• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
The Ultimate
Monotype Challenge

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Introduction
Welcome, one and all, to the Ultimate Monotype Challenge! The Monotype Challenge is among the main challenges that can be played in Pokemon, and is one that has probably been done for far longer than the existence of the term "Challenge" in Pokemon. Simply put, a Monotype Challenge is a play through of any give Pokemon game, where you use Pokemon who share one of their types with each other. This may seem simple, but when you get a Badge or two in, you start to realize that your team will be vulnerable to certain teams in the game if you don't play carefully.

Now here's where things get interesting. Some of you may opt to accept the Ultimate Monotype Challenge. This means that you will play though at least one game of any give region in the main Pokemon franchise. A long and arduous path awaits those who accept the Ultimate Monotype Challenge. But the greater the challenge, the greater the reward!

Now then, let's get started, shall we?​

Rules
1. All Pokemon on your team must share at least one type with each other. Your team must comprise of at least 2 Pokemon. Each Pokemon should theoretically be within 10 levels of each other by the end. Also, if all your Pokemon share 2 types, it will still only be counted as the type you sign up for. No stacking type completion.

2. Until you find a Pokemon of your chosen type, you must only use your starter.

3. Pokemon who evolve into a Pokemon of your chosen type are allowed, as long as you evolve them at your earliest convenience. However, Pokemon of your type who evolve into a different type altogether are not allowed to perform the evolution in question. Mega Evolution is banned.

4. A Pokemon of your type should be caught before challenging the 3rd gym. If a Pokemon of your type cannot be found before the 3rd gym, you may trade/hack in a single low level Pokemon or egg that belongs to your region's Pokedex, as long as it is not RNG abused or bred for Egg moves/Hidden Abilities. Otherwise, do not hack any Pokemon in. For a list games you can hack/trade in, see below. Event obtained Pokemon are also banned, even if obtained with a game you are running your challenge on.

5. HM slaves are allowed. If they do not match your type, you may not use them in battle, unless absolutely necessary for double/triple/rotation battles when you don't have enough Pokemon in your team.

6. No Legendary Pokemon, even if they match your chosen type.

7. Hacked ROMs are acceptable for this challenge. However, total hacks (Brown Version, Light Platinum, etc) are only acceptable for Single Challenges. Hacks that feature existing regions, whether they are remakes or complete Pokedex hacks (Blaze Black, Skeetendo's Christmas Hack, LiquidCrystal, etc), are acceptable for the Ultimate Challenge, as long as it corresponds to a region you have not completed.

8. You may use hacks or cheats for the purpose of evolving a Pokemon if you are incapable of doing so otherwise. For example, using an evolution editor to make evolution of Kadabra into Alakazam possible without trading. This does not apply to Pokemon that evolve outside of your region's Pokedex. Like Seadra and Golbat in FireRed and LeafGreen. If the Pokemon requires an item with the trade, then you must obtain the item in game before evolving the Pokemon.

9. Your adventure ends when the Champion of the region has been defeated. This is defined differently for each game:
Spoiler:

10. You may trade in Pokemon of your type that is not available in your game as long as it is part of your regional Pokedex. It must also be no higher in level than your weakest Pokemon in your team, or be an egg (the prefered option). This allows you to play with Pokemon that would normally be exclusive to the opposite game. Like Stunky and Glameow in Diamond and Pearl respectively.

11. You may use external sources such as the Pokewalker, Dream World, and Dream Radar to obtain Pokemon for your challenge, as long as it is connected to that challenge's Trainer ID. Pokemon Bank is not included in this rule and may not be used to obtain Pokemon unless by rule 4.

12. Pokemon Amie is banned due to the extremely game breaking buffs it provides. This rule may be circumvented for the purpose of raising a Sylveon. Exp Share in X and Y is also banned, as it provides a lot of extra experience for each battle, essentially tripling (and then some) your total experience gain with a full team.

13. Dark Monotype is exempt from Kanto, and Steel is optional if anyone wants to play FRLG with just the Magnemite family. Fairy is excluded from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova. As such, Fairy cannot have an Ultimate Challenge until such time that we get more games with Fairy type in them.

Ultimate Challenge
In order to qualify as an Ultimate Champion, you must complete the challenge in one game of each region using the same type. Here is a list of games by region.
1. Kanto :
Spoiler:

2. Johto:
Spoiler:

3. Hoenn:
Spoiler:

4. Sinnoh:
Spoiler:

5. Unova:
Spoiler:

6. Kalos:
Spoiler:

These games do not need to be played in chronological order.

