• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Evo-Yellow - All Pokemon Follow, Evolve Pikachu, catchable 250+ pokemon, alt. Minimalist 151 vers and Eevee/Meowth Starter Versions

If I made a spin-off version with a different 1-evo pokemon starter, which would you want most?

• Meowth (I strongly lean this way because Team Rocket had following Meowth/ kitty is cute.)

Votes: 125 26.0%
  • Magikarp (might be hard to draw emotions... I mean, it's a fish)

Votes: 53 11.0%
  • Vulpix

Votes: 91 19.0%
  • Eevee - with one Happiness evo only, alas; other evos in wild. Rival has other Eevee evo or Pikachu.

Votes: 186 38.8%
  • Other (Light, black, or Pikachu-similar palettes preferred so I don't have to mess with it >_>)

Votes: 25 5.2%

• Total voters

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Updated! I've added a lot of those, except Marill and Azumarill, and Porygon-Z. I guess I can put them on the to-do list. :3 I was planning on doing a bunch of Johto pokes anyway. I don't entirely like Porygon-Z because it feels redundant but if you really want.

Oh, and previous version had bugged up stones, so I definitely recommend switching to the newer version if you want to enjoy new pokemonz.
I'd love to see Porygon-Z myself. And I think Gligar, Gliscor, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Phanpy, Donphan, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Munchlax, and Mime Jr. would be fun additions too. Not Pichu, Cleffa, and Igglybuff, though, as I feel their respective lines feel complete enough without them.

And if you're gonna add new moves, then I'd like to see Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Seed Bomb, Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw, Night Slash, Crunch, Dark Pulse, Dragon Claw, Dragon Pulse, Megahorn, X-Scissor, Bug Buzz, Signal Beam, Air Slash, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Power Gem, Aqua Jet, Flash Cannon, Mirror Shot, Bullet Punch, Metal Claw, Sludge Bomb, Poison Jab, Cross Chop, Force Palm, and Mach Punch.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
What is the Gender-Ratio of Pidgey and Spearow? I am attempting an all-female run (excluding male-only Pokemon, which I catch anyways), but I can't seem to find any female for either one. Great hack, BTW.

Edit: Also, I seem to only be able to find female Tangela, which could present a problem for anyone that wants to do an all-male run.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
What is the Gender-Ratio of Pidgey and Spearow? I am attempting an all-female run (excluding male-only Pokemon, which I catch anyways), but I can't seem to find any female for either one. Great hack, BTW.

Edit: Also, I seem to only be able to find female Tangela, which could present a problem for anyone that wants to do an all-male run.
My gender table is currently all out of order, sorry. It's likely those two are among the mucked up ones. Because it loads things by internal order rather than pokedex order like you expect it to, and I didn't realize this until later. That fix will be in the next version - in which case I suspect some of your female tangela will spontaneously turn male. Next version will be quite soon, since bugs like that are pretty annoying.

Thank you for the compliment. :3 I've had a rough week, that cheered me up.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
I'd love to see Porygon-Z myself. And I think Gligar, Gliscor, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Phanpy, Donphan, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Munchlax, and Mime Jr. would be fun additions too. Not Pichu, Cleffa, and Igglybuff, though, as I feel their respective lines feel complete enough without them.

And if you're gonna add new moves, then I'd like to see Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Seed Bomb, Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw, Night Slash, Crunch, Dark Pulse, Dragon Claw, Dragon Pulse, Megahorn, X-Scissor, Bug Buzz, Signal Beam, Air Slash, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Power Gem, Aqua Jet, Flash Cannon, Mirror Shot, Bullet Punch, Metal Claw, Sludge Bomb, Poison Jab, Cross Chop, Force Palm, and Mach Punch.

Alright. I'll definitely add Porygon-Z, Gligar, Gliscor, Teddy's and Phanpy's family. I don't really know about the babies, because they fit in kind of awkwardly; you get Snorlax in the sleeping events, so getting Munchlax would be kinda pointless, even though I like Munchlax, as you're going to get your hands on an already evolved Snorlax. Magby, Elekid, Smoochum and Mime Jr. make a bit more sense, although I can't remember if you can get their evolved Jynx and Mime in trades in Yellow or not which makes them slightly redundant like the Snorlax issue. I guess I will be adding Smoochum and Mime Jr. because otherwise Jynx and Mr. Mime have no evolutions at all, and it is more fun to have an evolution than none.

