• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Well, I think I was told to go here! Please tell me if I'm wrong

When B/W2 will be released, I will be going to the nearest card shop and buying a booster pack of Pokemon cards. I will then have to use those specific monster cards through the whole game. I've come up with SOME rules for this type of game
1) If you find a pokemon (For example a Krokorok) You can catch the prevolution to evolve it. However, you would not be allowed to evolve Krokorok to Krookodile
2) You are allowed to use your starter up until you catch your first Pokemon. After you get your first pokemon you are not allowed to use your starter (Unless you get your starter in your booster pack)
3) If you get a Pokemon which is uncatchable in the game, you are allowed to get it by trading an egg or a Pokemon less than level 10.

Now, I need some help from you guys. I'd like to find a rule for legendaries, since getting one would pretty much make you get one less pokemon, and I'd also like to think of rules for Energies and Trainer cards, or would getting an Energy/Trainer leave you down a pokemon?
Also, I'd like to christen this with an appropriate name. Please give me feedback! And thank you!

I would love to do this with the original Red/Blue and maybe Gold/Silver, since I just found my ancient pretty much complete set of cards rom then. So, like Sydian mentioned, could we do this by randomly drawing 6 (or whatever number we like greater than 3) cards from a shuffled set.

To be honest, it sounds very much like the random pokemon challenge (which uses a generator), except the part where you use your own decks of cards. For sheer nostalgia's sake I'd love to do something like this.

11wildy

Me!
Years
If you find a shiny in a monotype run, would you guys use it or not? Just asking, since I would definitely use it, even if it wasn't my type.

IWearHatsIndoors

They're comfy and easy to wear
Years
For legendaries, I mean, it's a big reward to find one in a booster pack, so I think they should be allowed. :o As for Energies and Trainers, I can't really think of anything. There are so many Trainer cards that if you tried to do something that corresponds to that card, it'd take you forever and a day to list them all. I guess you'd just be down a Pokemon? ;( Or, in the case of Energies, consider it a "wild card" and you get to pick a Pokemon of that type. But the Trainer cards are just so varied, it's hard to come up with a standard for them.

Also, for people that don't want to buy booster packs or just can't, but have cards, perhaps shuffle a bunch of them together and draw 6? Cause I find this challenge really interesting and cool, but I don't feel like buying booster packs just for the sake of it. But then you have to take in to account how people will put in legendaries and such to shuffle in and that could be a problem. ;( I probably wouldn't...I have a ton of decks I used to battle with and could easily use those, or get my sister to select about 30 cards from my book, shuffle them, and have me draw from it.

Also, I think it'd be cool if you require certain moves. Like some cards actually have a real attack on the card for the Pokemon to use, and if you have one like that, you have to use that move/those moves? Or make it totally optional. Haha, sorry I'm like...giving you so much lol. I just really love this idea for a challenge and wish I had thought of it myself. ;P

Edit: random names for the challenge blahhh

Booster Pack Challenge
Random TCG Challenge

Well, I'm thinking that Booster Pack Challenge seems pretty cool (And It makes me feel stupid that I couldn't think of that >.>). So I'll just refer to it as that now!

I'm thinking with the energy cards, you are allowed to get one basic Pokemon from that type, but you can't evolve it. The reason I quite like this idea is that most challenges limit you to 6 Pokemon, whereas with this you can get up to 11 (I think so anyway). So you can have a CHOICE!

Well, I think that if you didn't want to buy cards (and just wanted to be BORING) you could just pick some cards at random.
The problem with the move sort of thing, is that there are some moves in TCG which arent on the game, so I think that if you can get a move as cllose as possible to the one on the card then that is how you should do it!
YAY! IT LOOKS BETTER NOW!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If you find a shiny in a monotype run, would you guys use it or not? Just asking, since I would definitely use it, even if it wasn't my type.

If it were my type I would. If not, I would catch it and save it to be trained later. :)

Well, I think that if you didn't want to buy cards (and just wanted to be BORING) you could just pick some cards at random.
The problem with the move sort of thing, is that there are some moves in TCG which arent on the game, so I think that if you can get a move as cllose as possible to the one on the card then that is how you should do it!