Sign-up Form
In order to participate, you must fill out this form:

Username:
Type:
Challenge: (Single or Ultimate)
Game(s):

Example:
Spoiler:

First Encounters
This is a comprehensive list of first Pokemon available for each type in every main game. If I missed something earlier in the games than this, feel free to message me.
Spoiler:

* Pokemon that require outside means are not required. If you don't have access to a Pokewalker, Dream World, or Dream Radar, you may hack or trade in these games.​

Single Challengers
These participants are challenging a single game. Please don't post asking me to add you to the list. I update weekly so I will get to you when I can.
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers
These participants are challenging the entire Pokemon History. Please don't post asking me to add you to the list. I update weekly so I will get to you when I can. Good luck...

you're gonna need it...
Spoiler:

[a id]champions[/a id]Single Champions
These individuals have conquered a region. Please don't post asking me to add you to the list. I update weekly so I will get to you when I can.​
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions
These individuals have conquered every region with the same type. Please don't post asking me to add you to the list. I update weekly so I will get to you when I can.

Gen V Champs
These players completed the challenge under the standards of the fifth generation of Pokemon
Spoiler:

Gen VI Champs
These players completed the challenge under the sixth gen standard
Spoiler:

Userbars
Here's some userbars I made. The old ones were outdated and some of them didn't match.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
EDIT: Completed the Hoenn section of my Fire UMC.

It's nice to see someone try to make the thread more organized. :)

Previous Progress Form
Username: 8bitSilence
Challenge: Fire
Completed: I, II, III

All the progress I've made in this challenge is in the past 2 pages of the old thread.

Final Hoenn Update
Spoiler:

I'm really loving this challenge. :)
Moving on to Sinnoh.
Wish me luck!
~8bit

Last edited:

SmashMaster24

Eevee Lover and Dark Master
Years
Seriously, why the hell was the other thread locked?

Username: SmashMaster24
Challenge 1: Dark
Completed 1: I, II, III, IV, V
Challenge 2 : Ghost
Completed 2: I, II, III

For Dark I did Kanto on LeafGreen and hacked in Dark-type pokemon which was allowed on the OTHER THREAD

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Well, I'm glad to see a new thread, as the old one wasn't getting updated.

I've done Psychic, Poison, Rock, Fire, and Water through Sinnoh, and I've also done Flying, Normal, Fighting, Ground, Grass, Electric, Ice, Bug, Dark, Dragon, Steel, and Ghost through Unova.

By the way, you should make sure you mention a few things:
1) Dark and Steel are not in Gen I, so they don't need to be included in a Ultimate challenge (i.e. you start with a Johto game). Single game ones are fine of course.
2) You should probably indicate a minumum team number of 2, unless there are no other pokemon available.
3) When hacking in a beginning Pokemon, only ones that are found in the wild before the end of the challenge should be allowed (i.e. no hacking in a Smoochum in Sinnoh, as it's not found in the wild until after the E4).

Just my two cents.

Also, there were some great userbars in the old thread, maybe you should bring those over here too :).

And finally, you might want to talk to Myrrhman about possibly transferring some records over here from the old thread, as I know he compiled some kind of updated Champions list.

Illuminaughty

The Graceful Idiot
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
Hey everyone! I made updates.

Jdthebud, I am sure there are other rules I forgot too! There are just so many hypothetical situations that need some type of guideline, but thanks for helping me with quite a few of them ;)

Smashmaster, the old thread hadn't been updated in over a year, no further explanation is needed.

8bit, glad to see you are enjoying yourself :)

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Username: Ninjagon
Single or Ultimate: Single
Game(s): Pearl
Monotype: Psychic
Team: Slowbro, Chimecho ,Medicham, Starmie, Bronzong and Alakazam

I signed up in the other thread and i will update my challenge more this week.

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

phonastik

Strange Quark
Years
I guess it's understandable to lock the old thread so I'll re-sign up here for my single-game Bug-type challenge on Ruby. Feeling a bit wussy but I'm so sick of Kanto games that I can't be bothered to do an Ultimate.

