• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 16, 2022
Thanks!

It seems the new tutor moves aren't working on my end either; guess I never actually tried to use them. Kaphotics mentions there's another array somewhere that also needs to be edited, so if I can find out how it's structured I can fix that with a hex editor. Worst case scenario I'll just replace another useless TM with Sucker Punch. Thanks for reporting this issue!

Thanks for the quick answer!

If you get around and get it to work would you please be able to tell me how to do it? I'm also making an USUM hack (for my own pleasure, although I'm starting to think I might just release it eventually...) and I had planned extensive changes to the tutor compatibilities, but I'm garbage at doing any programming stuff :confused:.

If not, I might just do like you say and remove useless TMs instead!

In the meantime, I'll simply enjoy your hack!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Thanks for the quick answer!

If you get around and get it to work would you please be able to tell me how to do it? I'm also making an USUM hack (for my own pleasure, although I'm starting to think I might just release it eventually...) and I had planned extensive changes to the tutor compatibilities, but I'm garbage at doing any programming stuff :confused:.

If not, I might just do like you say and remove useless TMs instead!

In the meantime, I'll simply enjoy your hack!

Definitely, if I get it working I'll make sure the information is available publicly somewhere and let you know. Chances are it'll be beyond my skill level though, I'm no SciresM.

Good luck with your hack!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
The shops have been causing a lot of issues with citra, so that's pretty normal. Did you use the one of the shop.cro file in the "citra files" folder? I was hoping those would work, but I'll be getting all of that sorted soon regardless.

Well been actually waiting for 'the guide' on how to do it for this hack. managed to find a person on Reddit who actually had this as a .cia (not sure currenlty not behind my computer) so I got a hold on that file, which works and runs the game smoothly. So just a shop thing currently which I have to figure out.

So I might wait a bit before continuing for the guide to set it up properly!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Well been actually waiting for 'the guide' on how to do it for this hack. managed to find a person on Reddit who actually had this as a .cia (not sure currenlty not behind my computer) so I got a hold on that file, which works and runs the game smoothly. So just a shop thing currently which I have to figure out.

So I might wait a bit before continuing for the guide to set it up properly!

Just a quick update on the guide; citra crashes immediately upon opening the ROM I've built (though it does work with the clean one I've dumped, so that's good at least). Unfortunately the entire unpack/copy files/rebuild process is time consuming and incredibly tedious, so I'm going to need to take a break from it for sanity reasons. I do intend to come back to it in the future - hopefully fairly soon - but I can't say when that will be just yet.

If you'd like to try it yourself in the meantime this guide seems to be the right process, though it's not very detailed.

Sorry to let you down.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
Just a quick update on the guide; citra crashes immediately upon opening the ROM I've built (though it does work with the clean one I've dumped, so that's good at least). Unfortunately the entire unpack/copy files/rebuild process is time consuming and incredibly tedious, so I'm going to need to take a break from it for sanity reasons. I do intend to come back to it in the future - hopefully fairly soon - but I can't say when that will be just yet.

If you'd like to try it yourself in the meantime this guide seems to be the right process, though it's not very detailed.

Sorry to let you down.

That's a real shame to hear. Hopefully you can get it to work, like I said the .cia / .cci file I have works, it's only the shop that causes the emulator to freeze, but this is without your shop.cro file as I have no idea how to use that and/or enable your shop.cro file to test stuff.

I might give your guide a go to see if it somehow works with me although I highly doubt it. Goodluck though. Really looking forward to continue my playthrough without a freezing shop :P.

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
That's a real shame to hear. Hopefully you can get it to work, like I said the .cia / .cci file I have works, it's only the shop that causes the emulator to freeze, but this is without your shop.cro file as I have no idea how to use that and/or enable your shop.cro file to test stuff.

Does your build show the buffed Pokemon Stats and new abilities? I gave it a shot which worked for the move and movepool changes, but isn't showing the buffed mons and abilities.

So, if this is working for you, can you upload your .3ds build on GDrive and give a link to it? PkHex can be used as a workaround for now to get the shop items..

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
Does your build show the buffed Pokemon Stats and new abilities? I gave it a shot which worked for the move and movepool changes, but isn't showing the buffed mons and abilities.

So, if this is working for you, can you upload your .3ds build on GDrive and give a link to it? PkHex can be used as a workaround for now to get the shop items..