Well I meant like, if on the off chance you do pull a card where the Pokemon knows a move in the actual game, you could use that. So if you pull an Emboar with Flamethrower, you have to use Flamethrower. But if you pull Petilil with Ram, that's not a real move so you obviously would be exempted from having to use the attack on the card. Does that make more sense? Haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

If it were my type I would. If not, I would catch it and save it to be trained later. :)

Well I meant like, if on the off chance you do pull a card where the Pokemon knows a move in the actual game, you could use that. So if you pull an Emboar with Flamethrower, you have to use Flamethrower. But if you pull Petilil with Ram, that's not a real move so you obviously would be exempted from having to use the attack on the card. Does that make more sense? Haha.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020

Id say you can catch it, but not use it in that case. I would imediately trade it over to my storage games and train it there

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I really like the idea of the booster pack challenge. It seems really fun; like a cross between the TCG Challenge and the Random Pokemon Challenge. Also, it seems like it would make a really good challenge and it seems like we haven't had many good challenge ideas lately.

Also, about the shiny in the monotype: I wouldn't use it. I would either save it for later or, if you find it early enough in-game (like before the first gym), I would just change types so it could be a member of the team.

11wildy

Me!
Years
Well, then I better hope for a Poisoon type shiny in Crystal. Too bad I won't be able to migrate it to later games then. ALso, it's on emulator >.< Well, I'm getting this strange feeling I will get a shiny anytime soon :o

11wildy

Me!
Years
Well, emulators do play a lot faster, mainly useful for grinding. It's hell to grind up a SPINARAK WITHOUT SPEED BOOSTING EMULATORS!

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
I just read that B2W2 has achievements for beating the E4 monotype or solo :D One for each type and and one for getting them all

11wildy

Me!
Years
I could use some help here:

I am battling Steven's Metagross on Pokemon Ruby. It's the last Pokemon away from beating my monopoison challenge.

My team:
Level 49 Roselia@Miracle seed
Leech seed
Toxic
Magical leaf
Growth

Level 52 Dustox@Lax Incense
Silver wind
Toxic
Giga drain
Double team

Level 51 Swalot
Sludge bomb
Shock wave
Shadow ball
Ice beam

And 3 HM slaves. Who are currently dead anyway.

Notable items:
19x Revive
3x Max Ether
37x Full Heal
26x Full Restore
1x Max Revive
6x Leppa berry

The Metagross has gotten an attack boost from Meteor mash and kills every of my Pokemon in 1 hit. The only way out from that is a Meteor Mash miss or Lax Incense hax. But I'm afraid I will run out of items before I can Leech seed him for some stalling. How can I even use Leech seed when it will Earthquake on my Roselia?

ANY HELP ON THIS? PLEASE?

Years
^I wish I could help, but I can't think of anything :/ All I've got is somehow using Double Team on Dustox to make MM more likely miss.

I've got this idea for a challenge, but I'm not sure how interesting it would be. You would have to have a team (minimum is three pokemon, not counting slaves) consisting of the same pokemon. Like, a team of nothing but Persians. The goal of it would be to raise all of them as differently as possible, giving you some sort of variety. So choosing a pokemon that can learn lots of different TKs.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Is this a Monotyped Nuzlocke? If not, just lose on purpose and just grind some more. If so, the best I can tell you is pray for the Lax Incence hax and go for another Double Team.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
ANY HELP ON THIS? PLEASE?

I don't know what move you would want to replace for it, if any, but maybe you could teach Swalot Earthquake for some x2 goodness? You get the TM in Seafloor Cavern. You could also get your hands on a Weezing and teach it Flamethrower, but you said you don't want to waste any more time. Weezing would come with the added bonus of Levitate so Metagross' Earthquake wouldn't hit. Pus he's super defensive bulky which would help against Meteor Mash and Hyper Beam.

11wildy

Me!
Years
Sadly, Swalot does not learn Earthquake. The original plan was to have Roselia Leech seed him, then stall. Did not work though xd It will when I grinded more. Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back