Spoiler:

My current team is:
Lacero/Pinsir level 27
Hamlet/Volbeat level 29
Claude/Anorith level 28
Luna/Dustox level 29
Helio/Beautifly level 28
Mothra/Masquerain level 32

Last edited:

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Fire UMC

Sinnoh Update #1

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Update #2​

- Beat Gardenia after Wizard reached Lv. 25
- Beat Jupiter
- Got egg
- Boxed it
- Grinded Wizard up to Lv. 34
- Traded him to SS
- Wizard evolved into Alakazam
- Traded him back
- Grinded some more
- Went to Hearthome
- Left Hearthome and reached Veilstone, Wizard is now Lv. 38
- Beat everything in gym (OHKO's)
- Went to Pastoria
- Beat Rival
- Saved

imgres

Wizard the Docile Alakazam

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
might aswell give this a shot
Username: Vsjester13
Game(s): White
Monotype: Water
Team: Samurott, Simipour, Seismitoad, Carracosta, Swanna and Jellicent.

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Sinnoh Update 2

Sinnoh Update 2
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Hi Everybody,

Username: bizebest
Single or Ultimate: Ultimate
Game(s): LG-> D -> ? -> ? -> ?
Team: Vaporeon, Poliwrath, Gyarados, Slowbro, Starmie (Pidgey HM slave)

Basically I was to lazy to update the end of my Kanto water type monotype run.
I only had to finish the Elite 4.
here's the finishing pic
563881_10150693843619435_1423136837_n.jpg

Does this count? :D

Last edited:

Illuminaughty

The Graceful Idiot
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
Update Grass Monotype Pokemon Blue

Objectives Completed:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Hi Everybody,

Username: bizebest
Single or Ultimate: Ultimate
Game(s): LG-> D -> ? -> ? -> ?

Basically I was to lazy to update the end of my Kanto water type monotype run.
I only had to finish the Elite 4.
Does this count? :D

It's fine, just make sure that the next game you play is either Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold, or Soul Silver rather than Diamond ;)

Last edited:

Gliese

I Drink Nozz-A-La
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013

Username: Gliese
Game(s): Emerald
Monotype: Psychic
Team: (Are we required to predetermine our teams, or do we update as we go along?)

Years
It's fine, just make sure that the next game you play is either Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold, or Soul Silver rather than Diamond ;)
Username: Bizebest
Challengec: Water
Completed : I
Kanto (completed)

OK
So today, I just started Crystal.
Progress so far:
Spoiler:

Current Team
Croconaw Lv18 / Wooper Lv13 / Tentacool Lv10 / Poliwag Lv4 (not sure I'll train it...)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Rejoining :)

I am rejoining my UMC in Fighting.

Previous Progress form:

Challenge 1: Fighting
Completed 1: I, II, III, IV

Still working on Unova.

EDIT: Hey jdthebud! Glad to see you're still around. It's ok if I recommend your next Unova challenge, right? I recommend you do Water. :) my favorite type.

Last edited:
Years
Alright, well, I've done a considerable amount since my update on the old thread, so I'm going to give a REALLY rough update before I start posting regularly.

Challenge: Ultimate Monotype.
Version: FireRed.
Type: Normal.
  • Pewter Gym, defeated.
  • Cerulean Gym, defeated.
  • Vermillion Gym, defeated.
  • S.S. Anne, done.
  • Celadon Rocket Hideout, defeated.
  • Celadon Gym, defeated.
  • Lavender Tower, done.
  • Saffron Silph. Co., done.
  • Saffron Gym, defeated.
Phew. Current team::

Tempest: male persian, lv. 41.
Monsoon: male pidgeot, lv. 41.
Twister: female raticate, lv. 39.
Quake: female fearow, lv. 29.
Flood: female jigglypuff, lv. 28.
Ch'ding: male farfetch'd, lv. 25.

Boxed team includes Avalanche, a male rattata, Gamma, a female pidgey, and my original starter, Squirtle, who hasn't been used since Monsoon was caught.

By the way, how is everyone getting those sprites in their posts? I wanted to use some in my team description, but didn't know how.

8bitSilence

"I HAVE FURY!"
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
By the way, how is everyone getting those sprites in their posts? I wanted to use some in my team description, but didn't know how.

With at least 15 posts.

I also think you can simply copy and paste sprites if you're using IE. I might be wrong, though.
I get the sprites from Bulbapedia.

Anyways, I'm still working on my Fire UMC in Sinnoh. Will update later. Still in Fantina's gym lol. I haven't made much progress.

