• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
Years
With the small amount of information CoroCoro has given us in January and February and with nothing in last month's issue, I can't really blame you for forgetting about it. Not to mention, since the recent news of Newtwo being announced from Pokémon Smash, I think people's expectations of what to expect this month are much lower.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
And even if we don't get anything this time around we still have the Trailer for the movie which promises to show Newmew on the 18th. So we should know something new around next week.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Wouldn't it not be an opinion if it was proven wrong by the official info of Spiritomb?
No, being proven wrong by official info makes it an opinion if its still believed.

61YaVyJmO6L.jpg

Leaks have started.

Its about Mewthree again and said to contain a mini comic based on the movie.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I doubt it, they'll probably hold back for the trailer. I dont really expect anything of interest this month in CoroCoro, they'll probably just repeat what was revealed on Smash.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Corocoro has been leaked!
Not much information has been revealed, but the movie poster with Newtwo replacing Mewtwo is indeed real and is shown in the magazine. There's going to be a trailer on April 18th featuring Newtwo, so maybe some clearer information?
Also not to forget, Corocoro states this is a new Mewtwo Forme, and the movie title; 'Extremespeed Genesect and the Awakening of Mewtwo' represents that forme as it is the awakening of Mewtwo.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
With that in mind, Smash is tomorrow. Could we be seeing a preview to a preview of something next week??

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Incredibly annoyed that this wasn't a separate Pokemon. Like, why does Mewtwo need to be changed? This is my first time actually being disappointed with something new in Pokemon. I was perfectly happy with the idea of it being a different Mew clone. I'll get over it, but I still wish it was it's own entity.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Yeah, I'm also kind of disappointed in Mewthree being a Newtwo. It's getting rather tiring to have all these new forms for old Pokemon, some of which don't even need to be updated. I would have found Newtwo more appealing if it was a whole new clone, instead of just a weird change to a previous one. Hoping the trailer will start to swing my mind around to at least kind of liking this thing. It looks better than the original Mewtwo, I find.

Wondering how that would work, though. What would cause Mewtwo to change forms?

Guy

just a guy
Years
I've said this before and I'll say it again here: Why does Mewtwo even need a form? Newtwo was fine when it was speculated to be some distant cousin or something like that (which was actually really cool and would've preferred that), but a new form altogether is really going to put people off.

I really hope future news isn't going to travel down this road. I feel that (especially going by the recent replies in this thread) that something new would finally be a breather instead of having the same dog in a new winter coat, so to speak.
My guess is that since X/Y are supposedly going to revolve around a theme of genetics, GameFreak decided to jump on the opportunity of bringing back relevance to Mewtwo again while commercializing the return of an old fan favorite to possibly attract and persuade older fans to buy the games. Mewtwo never needed a new form, but GameFreak wanted it to.

I agree on your later statement though. Excluding the version mascots and starters, everything we've been given since have been connected to older generations, specifically the First Gen. I'm hoping the next set of new Pokèmon we get in the months to come are more X/Y native rather than ones connected to generations past.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
My guess is that since X/Y are supposedly going to revolve around a theme of genetics, GameFreak decided to jump on the opportunity of bringing back relevance to Mewtwo again while commercializing the return of an old fan favorite to possibly attract and persuade older fans to buy the games. Mewtwo never needed a new form, but GameFreak wanted it to.
This is exactly the reason. When I translated the movie title in Google Translate, while it's not perfect, even it gave the word "awakening" to me, and I immediately knew that this was a new Forme of Mewtwo. So I've been thinking about it ever since.

And what do I think? I think it's cool. I don't see a problem with Mewtwo getting a new Forme; after all, if we can have Tangrowth and Porygon-Z after three generations, and new Eeveelutions after five, why not continue the unfinished story of a Legendary? They are going back to their first movie and making a sequel, if you will. Sequels, of course, often don't do as well, but this is Pokémon and the most popular (I think) Pokémon in the history of the game.

Even those who don't like the idea are going to be intrigued and go see the movie in Japan. And only then can people actually say what they really think.

