• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code’s Yellow Journey

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Once upon a summer morning a 10 year old boy named Code set out on his Pokémon journey, only to be stopped by an Old Man as the boy stepped into the Tall Grass. The Old Man notes the dangers when a...

pikachu.gif

Wild Pikachu suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Rather than throw out a Pokemon to engage it, the Old Man decides to throw a Poke Ball at it and succeeds in catching it(Not all Old Man's are created equal as the boy would soon find out).

Back in the lab, the boy's childhood rival stood patiently for a Pokemon, only to snatch the Pokémon you were to be given by the Old Man. Rather than putting a foot up the boy's ass like the Grandfather he should be, the Old Man opts to give Code the Wild Pikachu he had just caught. After a quick and tense battle, Code defeats his childhood rival wherein Pikachu grows to level 6 and learns Tail Whip.

After setting out for Viridian City, Code comes across a PokeMart employee out trying to drum up business and gives out a free sample(a Potion). Upon reaching Viridian City and entering the PokeMart, Code was tasked with delivering a parcel to the Old Man. So Code heads back to Pallet, training Pikachu along the way before he is tasked with catching all 151 Pokémon in Kanto. A tall task but one Code doesn't take lightly.

North of Viridian City is Viridian Forest and no Pokemon within its confines interests him. So Code battles and trains his Pikachu to level 13 before backtracking to Route 22 and giving his childhood rival another butt-kicking. After training Pikachu to level 15, Code had managed to teach it Double Team to go along with Thundershock, Quick Attack and Tail Whip. His first Gym challenge was Brock and to say this challenge was tedious was exactly that as it will require ample use of Double Team and Tail Whip to stand a chance. Crushing the Jr.Trainer in Brock's Gym, I started the battle against Brock with my trusty partner.

Spr_Y_Brock.png

Battle with Pewter Gym Leader Brock

Brock starts the battle with Geodude(level 10). Unlike his Red/Blue counterpart, Geodude is two levels lower and doesn't know Defense Curl. This makes the battle a long but tedious affair as I have to avoid taking damage. Hence the overall battle looked like the following:

Brock sends out...
geodude.gif

(level 10)

Code sends out....
pikachu.gif

(level 15)

Pikachu uses Double Team(Evasion +1)
Geodude uses Tackle(dealing minor damage)
Pikachu uses Double Team(Evasion +2)
Geodude uses Tackle(misses)
Pikachu uses Double Team(Evasion +3)
Pikachu uses Double Team(Evasion +4)
Pikachu uses Double Team(Evasion +5)
Geodude uses Tackle(deals minor damage. Lucky bastard)
Code uses Potion on Pikachu(fully healed)
Pikachu uses Double Team(Evasion +6)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Geodude Defense -1)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Geodude Defense -2)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Geodude Defense -3)
Geodude uses Tackle(deals minor damage lucky bastard)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Geodude Defense -4)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Geodude Defense -5)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Geodude Defense -6)
Pikachu uses Quick Attack(not very effective but deals x4 damage due to -6 stages, almost a KO)
Pikachu uses Quick Attack(KO's Geodude)

Brock's Onix is also two levels lower than its Red/Blue counterpart but still has the same moveset. With Evasion maxed, this battle should go a bit quicker but Code still has to weaken its Defense to take it down quickly. As such the battle was like so...

Brock sends out...
onix.gif

(level 12)

Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Onix Defense -1)
Onix uses Bind(misses)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Onix Defense -2)
Onix uses Tackle(misses)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Onix Defense -3)
Onix uses Bide
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Onix Defense -4)
Onix passes turn(using Bide)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Onix Defense -5)
Onix passes turn(using Bide)
Pikachu uses Tail Whip(Onix Defense -6)
Onix uses Bide(but fails due to no damage taken)
Pikachu uses Quick Attack(not very effective but deals x4 damage from -6 stages)
Onix uses Tackle(misses)
Pikachu uses Quick Attack(Critical Hit!!! Onix faints).

