• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] New Idea

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 15, 2018
I'm new here so I'm still kinda learning how things work, but I've had an idea and I'm curious what the pokemon community would think of it. If it's taken well I'll actually start working on it and hopefully recruit some people to help :) So please all criticism is appreciated!

This is only the basic outline of the idea so far(I'm not good with the formatting so forgive me please)

Basic Idea
-If you have played Swords and Sandals, the idea is very similar
-Planning for this to be fairly difficult
-Entire story is based around this arena
-Arena is for earning money and exp
-Arena has tiers with each Tier having a "leader"
-Beating a tier's leader advances you to the next tier which raises level cap & unlock more pokemon to catch
-Very battling intensive
-Players start with a limited amount of money and are given a single weak pokemon start(most likely not a starter)
-Gain money and exp from battling in the arena
-Eventually catch more pokemon and Challenge the Tier's leader
-Leader's are very difficult and have a set theme in what they battle with and how they battle
-There are many tiers(Haven't determined an actual number yet)
-All pokemon from all gens
-"Seasons" Where the tier leaders change(Maybe to the first people to beat that season or something)

Setting
- The game mainly takes place in a single large city where every service(move tutors, name rater, etc..) are
- Safari zone like areas surround the city each with a different habitat
- Pay to be taken out there and given balls. Much like the safari zone
- Each zone has different areas with different pokemon
- New zones and areas unlock with each tier

Starting pokemon - Rattata, Kricketot, Chinchou, Cacnea, Archen, Slugma
- Trying to keep to basic types(grass, water, flying, etc..)
- Trying to keep to lower tier pokemon that aren't usually used
- Trying to avoid to no evolution pokemon and 2 evolution pokemon
- Don't see these pokemon being used much longer after they evolve
- Not final. Still Deciding.

Forest Zone - (Bug, grass and maybe some flying types) Caterpie, Weedle, Paras, Ledyba, Wurmple, Burmy, Sewaddle, Scatterbug, Cutiefly, Hoppip, Sunkern, Cherubi, Cottonee, Morelull, Hoothoot, Chatot
-Maybe too many for the first zone. Might remove some

Cave Zone - (mainly ground and rock types) Zubat, Woobat, Minior(Not sure about this one yet), Geodude, Bonsly, Binacle(maybe again), Carbink, Roggenrola, Diglett, Sandshrew, Phanpy, Hippopotas, Stunfisk(maybe again)

Beach Zone - Shellder, Krabby, Wooper, Corsola, Corphish, Tirtouga, Clauncher, Sandygast(Probably be pretty rare)

Still editing first zones and adding at least one more starting zone

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 15, 2018
That actually might be a better idea tbh. Would eliminate the need to assign and balance the whole pricing thing. Make it more like safari zone habitats. And have like new zones unlock with each tier or new areas in the zones with more pokemon or something. I like that much better.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
so... pokemon stadium?

warning you that having all 807 pokemon is a tough one because all the assets for gen 7 are kinda meh and still in dev, despite gen 8 round the corner. If you have *all* 807 in one city? You're cramming the enitre game of pokemon in one city??? Some fangames try and cram all 807 in one region (which is already a tall task) but a *city*.

I guess for a battling game it doesn't really matter as much, but because you have so many pokemon, you're gonna have to get *really* creative so to not cram your encounters tables and overwhelm the player. I think GreenRemix gets over this by having a random pokemon GTS where you trade for a random pokemon, instead of with a random person.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
Sounds like a fun idea but sounds like a hell of a hassle to put in development, especially if you're limited so heavily to the basic types.

Back