• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemorphs and Gijinkas

Avablitz

Guardian of the Ruins
Years
I've been considering a PMD story but with gijinka's instead of Pokemon. So I wanted to ask how everyone feels about Pokemorph's and Gijinka's and more specifically how to handle them.

Before anyone mentions it, these two concepts are not the same thing. Pokemorph is a human who has Pokemon features and Gijinka is a Pokemon that was redrawn to look human.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Fairness disclaimer I haven't gotten into these things in at least two years but, isn't gijinka basically moe cosplaying?

Hmmm... apparently not, at least not by definition. But at least that's the impression I got after I went to scan for examples for comparison. And, even after checking the definition like five times, nothing makes it functionally different than basically cute child characters wearing elaborate fandom costumes.

Which, for a PMD, is a if not the dealbreaker.

See, when I read a PMD, the P is a very important part of the story. It's got to be about Pokémon - creatures with wildly divergent morphologies and environmental constraints trying to fit together. How they manage to work together, how having four legs instead of two, or one (Lileep) or none (Voltorb) effects their lives and their cultures. How have tactics and jobs adapted to the fact that some people can naturally fly whereas others can not. How relevant smell is compared to how relevant sight is for our world.

Compared to that, Pokémon gijinkas are simply humans - pretty homogeneous creatures functionally speaking - only this time, they are in costume and likely have superpowers. OH WAIT!!! So if I wanted to read about that kind of concept I could just have turned to Justice League or The X-Men, because they are about humans, and hey at least they tend to have good plots. The only artistic difference, depending on the medium, would be the moe factor.

Pokémorphs might have a better chance, since, if going deep enough into the concept, they tend to keep more of the Pokémon morphology into them rather than basically making it a costume, but down the line it crashes hard into the same issue, only with a better safety net. The problem is, most Pokémorph stuff I've seen is basically "human has this one or two Pokémon appendages" and it's just left at that, with no consequences and no better integration, so I wouldn't really expect much if anything about this particular subgenre. No one ever really speaks of how having say a Charmeleon's leg affects some very important stuff such as one's stance and gait, nor the taxation it would have on musculature of the lower spine. it's just "cool! Fire!" and on to next chapter. Let alone talk of how an otherwise completely human body can maintain that fire.

Also, either for "humans in costumes" or for "humans with extra body parts", societal constructs would not really change much. The resulting setting in terms of eg.: architecture, would simply end up being "our world but with weirder chairs" rather than "a Pokémon world".

Bottom line: I don't know if it can work, maybe someone can make it work, somehow. But if I am looking for Pokémon stories about Poḱémon, being Pokémon, in a setting of Pokémon, which is basically PMD's selling factor, then "humans in costumes" or "humans with animal parts" is gonna be an instant red flag.

Last edited:

Avablitz

Guardian of the Ruins
Years
Thanks for the explanation! Though I do wish to see that there are subsets to Gijinka's. The ones which you are referring to and the other subset which are basically 'furries'. But I do see your point and I'll probably go with normal Pokemon anyway. It would would waaaay too difficult to pull of a Hoenedge who is one of the main characters as a Gijinka.

Back