Code is victorious and wins the Boulderbadge. With badge in hand, Code heads to Mount Moon, battling Trainer after Trainer with Pikachu. Finally, Code comes across a Pokemon worthy of his tutelage in...

sandshrew.gif

Sandshrew!
(level 8)

Backtracking to Viridian Forest, Code trained Sandshrew relentlessly. Before long it knew Slash and proceeded to shred any foe sent before it. Upon arriving in Cerulean City, Code met a sweet person who takes care of injured Pokémon. One such Pokémon was a,,,,
bulbasaur.gif

Bulbasaur
(level 10)

and she insisted I take it. Not being one to refuse such a request, Code took the Grass Type under his wing and trained it to match his other Pokémon in his arsenal. It wasn't long before Code was ready to challenge Misty, the Tomboyish Mermaid.

To be continued...

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Spr_Y_Misty.png

Misty

Misty sends out...
staryu.gif

(level 18)

Code sends out...
bulbasaur.gif

(level 18)

Staryu used Tackle(dealing minor damage)
Bulbasaur used Vine Whip(dealing major damage)
Staryu used Harden(Defense +1)
Bulbasaur used Vine Whip(KO's Staryu)

Misty sends out....
starmie.gif

(level 21)

Misty used X-Defend(Defense +1)
Bulbasaur used Vine Whip(dealing major damage)
Misty used Bubblebeam(dealming moderate damage... ugh)
Bulbasaur used Vine Whip(but missed!!!)
Code used Potion(restoring Bulbasaur back to ~80% Health)
Misty used Harden(Defense +2)
Misty used Bubblebeam(again dealing moderate damage)
Bulbasaur used Vine Whip(KO'd Starmie on a Critical Hit!)

Code claims the Cascade Badge and moves onward towards Bill's House wherein he runs into his rival once more. Giving him a fine butt-kicking and defeating all the trainers, Code obtains an S.S. Ticket for later. Code returns to Cerulean, defeats a Team Rocket Grunt for Dig(promptly teaching it to Sandshrew) and battles his way to Vermilion City. After grinding through the numerous trainers on board(with Pikachu battling the Sailors and Sandshrew the rest), Code eventually has a run in with his rival once more(wherein a butt kicking ensued). Code acquired the Cut HM but before challenging Lt.Surge, Code felt the need to train some more east of Vermilion. After grinding Sandshrew to 25, Code challenged the Vermilion Gym:

Lt.Surge

Lt.Surge sends out....
raichu.gif

(level 28)

Code sends out....
sandshrew.gif

(level 25)

This battle didn't take long.... and it's embarrassing to say the least....

Raichu used Thunderbolt(had no effect!)
Sandshrew Dug a Hole!
Raichu used Mega Punch(missed)
Sandshrew used Dig(OHKO)

Code claimed the Thunder Badge. Code then proceeded towards Rock Tunnel, battling lots of Trainers along the way and grinding his Pokemon to level 30 before stopping at the Pokemon Center at the entrance of Rock Tunnel.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
just about to make a thread for one of these myself but I'm going to go nuzlocke i think

looks like you're having fun with your game so far

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
just about to make a thread for one of these myself but I'm going to go nuzlocke i think

looks like you're having fun with your game so far

Yeah I'm doing a NFE run(no evolving). Debating what team I want to go with and whether I want Squirtle or someone else as my Water Type. Good luck on yours.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Yeah I'm doing a NFE run(no evolving). Debating what team I want to go with and whether I want Squirtle or someone else as my Water Type. Good luck on yours.
yeah i reckon i miss out on the starters as it just gets boring using the same pokemon everytime, will see where the nuzlocke gods take me

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
yeah i reckon i miss out on the starters as it just gets boring using the same pokemon everytime, will see where the nuzlocke gods take me

Heh one thing about NFE's is that Snorlax, Lapras, Tauros and other non-evolution species are possibilities. It's just if I go that route, I literally could go with one, two or all three and just crush hardcore lol. Plus if I give everyone Double Team, I can abuse Generation 1's glaring flaw with regards to Badges(12.5% boost to stats per stage with corresponding badge. That nugget is in the FAQ Nah is making).

Thinking of going with Tentacool, :t037::Vulpix! and Drowzee(I'll have to backtrack for this one) to fill out my team.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Been several days but before proceeding onward, I opted to backtrack to catch my next team member east of Vermilion(fortunately I had a Bike for this). Being a NFE run, I also try to forego having Psychic Types due to their broken advantage in Generation 1. I opted to forego that stipulation because well... I can. Abra line would be insane to go with(seeing as Abra doesn't learn anything) and Mr.Mime is too slow for my liking(not to mention requires trading a Clefairy for it) so I chose to go with Drowzee and its signature Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo. Tack on Psychic and Double Team(for evasion/powering up my stats) and yeah... you got a pretty decent NFE Psychic Type.