Cyclone

Years
Yeah, thus far everything new is focused on gen 1... I'll like some more focus on generations 2-6 related mons. And a 6 gen especially as it won't result in a 'they changed it, now it sucks' response from half of the vocal minority of the fan base...well not to the extent of changing gen 1's Pokémon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Generation 5 should get a lot of attention soon imo. I mean we're still part way through B2W2, so at least they could give us a few Pokemon related to gen 5 mons. :x

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Generation 5 should get a lot of attention soon imo. I mean we're still part way through B2W2, so at least they could give us a few Pokemon related to gen 5 mons. :x

I think GF is still trying to win back the older fans by focusing more on the Gen 1 Pokemon, hence the creation of Mewtwo's new forme, after Gen V caused a lot of controversy within the fanbase, from the changes I've listed from my old thread regarding Gen V. It just shows that past consumers share an important to keep Pokemon alive, or else Pokemon is finished even with a new generation of children.

Years
As I said before in the evolution thread I'm hoping it focuses on gen 3, 4, and 5. Gen 3 has lots of single member families they can add to a la Roselia. And Gen IV didn't get any cross generational evolutions due to Gen V's no relation to old mon's rule. And Gen V due to what Forever just said. I don't want Johto to get ignored though :x

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think GF is still trying to win back the older fans by focusing more on the Gen 1 Pokemon, hence the creation of Mewtwo's new forme, after Gen V caused a lot of controversy within the fanbase, from the changes I've listed from my old thread regarding Gen V. It just shows that past consumers share an important to keep Pokemon alive, or else Pokemon is finished even with a new generation of children.
I really dont think that's the reason. I think they simply want to use this to add on to Mewtwo's story so they made a new forme for it. Pokemon is far from finished. We dont even know how many Gen 1 evolutions there may end up being. The Gen 5 games were fine.

I personally am seeing a mix of evos from previous generations but how many I dont know. I really want more to see new evolutionary families, that's what I care much more about.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
This seems pretty plausible~! Though honestly, I hope they focus more on Gen III Pokemon than anything else this time around. Hoenn just seems to have been largely ignored these past two generations (except when Gardevoir got a split-evo Gen IV as well as a few other Pokemon, but that's hardly anything, I think), so I'd like for GF to revisit more Hoenn pokes and base more Pokemon on that kind of style, if anything.

Mewtwo had a story to it? oO; Forgive me, since I've actually never played RBY, but from what I keep hearing, it seems that Mewtwo played a fairly minor role in the grand scheme of things, not really having much of a story at all.
In the games, it was found in a cave. There wasn't a huge storyline. You also couldn't explore the cave until after the E4, as a bonus for being the Champion.

In the first movie, he created an island battlefield and such to clone Pokémon for his new society.

Cyclone

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
Years
Mewtwo had a story to it? oO; Forgive me, since I've actually never played RBY, but from what I keep hearing, it seems that Mewtwo played a fairly minor role in the grand scheme of things, not really having much of a story at all.

Well, it had a back story, but, it's back story was only hinted upon some stray books in the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar Island.

But again, these were only vague, as in, there were such diary entries like..

"Mew gave birth.
We named the newborn Mewtwo."

and,

"Mewtwo is far too powerful.
We have failed to curb its vicious tendencies…"

Things like that.

Years
This seems pretty plausible~! Though honestly, I hope they focus more on Gen III Pokemon than anything else this time around. Hoenn just seems to have been largely ignored these past two generations (except when Gardevoir got a split-evo Gen IV as well as a few other Pokemon, but that's hardly anything, I think), so I'd like for GF to revisit more Hoenn pokes and base more Pokemon on that kind of style, if anything.

I felt like Gen 5 forgot Johto and Hoenn for the most part as most the references were of Kanto and Sinnoh...Team Rocket and Galactic being mentioned, and Cynthia appearing. Though Team Rocket was also Johto's villains...so for the most part Hoenn's were ignored...the first teams to ever succeed (sort of) don't even get mentioned. Not counting PWT of course, as Hoenn was mentioned too. And Legends wise Kanto and Johto were ignored...except for the Celebi and Beast trio events that activated something in BW... and Mewtwo having a new move.

Maybe Johto and Kanto's legends will get more screen time to make up for their absence in B2W2 (No gen 1-2 legend was catchable in gen 5!)...

I always saw Mewtwo as not a test tube clone like in the anime, but more of a life birth clone like real life clones such as Dolly the Sheep. So it having a new forme may be what it's was originally suppose to look? But became mutated after the attempts to control it, aka they locked up part of it's powers...if so than the Mewtwo we know really isn't it's true self...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back