• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Patching & Emulation

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
It's probably the emulator and not the game.

All you can do is try to make sure everything as was, and if it doesn't work, you might have to restart. Be sure and copy your game folder as often as possible when working to avoid it happening again.

Are you suggesting that I re-download the emulator again?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
If the game still boots up, you don't need to. But if it won't read your save file anymore... even after you've put everything back where it should be, you have no option but to just start a new game.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
If the game still boots up, you don't need to. But if it won't read your save file anymore... even after you've put everything back where it should be, you have no option but to just start a new game.

There are only 3 files within the folder: The Game itself, the rtc., and the sav.

However, it appears there is nothing I can do. All that happens is another sav. file is created when I boot up the game.

Edit: Question, if I used Recovery Mode, could that fix the issue?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
There are only 3 files within the folder: The Game itself, the rtc., and the sav.

However, it appears there is nothing I can do. All that happens is another sav. file is created when I boot up the game.

Edit: Question, if I used Recovery Mode, could that fix the issue?

Like a system restore to before it happened?
I doubt that'll work but you could try it. Just be glad it was gen 2, a restart isn't that big of a deal.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
Like a system restore to before it happened?
I doubt that'll work but you could try it. Just be glad it was gen 2, a restart isn't that big of a deal.

Nah, it didn't. Yeah, I just hate having to start over a game that I invested my time into as is. But thanks for your help anyway.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Quick question;
So, I am using Visual boy advance to emulate a pokemon ROM hack, and I forgot to change the save file type to 128k and all that, so that loading from the start menu doesn't work after beating the elite four...
Is there any way, whatsoever, to fix this and revive my game file so I can start playing? Or do I have no shot?
I still have save files both from before battling the elite four champion and during the actual credits (not using the in-game save feature, but rather the VBA's save feature), so I still have my data, I just can't continue as it restarts my game.
So, is there any chance of fixing this, or will I have to restart or keep playing without beating the elite four?

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen May 25, 2022
VBA Help

How do I set my VisualBoyAdvance emulator to save using .sav files instead of .sa1 files? I'm trying to use PKHex to edit my Pokemon for various reasons and I don't know if PKHex is compatible with .sa1 files.

Not sure if this is a save file issue or a PKHex/PokeGen issue. Please help. Couldn't find any PKHex/PokeGen tutorials for VBA or other GBA emulators.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Hi all,

Been ages since i was last on this site and not sure on how to post a new thread. Apologies if this is misplaced.

Anyways, I'm taking a look at a project I started over 10 years ago. Found that almost a quarter of the beta is almost done. Wanted to see if anyone here is interested to test the alpha of the game.

The game is basically a remake of Kanto and features new maps and story lines. Also has a few other regions slated to be in it. Feel free to DM me or reply here if interested. Thank you

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
How do I set my VisualBoyAdvance emulator to save using .sav files instead of .sa1 files? I'm trying to use PKHex to edit my Pokemon for various reasons and I don't know if PKHex is compatible with .sa1 files.

Not sure if this is a save file issue or a PKHex/PokeGen issue. Please help. Couldn't find any PKHex/PokeGen tutorials for VBA or other GBA emulators.
This is late but rename it to .sav, and all of those issues should be gone. Except for your emulator anyway... I remember VBA Link being stubborn about that format.

You should probably also consider updating your emulator, meaning you don't have to deal with .sa1 ever again (judging by this thread people don't hear that a lot, but we do have much better now). Refer to Question #1 here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=412126

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
not sure if this is the right place, or if anyone still looks, but ive been trying to patch ups files for months now, and it doesn't work no matter where i get the file, at first i thought it was my copy of fire red, but the copy plays just fine, so then i tried to find a different patcher but couldn't find anything other than Tsukuyomi. what should i do?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 9, 2022
I searched for solutions to this on the current site and Github, but came to the conclusion that I have the wrong version of Fire Red? Mines is not 1.0. I keep receiving this error "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application" when I attempt to use any Pokemon editor.

Right place to post this?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 9, 2022
I searched for solutions to this on the current site and Github, but came to the conclusion that I have the wrong version of Fire Red? Mines is not 1.0. I keep receiving this error "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application" when I attempt to use any Pokemon editor.

Right place to post this?

Few weeks late, but after some experimentation, it was due to my US 1.1 Rom. The 1.0 FR I purchased works fine.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Feb 22, 2019
so i downloaded Pokemon fire red and it plays fine, but i wanted to play mega moemon fire red but when i patch it using lunar ips it gets stuck and i can't even get to the star menu. Im using VBA btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
so i downloaded Pokemon fire red and it plays fine, but i wanted to play mega moemon fire red but when i patch it using lunar ips it gets stuck and i can't even get to the star menu. Im using VBA btw.

Are you sure you have the Fire Red 1.0 (Squirrels) Version? (Or the version of Fire Red that the thread says you should use?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 26, 2019
How do I make another save file???

Asking about pokemon spork I'm trying to have another save file. Iv tried everything I can think of, Iv made a copy but the game I'm playing gets overwritten even when I do it on another file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 27, 2019
Hey quick question, is it possible to limit the amount of Pokemon on my team to a certain number on my hack? Firered btw

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Aug 19, 2019
Hello everyone, so I am EXTREMELY BRAND NEW to rom hacking. I've learnt a FEW basics like warping and map design. I have no idea yet how to script but ill figure it out. So my plan for the rom is for the player to start in their house and walk downstairs to then find their mum is getting robbed by team rocket. Having no pokemon u look for oak on route 1, he takes u to the lab and gives u a pokemon. The rival follows u home to help with team rocket. This initiates a double battle. Does anyone have ANY IDEA on how to implement this and these events? Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 7, 2020
Ok i'm just starting a fakemon fan game so if i can get some tips or even some sprites i would be thankful

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Yeah I have a question in regards to Pokemon Ruby, there are multiple hacks I am trying to play and as far as I am aware I am using the correct version of the rom but I still get a white screen changing save types doesn't seem to work either By the way I am using VBA in case it is an issue with that specific emulator if any one knows what the issue is please respond

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Can someone please help? Everytime I attempt to run a rom hack on VBA the screen comes up with the words all jumbled and is unplayable. Link to image below

s!AjoWDOLigcRbgqtk1AdYPRV_yHQO9g

Back