• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Read time from Nintendo DS' clock?

Years
So, I don't know if this is the appropriate place to just ask something like this, or if there even is such a place on this forum, but an idea struck me and I was curious if it would be possible to do.

Is it possible for GBA ROM software to read from the internal clock of a Nintendo DS system?

The reason I ask is because I was thinking of ways to circumvent the issues caused by the finite lifespan of the internal batteries of the GBA Hoenn games, and it occurred to me that, if possible, it would be neat if the games could be set to read the system's clock rather than their own internal battery-powered one when played on Nintendo DS hardware.

I know the games can be set to read the clock of an emulator, but I'm not sure if the same thing would be possible with a Nintendo DS, since I don't know how segregated the software that runs GBA games is from the rest of the DS' operating system.

I realize this is really obscure and might not have even been experimented with yet, but hey, never hurts to ask, at least!

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
Years
No. GBA games cannot comprehend the DS system, nor are any DS system calls exposed to the GBA ROM. The DS only identifies itself to the cart as such and emulates a GBA otherwise perfectly.

No. GBA games cannot comprehend the DS system, nor are any DS system calls exposed to the GBA ROM. The DS only identifies itself to the cart as such and emulates a GBA otherwise perfectly.

The DS doesn't emulate a GBA. It runs the games on native hardware. The DS isn't powerful enough to emulate a GBA on its own stuff. Hell, even the first 3DS's couldn't do it.

Years
The DS doesn't emulate a GBA. It runs the games on native hardware. The DS isn't powerful enough to emulate a GBA on its own stuff. Hell, even the first 3DS's couldn't do it.

Ahhh, bummer!

I kinda figured something like this would be the case.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and answer my question!~

Back