Ultimately found...
drowzee.gif

Drowzee level 17

Trained him up a bit to match the rest of my team at level 30 and proceeded through Rock Tunnel in the dark(Flash = overrated). Bulbasaur led my team and did the bulk of the fighting due to the fact I won't have too many places to train it in the coming battles so I figure I'd give it my undivided attention(with Pikachu giving it some spells against some trainers with Flying Types and occasionally trainers with Fire Types). Ultimately broke through to the end and arrived in Lavender Town to recuperate. After which, I circumvented most of the trainers by cutting through a shortcut and down the underground path to Celadon. There I acquired my next team member in....

vulpix.gif

Vulpix level 18

All Hail the mighty Vulpix. Bought some Water to open the shortcut to Saffron and backtracked to Cerulean to train Vulpix. Before long I challenged the Celadon Gym by grinding against all the Female Trainers. Managed to get Vulpix up to level 32 before facing Erika.

Spr_Y_Erika.png

Gym Battle with Erika

Throughout this battle I had the speed edge until Erika got wise and got lucky at the same time. Fortunately for me, I had some lucky moments.

Erika sends out...
tangela.gif

Tangela Level 30

Code sends out...
vulpix.gif

Vulpix Level 32

Vulpix used Ember(dealing major damage)
Tangela used Constrict(dealing minor damage)
Tangela used Constrict(dealing minor damage and Vulpix?s Speed -1)
Vulpix used Quick Attack(Tangela fainted!)

Up next was her Weepinbell. This bout was pure luck since Erika gave herself the speed edge and took advantage of it until stupid AI took over giving me an opening where luck truly took hold.

weepinbell.gif

Weepinbell Level 32

Weepinbell used Stun Spore(Vulpix is now paralyzed)
Weepinbell used Wrap(Vulpix can?t move)
Weepinbell used Wrap(Vulpix takes minor damage)
Weepinbell used Sleep Powder(Opening for Vulpix)
Vulpix used Ember(Critical Hit, Weepinbell fainted!)

Finally her Ace in Gloom was a pain to say the least. Fortunately I did manage to defeat it.
gloom.gif

Gloom Level 32

Gloom used Acid(dealing moderate damage, Vulpix Defense -1)
Gloom used Petal Dance(Not very Effective but Vulpix fainted!)

I send out Drowzee(also at level 32) and thankfully have the speed edge because Oddish line is a snail when it comes to speed.

Drowzee used Confusion(dealing major damage, Gloom fainted!) to claim the Rainbow badge.

I then cleared out Rocket Game Corner for the Silph Scope and then Pokemon Tower for the Poke Flute wherein I removed Snorlax and obtained the Super Rod. I then caught my final Team member in...

tentacool.gif

Tentacool level 15

Spent the next hour or so grinding it to 32(I hate slow Xp group Pokemon). New update to follow!

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I completely forgot about this Let's Play so I hope everyone forgives me. With PokeFlute in hand I cleared out the other Snorlax blocking Cycling road so that I could train in my favorite training spot. The spot is very unfriendly to Bug and Grass Types(hence it's not fun for Bulbasaur) but yields tons of experience since Ponyta, Doduo, Dodrio and Fearow all spawn there. Aside from Doduo, each wild encounter is 600+ xp, which is really good when training Pokémon in the 30's and 40's. Thankfully most of my team was already in the 40's so all I had to work on was Tentacool. After grinding everyone to 48, I made my way down to Fuchsia Gym and made my way to Koga where I had to go and heal several times from contracting Poison. With everyone ready to go, I challenged Koga with my NFE group.

Spr_Y_Koga.png

Battle with Koga

Yellow version Koga is way different than his Red/Blue counterpart as one tactic of using a Poison Type to battle him doesn't work here since all of his Pokémon know Psychic. Fortunately, they're all Bug types so Fire and Flying are Super Effective to his Pokémon in addition to Psychic and Ground. The early part of the battle was easy but, as always, his Venomoth is a real pain in the arse.

Koga sends out...
venonat.gif

Venonat Level 44

Code sends out...
vulpix.gif

Vulpix Level 49

Vulpix used Flamethrower(Venonat fainted from OHKO)
Repeated this outcome against his next two Venonats(level 46 and 48). Got a critical hit on the last one. As I noted above though... everything changed when the Venomoth attacked...

