• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen V & VI Breeding Guide [Updated October 27, 2013]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
You can see the ability right after you hatch it you don't have to battle to see it. And if the female parent has the hidden ability it's approximately an 80% chance of the offspring having it. If the male has the hidden ability it's approximately a 20% chance of being passed on to the offspring.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 20, 2014
You can see the ability right after you hatch it you don't have to battle to see it. And if the female parent has the hidden ability it's approximately an 80% chance of the offspring having it. If the male has the hidden ability it's approximately a 20% chance of being passed on to the offspring.

So if I want a Lileep with Storm Drain, it will say "Storm Drain" as well as Suction Cups where it says ability? What exactly do I look for?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Yes, it'll have Storm Drain where the ability is in the status screen of the Pokemon if it has it.

Years
About breeding genderless Pokemon.
Can you pass down the Hidden Ability to a genderless Pokemon using a ditto, if that Pokemon has its Hidden Ability?

Also if two different species of the same egg group are bred, and the male has the hidden ability, can the offspring have its hidden ability also even though it is the same species as the female?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I'm not sure on your first question since I haven't done it myself yet. For your second question, Hidden Abilities from males will pass on although it's about a 20% chance as compared to a female that passes on its ability about 80% of the time, but only when bred with a female of same species I believe.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 20, 2014
Hi, another question......

if Hidden Abilities can pass from both the male and female parents, if the male is a different pokemon but has the ability that is the hidden ability of the mother, is there a chance the offspring will have the hidden ability of the father, even though it was a different pokemon?

For example if I have a male storm drain Gastrodon and a female Cradily, is there a chance the baby Cradily will have Storm Drain from its father?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 20, 2014
I have two questions (even though my previous one was never answered).....how can you breed Braviary when all Rufflets are male? And secondly.......if I have a hidden ability Rufflet (Hustle), will it get Defiant (Braviary's Hidden ability) when it evolves? If not, is there any way to tell if it will possess the hidden ability when it evolves?

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I have two questions (even though my previous one was never answered).....how can you breed Braviary when all Rufflets are male? And secondly.......if I have a hidden ability Rufflet (Hustle), will it get Defiant (Braviary's Hidden ability) when it evolves? If not, is there any way to tell if it will possess the hidden ability when it evolves?

You can breed Male only and Genderless Pokemon with Ditto.

Yes a Pokemon keeps their Hidden Ability upon evolution. Whatever the Ability is for the evolved will be what it will have.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 20, 2014
You can breed Male only and Genderless Pokemon with Ditto.

Yes a Pokemon keeps their Hidden Ability upon evolution. Whatever the Ability is for the evolved will be what it will have.

Thanks......along these lines, if I breed a male Braviary with Defiant with Ditto........are the chances of passing on the hidden ability as high as it is conventionally where the mother has the Hidden Ability?

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Hi, another question......

if Hidden Abilities can pass from both the male and female parents, if the male is a different pokemon but has the ability that is the hidden ability of the mother, is there a chance the offspring will have the hidden ability of the father, even though it was a different pokemon?

For example if I have a male storm drain Gastrodon and a female Cradily, is there a chance the baby Cradily will have Storm Drain from its father?

No it will not pass. Both Pokemon have to be the same species to pass a Hidden Ability from the Male when the female doesn't have it.

Thanks......along these lines, if I breed a male Braviary with Defiant with Ditto........are the chances of passing on the hidden ability as high as it is conventionally where the mother has the Hidden Ability?

Not as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the % chance to pass a Hidden Ability doesn't change regardless of whether it's same species or Ditto.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 20, 2014
No it will not pass. Both Pokemon have to be the same species to pass a Hidden Ability from the Male when the female doesn't have it.

Not as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the % chance to pass a Hidden Ability doesn't change regardless of whether it's same species or Ditto.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. So the % chance of Braviary passing on Defiant to its offspring is the same of any male passing on its Hidden Ability. Edit: I realize the "what % do males have of passing on HA" question was answered earlier in this thread - my bad.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
The chances are lower than when breeding with a female with the HA. The odds are about 80% for females 20% for males.

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2016
Hi guys

just doing iv breeding for the first time, just stuck on what to do next, ive been using dittos from friend safari to make it easier

here is the scenario

ditto 1 = defense and speed
ditto 2 = attack and speed
ditto 3 = hp and special attack
ditto 4 = special attack and speed
ditto 5 = special attack, special def and speed

im trying to get a gible with all perfect natures, so far ive managed to hatch a gible who has maxed out attack, defense, special attack and speed.

i know its not necessary to pass all 6 ivs to gible, but id still love to get a perfect one! how do i go about from here to pass the hp and special def on? do i need another ditto which has hp and special defense?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Breed a Gible of opposite gender to the one you have with HP and Special Defense. If you can get one that carries 4 or 5 IVs, all the better. Then breed them together.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
An amazing post!

How can I breed a 6IV? I have just one pokemon 6IV to breed, can I try with a male 6IV and females 5IV?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
An amazing post!

How can I breed a 6IV? I have just one pokemon 6IV to breed, can I try with a male 6IV and females 5IV?
You can. You just have to get lucky on the one stat that doesn't get passed, assuming that 5 31s pass. It's pretty much a 1/32 chance of getting a 6 IV if you pass the 5. 1/32 because 31 is max and you count 0.

Back