I will check in a moment, gotta eat for a sec. Are there any early examples I can look for to see which are buffed / new abilities.

And PkHex, what do you mean with this and/or how :)?

EDIT:

Also not sure if this is what you mean, however my version has Buneary in the first starting zone as an available pokemon, as is Seedot and Inkay etc so the hack works with pokemon I assume, however if you can tell me for specific stats or abilities I can look for them :)!

And PkHex is a save editor I assume, and I assume yes I can 'cheat' in the items but I'm never sure what these shop sell in this romhack so :P.

Last edited:

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
Also not sure if this is what you mean, however my version has Buneary in the first starting zone as an available pokemon, as is Seedot and Inkay etc so the hack works with pokemon I assume, however if you can tell me for specific stats or abilities I can look for them :)!

And PkHex is a save editor I assume, and I assume yes I can 'cheat' in the items but I'm never sure what these shop sell in this romhack so :P.

You can see if your version has the buffed Pokemon changes by adding mons via PkHex (the quicker way), checking the docs and then seeing if the stats are same as the default Nintendo set base stats or are better. You can use the showdown damage calculator to modify the pokemon base stats and compare the difference..

Anyways, it would be great if you could still upload your 3ds build on GDrive.

Also, you can check what items a mart sold from the Documentation for this game (link is available in the main post on the first page).

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
So hmm not sure if I fixed it for myself or what. BUT I did follow the guide that Buffel Saft linked and I followed it a bit, wasn't difficult to follow just had to read carefully, and I got to the rebuilding part which in the end gave me some errors. Nothing major but errors.

The mega link that you shared is this new build of yours? If not, can you upload the one that you created which is working for shops?

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
Thanks for uploading and sharing the URL. BTW, I'm unable to access the folder. Can you please enable access for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
Thanks for uploading and sharing the URL. BTW, I'm unable to access the folder. Can you please enable access for it?

D'oh my bad. Forgot about that stuff, never really used it. Should be public right now if I'm correct.

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
It seems that this build is the original Ultra Sun. Pokemon stat/type/ability changes, move changes, trainer pokemons - all of them are as same as the USUM game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
It seems that this build is the original Ultra Sun. Pokemon stat/type/ability changes, move changes, trainer pokemons - all of them are as same as the USUM game.

Yeah figured it out aswell after some testing. Still weird. I did the exact guide that he sent and I got some errors.. Will have a few goes again at it though. Not giving up!

EDIT:

Well no luck so far, I get all the way to the end and then I get ERRORS, someone else has it posted on the GBATemp post aswell and there it was resolved with Python 2.7, but I have that and, no succes. I've asked the creator of the guide if he knows something perhaps but so far no luck. So here's to hoping that Buffel Salt has more succes than me, or anyone for that matter.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 2, 2023
I had a Prismatic Moon in similar conditions than yours, Blackbeared (sorry, I can't no quote you yet ':D). My question is about if does you have a Pokemon Ultra Sun ROM base updated at 1.2 version? I think this is the problem with shops.

I've installed the 1.2 update in Citra and also dang and dropped the Prismatic Moon luma content in my Pokemon Ultra Moon 1.0 ROM base.

I think maybe the solution is to convert that Luma content with the hackrom changes into a .cia file. This .cia file it gonna work like a DLC, this is my hypothesis. So, we should try to install first the 1.2 update in Citra and then a .CIA with the hackrom files. I've trying and I have no idea how to make a new .CIA patch.

P.D: When I made the drag and drop of the hackrom files into the 1.2 CIA actualization and then installed it on Citra, my ROM didn't load, pretty much similar to Bluffel Saft problem.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 2, 2023
OMG, I gonna test it right now!!
I've trying too many ways, always resulting in crashing. I regret having failed with the installation of Prismatic Moon. Maybe you can teach me how to install a .CIA directly to the ROM. I have the 1.0 Prismatic Moon and 1.2 .CIA actualization, and the method of only drag and drop only using Hacking Toolkit don't works. Thank you so much for the effort and share your
I soonly will report the results of my testing of your ROM.

EDIT:

I've tried with your Citra Nightly build. The ROM doesn't no load. But I see that your Photonic Sun ROM weighs 3.69 GB. My Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun ROMs can weigh 4.19 GB...