If/when I add Ursaring, I might be tempted to make one of the Snorlaxes an Ursaring for variety, although the sprite wouldn't change. :D Good or bad idea?

I do want to do new moves. More variety in types and physical/special split are musts. Those will be on the list to do for sure. I should probably try to do at least a couple in the next update, I have no idea how fast they'll go - probably they won't be too much of a pain as long as I reuse old animations and battle effects.

I've just indexed sprites for Marill, Wooper family, and Yanma and Yanmega, and Swinub and its evos, and already have an indexed sprites for Porygon-Z. So all those pokemon will probably be in the next update soon,. Since I hate making people have to start over, I might try to avoid adding them to the pokedex/updating pokemon number immediately tho' so old saves will still work at cost of minor bug (or I hope what would be minor bug). This proooobably won't work tho' hah.

I had to devamp two of those, Yanmega and Mamoswine, as I couldn't find devamps of them (maybe I didn't look hard enough), I'll put them here in case anyone wants to use or critique the devamp. Keep in mind I can only use 4 colors and that the game will color it in. I think I may have to do a devamp of Gliscor myself too.

Attachments

• yanmega.png
    yanmega.png
    572 bytes · Views: 7,928
  • mamoswine.png
    mamoswine.png
    668 bytes · Views: 7,916
  • yanmegab.png
    yanmegab.png
    524 bytes · Views: 7,907
  • mamoswineb.png
    mamoswineb.png
    426 bytes · Views: 7,911
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Wow I wish I hadn't bought Yellow on the 3DS now I've seen this :(

Thank you! That's a huge compliment.

Alright, another update, alas, not compatible with old saves. Gender wackiness is fixed now. More pokemon, like Marill by popular request, plus I wrote a fix to annoyingness of Rage and Wrap, and added a whooooleee bunch of new moves (I admit I just stole them from Red++ open source, it was easier than doing the same ones all over again >_>) although some of their effects aren't 100% in yet.

I've been updating like every single day so I'm starting to really tire myself out now. Now that I've got the most egregious bugs down, and a pretty good variety of pokemon, I think maybe I'll slow down and focus on tweaking trainer teams for difficulty and little stuff like that. Although I said that last time. I'm really bad at telling myself to do anything. >_> It just makes me so sad to have to start over new saves. Although I've changed beginning gameplay a fair bit so at least it won't be too repetitive.

Gameplay musings:
Most surprising thing to me is how much I've been using Rattata. Having it a dark type totally changes its usefulness for me; early game at least it's turned into a really great pokemon, haha. Sandshrew as part steel is pretty great too for sucking up attacks that are ineffective against it.

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Let me know when you've fully fixed the Wrap and Rage effects, OK? Because I was thinking of putting them in my own hack... that is, as soon as I've figured out exactly what went wrong in Alpha 3.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Instead of redoing the whole table, it would be easier to just use the IndexToPokedex predef to convert it before the lookup. I didn't need that in Red++ because ID matches Dex number in there.

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you, now I know how to convert any tables I need to do that to in the future.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Let me know when you've fully fixed the Wrap and Rage effects, OK? Because I was thinking of putting them in my own hack... that is, as soon as I've figured out exactly what went wrong in Alpha 3.

Okay, so, allowing you to attack while getting wrapped instead of getting stuck forever, go to battle core.asm, (it might be named a little differently in red or something) and find the following (you can probably find it just by searching for the word wrap):

Code:
bit UsingTrappingMove, a ; check if enemy is using a multi-turn attack like wrap
    jr z, .selectPlayerMove ; if not, jump.

Change that so instead it always jumps to .selectPlayerMove.
jr .selectPlayerMove worked for me. I personally just decided to add a chance for it to sometimes stop you from attacking to keep wrap from being completely wimpy but also not unstoppable, but you don't have to do that. I might even change it to always-attack if my chance-to-attack wrap ends up too annoying.

For being able to choose a new attack after doing rage, you do pretty much the same thing, you go find where in core it checks for rage and stops you from attacking normally if you use it. The lines you want are:

Code:
    and (1 << NeedsToRecharge | (1 << UsingRage)) ; check if the player is using Rage or needs to recharge
    jr nz, .selectEnemyMove
; the player is not using Rage and doesn't need to recharge

Just remove the part where it checks for rage, and you will be able to change attacks during rage but getting attacked during that turn will still raise your attack (it is how the new gen ones work exactly, I think). Search for UsingRage again, and you can find the NeedsToRecharge | UsingRage line for the enemy too if you want.

