• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Heartgold or Soulsilver?

Which one did you prefer?

• Heartgold

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Soulsilver

Votes: 54 57.4%

• Total voters

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I chose SoulSilver for some inconceivable reason and now deeply regret doing so, because I wasn't able to catch Growlithe... :c I wasn't a fan of many of the version-exclusives, either.

It probably had something to do with the packaging, the name ('SoulSilver' sounded more ethereal to me than 'HeartGold') and the fact I wanted a Lugia.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I picked HeartGold. While I have both SS and HG, I played through more of HG, while I just lost interest in SS. I'm not sure what the reason was, but I was able to play through HG more. Maybe it's because I prefer the PokeWalker that came with my HG game more, since it has the Ho-Oh protective case on it.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 25, 2013
Soul Silver all the way. As a kid, pokemon was kinda my thing. Red/Blue were my bread and butter. Then came Gen 2 .. with new pokemon, a new region .. and right along with it, my whole life was changing. I have a very nostalgic, warm place in my heart for Silver .. and the Gen IV remake has been like a walk down memory lane .. allowing me to make new memories in the process. Really, that's what pokemon is all about for me.

Years
HeartGold! Ho-Oh has an amazing backstory and I find it to have a better design than Lugia. Plus HG gets the amazing Growlithe and Kyogre, so that's definitely an easy choice for me. :D

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
There isn't really much difference between the two.
But I like Soul Silver better, though I played Gold and Heart Gold first.
And to be honest I like Ho-oh better, because it's offensive in battle.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I chose Heart Gold, mostly because I prefer Ho-oh over Lugia and many of the other version exclusives as well. I also tend to go for the under rated of the two games (Black version, Ruby version, etc.), and I saw that everyone wanted Soul Silver, so I went for Heart Gold.

Years
  • Seen Feb 14, 2014
I like SoulSilver more because of Lugia. I also like the colour silver more than gold.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I initially chose SoulSilver as I love Lugia (well, loved - it's not that great now I've owned it IMO). But I eventually switched to HeartGold mainly due to wanting to get Growlithe (Emerald and LeafGreen both had Vulpix, but I had yet to own a Growlithe) and Phanpy.
So although I don't especially like Ho-oh, it's definitely superior. Partially due to superior version-exclusives (when I initially wasn't a fan of Magby and family, Growlithe meant I could pick Totodile as a starter - Arcanine and Feraligatr were both in my team the first time I beat Red), but also as somehow heading up the tower to meet Ho-oh in the middle of an ancient city seems more of a climax than diving down into some islands to meet a pokémon that has little back-story even in its own game. The only thing that does annoy me is the lack of Delibird. Yes, it's an awful pokémon but I'd still like to own one.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Silver was my preference of the originals, it was the second ever game I owned/played after yellow and it turned out my best friend (who had gotten me into the games) had chosen Gold. We pretty much beat them together, trading to help each other out, mystery gift and we even both beat the elite four sitting right next to each other at a sleepover.

I had even traded all my Yellow bests over to it including mewtwo, the legendary birds and my first ever caught pokemon, a pigeot called Windy. I ended up reaching 17 elite four defeats and 3 level 100's including Windy. I remember catching Lugia with a single greatball on my trainer. I hadn't realized that until I found it and since it was such a ***** getting through the whirl islands I said 'screw it, I'll just keep resetting until the damn great ball works' but all be damned it worked the first time.

It still bums me out to think how it's all gone now. It died in around 07. I had just barely found out they could die as my gold had the previous year.

So out of nastalgic biased I chose Soul Silver and Windy now has a son, Windy II. :D
Once I get a job I'll probably end up buying Heart Gold though.

I just realized something. I recently started a new Soul Silver file in which I just today won my first bug catching contest with a male butterfree, exactly what happened in my original! <3

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Going purely on color (...omg that sounds awful i'm sorry), I pick SoulSilver. The version exclusives in both games don't stand out to me all too much, other than Vulpix and Growlithe, though I like them equally. So yeah. Only thing that really pulls me over the edge to one of the two is that silver is one of my favorite colors, and for you oldies out that, my name sake for the beginning of my PC career. So yeah!

Years
This is the only set of games for which I have had both at some point (currently owning Soul Silver). Heart Gold is my preference due to Ho-Oh, but unfortunately I could only buy SS when I bought for the second time.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Going purely on color (...omg that sounds awful i'm sorry), I pick SoulSilver. The version exclusives in both games don't stand out to me all too much, other than Vulpix and Growlithe, though I like them equally. So yeah. Only thing that really pulls me over the edge to one of the two is that silver is one of my favorite colors, and for you oldies out that, my name sake for the beginning of my PC career. So yeah!

It's not terrible, color preference is why I chose the original Silver and Black.

Heart Gold is my preference due to Ho-Oh

Both Lugia and Ho-Oh are in BOTH versions, so that is not a difference. I think that classifies as color preference.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
soul silver, my mum bought me home pokemon silver for the gameboy. so i have childhood attachments to it. plus i like the colour silver more. but i prefer ho-oh, and i get ho-oh on a higher level. ;)

Back