• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Do you think there should be change in pokemon league system

Years
Traditional pokemon league system has now made me yawning all time i just play through it. We can change the system in fan games. Like the one in anime-we collect gym badges, participate in conference(the tournament) and then we get privilege to battle e4 and champion. Or can we have a better one?

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
Years
Personally, I wouldn't care either way. I've played through multiple games that use the standard eight badges and Elite Four and have had a great time. A game shouldn't simply be judged by whether or not it has the traditional League system. There are more aspects to judge a game by than the Gyms.

I don't think adding in a tournament before the Elite Four would really make much difference. I mean, that's just more battling before the E4. The Victory Road pretty much takes care of that. A tournament would just tack more time onto it.

So all in all, I believe that it comes down to personal preference. Like I said, I personally don't mind what we've got now. But there are people out there who run around screaming that it needs to be changed. Ultimately, it's up to what the Dev wants to make and the players want to play.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
Personally I've always thought that Victory Road is basically analogous to how the anime shows a tournament before the Elite 4.
The difference is that in the game you need to pit the player against a string of trainers separated by wild Pokémon encounters to make it difficult, as generic NPC trainers alone shouldn't be a serious threat to the player if they have the right sort of team for the area they're in. Meanwhile a single fight in the anime can be a lot more tense. (and they're usually writing under the plan that Ash doesn't win the finals anyway)
From a game point of view, a tournament would either need to pit the player against really strong opponents, like the Battle Tower (and then the E4 has to be even stronger), or you would have to go through without healing between matches, which seems unfair from an in-universe.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
I want Pokemon Pyrite to do that, but I've an old version of essentials I can't upgrade, so I've been trying to use Luka's World Championship setup, but it's too new to work...

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
it would be interesting to have a tournament with other trainers before we get to the e4. might be easier to implement as a "tourney" meaning that the string of tariners and whose outcomes were predetermined, having it look like an actual battle. You would just need to program the trainers who you battle rather than force you to sit through a battle like that! XD

It would be interesting. But considering the strength of the trainers that have gone up against the elite four, I wouldn't be surprised if we did implement that system the E4 would be full-on competitive (Items, competitive movesets, max IV+EVs, good natures, etc).

I still find it kind of pitiful how Ash's pikachu couldn't even touch Diantha's gardevoir. and then face a team with three pesudo-legendaries + uber (Aegislash) + Mega Zard X with only a greninja left. I don't know how overkill it would be to put pesudo legends on these teams.

Sir_Tman

Overworked game Dev
Years
They way i'm doing it is that there are eight elite 4 members in rotation.
So out of 8 people you only fight 4 every run.

Blake7

To Ignite all people within our nation
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 30, 2018
In the games Victory Road = Pokemon Tournament of the anime.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I want a proper tournament, the winner gets to challenge the elite 4.

Back