Koga sends out...
venomoth.gif

Venomoth Level 50

Venomoth used Toxic(Vulpix was badly poisoned!)
Vulpix used Flamethrower(dealing Superior Damage)
Venomoth used Double Team(Evasion +1)
Vulpix used Flamethrower(attack missed!)
Code used Full Restore on Vulpix!
Venomoth used Double Team(Evasion +2)
Venomoth used Toxic(Vulpix badly poisoned!)
Vulpix used Confuse Ray(Venomoth is now Confused!)
Venomoth used Psychic(Critical hit! Vulpix fainted!)

Code sends out...
drowzee.gif

Drowzee Level 48

Venomoth used Leech Life(dealing moderate damage. Sucked life from Drowzee!)
Drowzee used Psychic(attack missed!)
Code swaps Drowzee for...
sandshrew.gif

Sandshrew Level 49

Venomoth used Toxic(Sandshrew badly Poisoned!)
Venomoth used Double Team(Evasion +3)
Sandshrew used Swift(dealing moderate damage)
Venomoth used Double Team(Evasion +4)
Sandshrew used Swift(dealing moderate damage)
Venomoth used Psychic(Dealing Major Damage but Sandshrew hangs on!)
Sandshrew used Swift(Venomoth fainted!)

Code claims the Soul Badge which grants the ability to Surf(which I go obtain along with Strength). After backtracking to Saffron City, I challenge Sabrina.

Spr_Y_Sabrina.png

Battle with Sabrina

To say this battle was easier is an understatement. Sabrina has the powerful Abra line but her Abra is exploitable and I exploit it for this battle. Beforehand though, I grab plenty of X-Accuracy.

Sabrina sends out...
abra.gif

Abra Level 50

Code sends out...
pikachu.gif

Pikachu Level 50

Pikachu used Double Team(Evasion +1)
Abra used Teleport(did nothing)
Pikachu used Double Team(Evasion +2)
Abra used Flash(but failed!)
Pikachu used Double Team(Evasion +3)
Abra used Flash(Pikachu's Accuracy -1)
Pikachu used Double Team(Evasion +4)
Abra used Flash(but it failed)
Pikachu used Double Team(Evasion +5)
Pikachu used Double Team(Evasion +6)
Abra used Flash(but failed!)

Before I reveal the rest of the battle, not everyone knows about this little quirk involving Generation 1. Having used Double Team six times to raise my Evasion, I've also applied my badge boost six times to my Attack Defense and Speed. That yields a 102% increase in those respective stats. In other words, I've effectively doubled my Attack, Defense and Speed while boosting my Evasion thanks to subpar coding.

Code used X-Accuracy(Pikachu's Accuracy is +/- 0)
Pikachu used QuIck Attack(Critical Hit! Abra fainted!)

Sabrina sends out...
kadabra.gif

Kadabra Level 50

Pikachu used Quick Attack(Dealing Major Damage)
Kadabra used Recover(recovered HP)
Pikachu used Quick Attack(Critical Hit! Kadabra fainted!)

Sabrina sends out her Ace...
alakazam.gif

Alakazam Level 50

Pikachu used Quick Attack(dealing moderate damage)
Alakazam used Reflect(Alakazam gained Armor)
Alakazam used Recover(recovered HP)
Alakazam used Psywave(Attack missed!)
Pikachu used Quick Attack(Alakzam fainted!)

Code claims the Marshbadge and prepares for the voyage to the Seafoam Islands and beyond... To be Continued!

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
This is my final update as I finished this run. Overall it was a bit of a challenge but I purposely grinded like mad knowing that NFE's would be at a speed disadvantage(save for Pikachu and Tentacool). Now to get into the gritty details. My last checkpoint was prior to entering the Sea Routes to Cinnabar Island and Bulbasaur was my go to pick to battle all the Water Types since my favorite Training ground is hostile to Grass Types. After battling everyone I could, including Trainers north of Cinnabar, I waded down into the Mansion's basement and acquired the Secret Key. I then battled all the Trainers in Cinnabar Gym and even did some grinding before challenging Blaine. I only had two competitive Pokemon for this battle and thankfully, Tentacool is not that bad of a Pokemon for a NFE.

