or are you just going to let it lay? If it was a graphics issue holding it back above anything else I would be more than happy to redo the screens, but it sounds like you would like to take a less invasive approach to the interface and even then there are other hurdles in the way, which unfortunately I am unable to really help with it seems.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2018
Hey! I managed to add MegaEvolutions into my project, here's a video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5xooFXuD30

Here's how it works:

Your Pokémon needs to be holding a specific item (PurpleStone for Mewtwo) and have +220 of happiness.

Then during battle you use the MegaStone from your bag and your Pokémon will megaevolve and then attack in the same turn.

You can only MegaEvolve one Pokémon per Battle and it will return to normal after the battle is over.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
Here's how it works:

Your Pokémon needs to be holding a specific item (PurpleStone for Mewtwo) and have +220 of happiness.

Then during battle you use the MegaStone from your bag and your Pokémon will megaevolve and then attack in the same turn.

You can only MegaEvolve one Pokémon per Battle and it will return to normal after the battle is over.

That's pretty awesome, man! Could you provide some details on how you implemented this into the game? The item activation part I get, but how do you utilize an item in battle without your opponent immediately reacting to it (i.e. how do you Mega Evolve without that costing you a turn?)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2018
That's pretty awesome, man! Could you provide some details on how you implemented this into the game? The item activation part I get, but how do you utilize an item in battle without your opponent immediately reacting to it (i.e. how do you Mega Evolve without that costing you a turn?)
In PokeBattle_Battler I have this

Code:
# Blastoise
    if isConst?(self.species,PBSpecies,:BLASTOISE) && hp>0
      if [email protected]
      [email protected]
      megaevolved=true
      end
    end
    if megaevolved
      pbUpdate(true)
      @battle.scene.pbChangePokemon(self,@pokemon)
      @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("¡{1} mega evoluciono!",pbThis))
      pbEndTurn(choice)
      pbBeginTurn(choice)
    end
So when the Pokémon MegaEvolves its turns ends and begins again, It's not the best solution because if the opponent uses a high priority move like quick attack or there's a weather active the Pokémon will be affected before it can attack but I can't figure out how to fix that and I tried everything.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
In PokeBattle_Battler I have this

Code:
# Blastoise
    if isConst?(self.species,PBSpecies,:BLASTOISE) && hp>0
      if [email protected]
      [email protected]
      megaevolved=true
      end
    end
    if megaevolved
      pbUpdate(true)
      @battle.scene.pbChangePokemon(self,@pokemon)
      @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("¡{1} mega evoluciono!",pbThis))
      pbEndTurn(choice)
      pbBeginTurn(choice)
    end

So when the Pokémon MegaEvolves its turns ends and begins again, It's not the best solution because if the opponent uses a hight priority move like quick attack or there's a weather active the Pokémon will be affected before it can attack but I can't figure out how to fix that and I tried everything.

Well, I guess that makes increased priority moves even more broken than they already are :D
Just kidding, though. This is amazing, man :)
Thanks for sharing this amazing code snippet.

Back