• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I would like your opinion on Pokemon changes in a Rom Hack i'm working on

marrom

Memer Deluxe with a side of fries
Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Oct 7, 2017
So, I recently started working on a rom hack in my free time, with it's intention being changing almost all (if not all) pokemon, like changing their Type, Stats, Moves and Abilities. So far i've only reached the Arcanine line, so that's why I needed some suggestions. A few ideas I had were:
Drapion: Bug/Dark
Golduck: Water/Psychic
Arcanine: Fire/Normal (Stab Espeed)
Meganium: Grass/Dragon
Typhlosion: Fire/Ground
Feraligatr: Water/Dark
Sceptile: Grass/Dark
Masquerain: Bug/Water
Flygon: Dragon/Bug
Ambipom: Normal/Fighting
Zangoose Normal/Fighting
Milotic: Water/Psychic
Glaile: Ice/Rock
Rhyperior: Ground/Fighting
Vigoroth: Normal/Fighting
Raichu: Electric/Ground

One of the main thing I would like to do is take the Dragon type off it's pedestal, to make it more accessible, and turning it more into any kind of beast than just "Dragon", really.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Moved this to the Fan Games hub as it's more of a design question and can also apply to game development.

I think the Fairy type has already taken the Dragon type off its pedestal but you might not be planning to implement that.

As for the typing changes, I like most of them but there's a few that I think would work better otherwise.

Typhlosion: Fire/Ground
The 4x water weakness is terrible, I always thought Poison would be a good match for Typhlosion.

Sceptile: Grass/Dark
Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon and I think it fits well.

Milotic: Water/Psychic
You said you wanted more Dragons so I think Milotic would make a good dragon. Same for Gyarados. Psychic could work too, though.

Glaile: Ice/Rock
Glalie might be shaped like a rock but it's just made of ice. Ice/Dark could work.

Raichu: Electric/Ground
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Fighting would give it a unique typing combination even though it doesn't fit well either.

Were you looking for comments on your ideas or suggestions for other Pokémon's typing changes? And is it going to be just generations 1 to 3?

I'm not really a fan of typing changes but if they're implemented well, and the typing changes are actually introduced properly so you don't get confused when your Typhlosion loses to Bubble, for example, it could work, especially if that's the only major change in the hack.

marrom

Memer Deluxe with a side of fries
Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Oct 7, 2017
Thank you for the reply. I just felt like for me one of the most exiting things in hacks like Blaze Black is using Pokemon that had changes to them. (I'm hacking platinum, by the way)
So since this is just something I am doing for fun, I thought spicing things up a little would be cool.
I agree with you on everything except maybe Typhlosion, since it's based off a Honey Badger, and I thought it would fit (Fire/Ground is a terrible typing tho). Same goes for Raichu, since rats dig n stuff, but I guess that's kind of a stretch... Maybe just stick to stats and moves.

Back