-Monferno
-Ponyta

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2023
Username: XxHarryxX
Challenge 1: Ground
Completed 1: I, II, III (Yellow, Soul Silver, Emerald)

Emerald is now complete! Here's how the rest of that challenge went down:

- Ventured around the sea routes and accessed all of the areas that I had passed before with Surf. Along the way, Trapinch evolved into Vibrava, and Baltoy into Claydol.
- Went up to Fortree City, beating Team Aqua at the Weather Institute and then May along the way.
- Beat Winona - Swampert's Ice Beam and Camerupt's Rock Slide worked wonders.
- Powered on, hitting up Mt. Pyre, the Magma Hideout, and the Aqua Hideout along the way.
- Surfed across the ocean to Mossdeep City. Defeated Tate & Liza with my Flygon's (now evolved) Crunch and some sweet Surfin' from Swampert.
- Beat the Magmas at the Space Center, and progressed to the Seafloor Cavern and beat the Aquas.
- Did the whole Kyogre/Groudon fighting thing, and Rayquaza to the rescue.
- Battled Juan. I figured it would be a preview of Wallace for the Elite Four... but my Pokemon were about 10 levels up, so it wasn't tough at all. Some well-placed Earthquakes and other powerful moves did the job.
- Wandered around Hoenn, beating all sorts of trainers in rematches and getting my team prepared for the Elite Four.
- Went through Victory Road; then grinded everyone up to Level 57.

Time for the Elite Four! Here's how things went down:

Sidney: Piece of cake. Flygon was quite useful, as Dragonbreath and Flamethrower worked wonders. Camerupt even threw in an Earthquake on Crawdaunt to help out.
Phoebe: Pretty easy too. Flygon's Crunch was useful, and Swampert and Camerupt came in with Surf and Earthquake to help out.
Glacia: A bit more challenging, due to the water-typed Sealeo and Walrein. Camerupt took down the first Sealeo (got lucky with a flinching Rock Slide), and then Swampert used Bide to take down Walrein. From there, things were smooth sailing - Camerupt took care of both Glalies, and Swampert finished off the last Sealeo.
Drake: He was surprisingly easy. Claydol threw up a Light Screen, and took out Shelgon with an Ice Beam. Then, Flygon took down Kingdra with Dragonbreath, and Claydol's Ice Beam laid rest to Flygon and Salamence. Just for fun, Camerupt came in against Altaria and Rock Slided away.
Wallace: This one was... a ridiculously hard battle, and took several tries. Here's how it eventually went down:

- Claydol threw up Light Screen against Wailord. This attack was critical to my success in the game. Claydol won out with Psychics, and coaxed a Full Restore out of Wallace at one point.
- Tentacruel was next, and it went down to a Swampert Earthquake.
- Ludicolo. I HATE THIS THING with a passion. Double Team... yeah... So, Claydol went out first and restored the Light Screen, and then I stalled for a while to get Claydol to faint after I threw up yet another Screen. Then, Flygon came in here, and used a Dragonbreath to paralyze Ludicolo, and then Strength'ed away for the victory. Definitely got lucky here...
- Milotic was next, and this one required some creativity too. With some clever Reviving and Light Screening, Swampert eventually took down Milotic with Bide.
- Here came Whiscash. Camerupt tried to Amnesia up and beat it, but Earthquake got the better of it. Flygon came in and worked it down to just over 1/4 health with Dragonbreath, and then a critical hit with Strength finished it off.
- Gyarados was last, and he was easier than expected. Flygon got a nice CH with Dragonbreath, and Gyarados was stupid with trying to use Earthquake. Hyper Beam finished Flygon off, so it was all up to Swampert. Ice Beam finished Gyarados off, and I became the champ!

So, Emerald is done! On to Platinum!!

Couple of things I learned that I'd like to share:
- Never underestimate Light Screen/Reflect. They're great moves to have in your back pocket, especially when you can get a mildly fast Pokemon out to throw them up.
- Bide is useful too, especially when combined with a screening move.
- 4x weaknesses suck, especially in a champion battle...

EDIT: Should probably include my final team!

Claydol Lv 58 - Light Screen/Reflect/Ice Beam/Psychic
Camerupt Lv 58 - Amnesia/Rock Slide/Flamethrower/Earthquake
Swampert Lv 58 - Bide/Ice Beam/Surf/Earthquake
Flygon Lv 59 - Dragonbreath/Crunch/Strength/Flamethrower

Also, one more lesson: In a monotype challenge, STAB isn't always critical - I've had several ground-types without ground-type moves, and they've done just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back