Last edited:

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
I tried booting it up in Citra and it just crashes and closes. As Raumi7 mentioned, the size difference between your build and the base US build is quite big.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
OMG, I gonna test it right now!!
I've trying too many ways, always resulting in crashing. I regret having failed with the installation of Prismatic Moon. Maybe you can teach me how to install a .CIA directly to the ROM. I have the 1.0 Prismatic Moon and 1.2 .CIA actualization, and the method of only drag and drop only using Hacking Toolkit don't works. Thank you so much for the effort and share your
I soonly will report the results of my testing of your ROM.

EDIT:

I've tried with your Citra Nightly build. The ROM doesn't no load. But I see that your Photonic Sun ROM weighs 3.69 GB. My Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun ROMs can weigh 4.19 GB...

I tried booting it up in Citra and it just crashes and closes. As Raumi7 mentioned, the size difference between your build and the base US build is quite big.

This is really weird as mine boots up perfectly, runs perfectly and shops seem to work. Perhaps rhe difference is that I have the Ultra Moon 1.1 & 1.2 updates installed IN the Cita emulator itself. Cause I do think it does require that. If you guys don't have these files I can put them on the google drive. With perhaps a small tutorial (Which only consists of File -> install Cia, or drag & drop).

One other detail is that I use the EUR version although I don't think that should cause the crash.

Please let me know so I can hulp further when I get back home :).

Last edited:

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
This is really weird as mine boots up perfectly, runs perfectly and shops seem to work. Perhaps rhe difference is that I have the Ultra Moon 1.1 & 1.2 updates installed IN the Cita emulator itself. Cause I do think it does require that. If you guys don't have these files I can put them on the google drive. With perhaps a small tutorial (Which only consists of File -> install Cia, or drag & drop).

One other detail is that I use the EUR version although I don't think that should cause the crash.

Please let me know so I can hulp further when I get back home :).

Yes please. Add a GDrive link to the update.

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
Should be available now. I'll also add a mini tutorial of the way I did it, still works for me so otherwise, no idea.

1. I fire up Citra-qt.exe and make sure that start correctly.
2. I make sure I have a base Ultra Sun (VANILLA) rom use-able in the Citra window.
3. Load up the Vanilla rom first to make sure the ROM works and starts up fine, I walk around, check the shops, battle a pokemon, to make sure everything works.
4. If it works I close it down and I install BOTH .cia files through File --> Install Cia, in the correct order. First 1.1 then 1.2.
5. Load up the Vanilla ROM again to make sure it doesn't crash. Otherwise the base ROM is at an error here. Again make sure I walk around, talk to the shop cleric, battle a pokemon, just to make sure that Citra doesn't crash on that.
6. If all works fine, I close it down and I'll Add New Game Directory where I will navigate to my ROMhack, in this case Photonic Sun.
7. I also check if the Icon on the .3ds file IN CITRA shows 1.2, as shown in this screenshot : https://gyazo.com/b0cd37d91ab73ba3b66be7fdaba20804 . On the Icon it shows 1.2
8. All of this checked and all alright? Then I fire it up and it should start, atleast it does for me.

These are also all the steps I took and somehow it works for me. Only other details are that I have windows 7 64 bit, Citra Nightly 1170. Nothing really that sticks out for anything different.

I pray that it'll also work for you guys.

Many thanks for the tutorial and files. I followed it step-by-step and I was able to boot your .3ds build.

Everything works except for the Pokemon (stat and ability) and mart changes; though I am able to talk to the clerk and buy items (which are the same from Vanilla US).

Did you use the files from the "extra file for citra" folder added by Buffel Saft a few days ago? Because I think it contains a fix for this issue of Shops and Pokemon stat changes not being reflected in the 3ds builds for Citra.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
Many thanks for the tutorial and files. I followed it step-by-step and I was able to boot your .3ds build.

Everything works except for the Pokemon (stat and ability) and mart changes; though I am able to talk to the clerk and buy items (which are the same from Vanilla US).

Did you use the files from the "extra file for citra" folder added by Buffel Saft a few days ago? Because I think it contains a fix for this issue of Shops and Pokemon stat changes not being reflected in the 3ds builds for Citra.

I used those when I was building the rom myself. It's also on the Google drive. that's the file I use which contains the shop.cro and all IN that rom. So that 'should' be the hack. Like I said I aint sure if all pokemon stats and ability's are different. I hope they are, but so far I've only seen different pokémon and trainers having more pokémon or higher.

EDIT:

However I did use the files from Buffel Saft to make this .3ds file.

Last edited:
Back