I hope that was helpful.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Thanks. I was able to at least see for myself what Bind could do, and I could select a move while Brock's Onix was Binding me, but I couldn't actually execute any moves. Did I miss a step as far as the revised trapping effect is concerned?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
This is very nice!

I like that Pikachu learns Surf, and evolves by happiness but only once it reaches level 16.

Just to clarify, cause I couldn't tell from the first post, this hack uses my Pokemon Yellow Gen II Graphics Hack, right?
I see a mention of Red++ and the yellow disassembly, but I didn't see you saying you are using my hack as a base, which it appears that you are.

Bugs:I haven't fully tested this yet, so, it can be potentially glitchy. I know the palette doesn't load on its status screen, for some reason, although that's a pretty minor bug.
To fix this bug, change `VICTREEBEL` in this line in palettes.asm:
Code:
cp VICTREEBEL + 1
to the last Pokemon after VICTREEBEL that you added in constants/pokemon_constants.asm

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
This is very nice!

I like that Pikachu learns Surf, and evolves by happiness but only once it reaches level 16.

Just to clarify, cause I couldn't tell from the first post, this hack uses my Pokemon Yellow Gen II Graphics Hack, right?
I see a mention of Red++ and the yellow disassembly, but I didn't see you saying you are using my hack as a base, which it appears that you are.

To fix this bug, change `VICTREEBEL` in this line in palettes.asm:
Code:
cp VICTREEBEL + 1
to the last Pokemon after VICTREEBEL that you added in constants/pokemon_constants.asm

Ah, I wrote 'Yellow Gen 2 Sprites' but I forgot to put your name in front, or the 'disassembly' part, sorry. Fixed now. Sorry for any confusion.

And thank you for the palette fix! Worked wonderfully.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
No worries!

I'm glad it worked. I'm always willing to help out with technical things, so feel free to ask!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 21, 2018
Would running shoes be able to be incorporated into this, or does Pokemon riding negate a need for that?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Would running shoes be able to be incorporated into this, or does Pokemon riding negate a need for that?

Shouldn't be any reason he can't add running shoes, and make Pokemon Riding be faster than running, the same as I did for the bike in Red++.

Pokemon Riding does make you go faster than walking, but it's basically just the bike with a pokemon sprite instead (Which in my opinion is cooler).

I am thinking of doing running shoes at some point; the only thing is that I will probably have to make a whole bunch of extra changes (and have to track down where to make them) as Pikachu has separate speed from the player I think, which could end up being a massive pain idk; I haven't really looked at it too much yet. I know Gamefreak took the lazy route when they made pikachu not follow you when on the bicycle, as then they didn't have to bother with updating Pikachu's speed.

Anyway, new update! Pikachu now properly changes walking sprite into Raichu when she/he evolves! No more two different versions obnoxiousness.

My ASM on the offchance anyone wants it:
Spoiler:

And, I also updated the title screen to have the hack name :D. Hack is starting to look a little polished now.

...okay, I spoke too soon. I haven't aired out all the bugs involving the raichu sprite change yet. But just walking around from map to map it seems to work OK. There is one bug where talking to Raichu causes it to spontaneously turn back into a Pikachu I haven't figured out yet. Opening your party menu and then closing makes it revert back. A little annoying, but, overall it's still an improvement over before I'd say.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
So, are there any voice clips of Raichu? Because I think it would be a rather natural progression, to have the Raichu say his own name as well.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
That would be a very cool change! And I think it would be a very first for a Yellow hack!
This should now be possible thanks to the work that ShantyTown did to convert Pikachu's voice to .wav files.

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
I've been playing this for the past day and have loved it so far, a couple of things I would like to point out, though.

First, since you change Sandshrew's palette and type to match it's Alolan form, and Ratatta seems to have a darker palette, have you thought about making Raticate have different colors too? It's nothing big, but I was just curious since the game seemed to be having some things from Sun and Moon.

Also, in Mt. Moon, you can fight Prof. Oak over and over again. Not sure if this was intentional or not? I'll point out anything else I notice as I play more.

Back