Spr_Y_Blaine.png

Battle with Blaine

Blaine is much harder than his Red/Blue counterpart with his first Pokemon starting off at level 48(one level above his ace in Red/Blue) while his ace in Arcanine is level 54. This match wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be...

Blaine sends out....
ninetales.gif

Ninetales Level 48

Code sends out....
tentacool.gif

Tentacool Level 56

Ninetales used Quick Attack(dealing minor damage)
Tentacool used Surf(Super Effective and OHKO)

Blaine sends out...
rapidash.gif

Rapidash Level 50

Rapidash used Fire Spin(dealing minor damage and Tentacool can't move!)
Rapidash continues attack(dealing minor damage)
Rapidash used Growl(Tentacool's Attack -1)
Tentacool used Surf(Critical Hit! OHKO)

Blaine sends out the ace....
arcanine.gif

Arcanine Level 54

Arcanine used Reflect(Arcanine gains Armor)
Tentacool used Surf(Super Effective! Deals Superior damage)
Arcanine used Fire Blast(Attack missed!!!)
Tentacool used Surf(Super Effective! Arcanine fainted!)

I claim the Volcano badge and move on to Viridian City and Giovanni. Once there I battle all the trainers and then go back to Cycling Road to train. I trained up to level 62 knowing that I'll have to be higher to stand a chance in Elite Four. It's a bit overkill but NFE"s don't have the speed edge or the power that fully evolved Pokemon have. Anyways....

Spr_Y_Giovanni.png

Battle with Giovanni

Giovanni sends out...
dugtrio.gif

Dugtrio Level 50

Code sends out...
tentacool.gif

Tentacool Level 62

Dugtrio used Sand Attack(Tentacool Accuracy -1)
Tentacool used Surf(Super Effective OHKO)

Giovanni sends out...
persian.gif

Persian Level 53

I swapped to Sandshrew(same level) to counter that Cat's Double Team with Swift.

Perisan used Screech(Sandshrew Defense -2)
Sandshrew used Slash(Critical Hit, dealing Major Damage)
Persian used Double Team(Evasion +1)
Sandshrew used Slash(Attack Missed!)
Persian used Double Team(Evasion +2)
Sandshrew used Swift(Persian fainted!)

Giovanni sends out...
nidoqueen.gif

Nidoqueen Level 53

I swapped back to Tentacool due to having the best speed of my Super Effective counters. Fortunately, Nidoqueen, Nidoking and Rhydon aren't much faster than my NFE Water Type and my higher level actually gave me the speed edge in remaining bouts.

Tentacool used Surf(OHKO)

Giovanni sends out...
nidoking.gif

Nidoking Level 55

Giovanni sends out his ace...
rhydon.gif

Rhydon Level 55

With all 8 badges in hand, I battled my rival and grinded to level 70. At that point I waded through Victory Road and upon reaching the final Checkpoint, I had a few at level 72. Fortunately, the level difference was enough to give me the speed edge and enough power to take the Elite Four down. Instead of going into detail on each Elite Four bout, I'll simply summarize since the level difference really aided me. Lorelei was a cakewalk with Pikachu and Vulpix defeating her Ice Type Pokemon. Bruno fell to a combination of Bulbasaur and Drowzee while Drowzee solo'd Agatha thanks to Generation 1 Psychic exploit against Ghost Pokemon. Lance was also easy as Pikachu OHKO his Gyrados before swapping to Tentacool. I did have a close call against his Speed Demon in Aerodactyl but I survived a Critical Hit Wing Attack. I finished it off with Surf before dropping Dragonite with an Ice Beam.

Against the champion, I opened with Bulbasaur to drop his Sandslash. Against his Alakazam, I swapped to Drowzee wherein I survived a Psychic attack to put Alakazam to sleep with Hypnosis. Swapped to Sandshrew and used a Slash attack to take it down. Against Exeggutor, Vulpix roasted it with a Flamethrower before swapping to Pikachu for Cloyster. Against Ninetales, I swapped to Tentacool where I took a Quick Attack and dropped it with a Surf. Finally against Jolteon, swapped to Sandshrew where I OHKO'd with a Dig Attack.

Victory as they say....

Total Game Time: 55 hours 13 minutes.... lol... took way longer than I thought it would. Grinding apparently does that I suppose.

Final Team:

Pikachu Level 73
Bulbasaur Level 71
Tentacool Level 73
Sandshrew Level 71
Drowzee Level 71
Vulpix Level 70

Back