• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Contract Challenge 2018: Sign up for round 6!

Years

Okay, since the last round started late, we're going to have a bit of an overlap here. You will have an additional week to finish your series from the last round, however we'll also be starting sign-ups for round three now.

Years
Okay, a review of Space Dandy.

Well, first off, I'll say there's positives. The artwork and music in this series are absolutely stunning. The bright, vibrant visuals draw you right in and make you want to see more of the world of Space Dandy and the animation is really fluid. The music does a great job of setting the mood and it has one of my favourite OPs I've heard in a while. The voice acting is also on point.

It's a damn shame that the show itself is pretty awful. I could complain about the flat one-dimensional characters, the "antagonist" who isn't actually involved in the story to any real extent, the lack of explanation for anything or that it's an example of how non-linear storytelling can totally fail but I'm not going to go into all that. No, my biggest complaint is that Space Dandy is a comedy that doesn't understand how comedy works. Dandy feels like it was written by a giddy eleven-year-old boy. The point of absurdism in comedy isn't to just make things as progressively immature and ridiculous as you can. That has the effect of someone aggressively yelling "LAUGH AT ME" in your face. Absurdism is about timing and interaction with a straightman (QT doesn't cut it he's so inconsequential). There's nothing wrong with making comedy immature or zany or silly, some amazing comedies do that. The difference is that they do it well.

So yes, not a fan. It's not completely unwatchable and I could easily have it playing in the background while doing something more enjoyable but with so many better things to occupy myself with out there I can't say with any honesty that I'm likely to pick Dandy back up. Fuck I love the OP though. 4/10

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Sorry this got put off a bit, Ayu had the show on her to watch list so we had to watch it together but had to finish Koi to Uso and Dragon Ball Super before we could <.<

So, Mayo Chiki. Currently we're about halfway through the show and we're pretty deadset on finishing it.

To start, the fanservice. Yowza, was not expecting this. It wasn't bad or anything, though I can definitely feel the "I really need this light novel to sell" teeming from a lot of the scenes. Specifically, when a perfectly normally clothed character ends up getting groped on her bare breast after the guy pushes her out of the way in an attempt to save her, I literally exclaimed "HOW?" because even though I've seen that type of thing time and time again, it actually took my brain a few moments to process how high they were willing to jump for some watcher/reader attention.

That wasn't really a problem, though, just some pretty standard early series bait by a writer who was willing to go pretty far. Kudos.

So that aside, I'm liking the show enough so far. The dynamic and chemistry between the main character and main girl is fun to watch and is easily my favorite thing about the show. It specifically reminds me a lot of the relationship between the main character and main girl from Working, albeit in reverse- though this one seems to be progressing a lot more quickly. It's also one of those relationships, similar to Okusama ga Seitoukaichou, where I'm not really sure if I want other characters really being that prominent when the series is at its best when it's about those two. This isn't to say I don't like the other characters or anything like that, because I do, but I am worried that it's going to turn into a RomCom hidden behind a harem rather than a RomCom with a mostly female cast- I...didn't really know much about Mayo Chiki before watching. It was always one of those shows that I knew the name of and I'd heard the opening to, but honestly I'd always get it confused with Acchi Kocchi just because.

And that's it for the most part, no big tirade this time since I've made this wait too long as it is.

Oh, and you bet your ass I want in on the next one.

Years
I'm going to need more than another week, lol. My tv gets here between the 10th and 12th.

I'll just do 2 next month as Franxxxx is something I was planning to watch anyway.

I enjoyed last one and watched anime that I would probably never watch otherwise, so I'm in for another round.

ill sign up again for sure

I'll sign up this time, I think. Still struggling =x

putting my name in the hat; hopefully i'll be able to watch the series and not be busy

Oh, and you bet your ass I want in on the next one.

Alright, we're a group of seven so we'll have one group of three like in the first round.

donavannj and aeternum
Zemanharad and Lipstick Vogue
machomuu ---> gimmepie ---> Meyneth ---> machomuu

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I got Gakkou Gurashi, which I have just watched the first episode of. I appear to be in for a lot of cute girls doing cute things.

Given that I can't really decide what I'm in the mood for anime-wise, I can definitely live with this.

Years
Spoiler:

How are we all going? I'm up to episode 9 of Shirobako.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
sadly, still haven't started mine, but I have faith that I'll still be able to complete it in the allotted time. Slowly downloading the series to watch on my phone episode by episode.

Years
I've watched 2 episodes of my thing so far. I planned on watching it this week, but unexpected exam appeared, so I'll have to postpone it to the next week.

pkmin3033

Ehhh...it reminded me a lot of Angel Beats - a pretty interesting concept that just isn't executed as well as it could have been. I didn't mind the cast - I've certainly seem equally generic cute girls, at least - but the entire thing didn't have much impact with me. It was something I watched just for something to do, rather than because I was getting real enjoyment out of it. Not offensively bad - it's not, like, Madoka or something - but not especially good either.

Back