Released Pokémon Rising Earth (Version 1.1) Page 4

Started by Never_this_again September 8th, 2021 11:55 AM
  • 80 replies
Seen October 26th, 2021
Posted October 17th, 2021
11 posts
221 Days
2. If you are already pretty far in and don't want to lose your progress, and just want to beat the Elite Four: Play the game on your old version as normal, but prepare your team as you would for the Elite Four (catch what you want, breed what you want, EV train if you need to, yadda yadda).
What if I don't just want to beat elite four and want to do other stuff as well? Does it mean i only have the choice of restarting over? I would be really discouraged since i caught every pokemon available on a particular map so far and I am already at the 8th gym... Is there no way to fix the HM problem?
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted October 18th, 2021
25 posts
84 Days
What if I don't just want to beat elite four and want to do other stuff as well? Does it mean i only have the choice of restarting over? I would be really discouraged since i caught every pokemon available on a particular map so far and I am already at the 8th gym... Is there no way to fix the HM problem?
Fixing the HM problem would not be the big issue. I could technically put an NPC into the Pokemon League that just gives you the HM Items if you don't have them yet, now that I think of it. The bigger issue is that all wild encounters will cause your game to crash, which is all that the post-game game currently consists of.
Seen 1 Week Ago
5 posts
80 Days
So, I took the option of just using version 1.2.0 to beat the annoying Warden and challenge the Pokémon league. Unfortunately I was stuck with 4 HM moves I didn't want, but them be the ways.

Rain room was easy enough, so was sand. Hail was a little annoying, sun was ok. I had to PP stall the Champion because my team was not EV trained :] Here's the squad.

There seems to be a huge glitch with this version if you're loading up old games. Every time I knocked out a Pokémon, an error box came up on screen, see attached. My Pokémon would then repeat the attack against an empty space. Then the opponent would send in a Pokémon. This made certain moves unfavourable - mostly Volt Switch and U-Turn, because I didn't get to switch. If an opponent died to phase damage (sandstorm, leech seed, etc) the same dialogue box came up and then the opponent didn't do anything. This essentially gave me a free turn to heal, after which the opponent would send out a Pokémon. I'm guessing this isn't happening for people starting a new file on v1.2.0 but I just thought I would point this out.

Comments on the game overall
Spoiler:

Firstly, good job. I enjoyed the game! The story was interesting, and I was definitely intrigued by the whole Monoliths thing. I particularly enjoyed stealing Mega Stones off the Paladin admins, and some of the conversation throughout the game was chuckle worthy.

The difficulty/level curve, everything like that was just right in my opinion. I was always within 1-2 levels of the opponents (usually marginally below, which is correct) and only had to use the trainers in the Poké centers because Dreepy is a terrible Pokémon and the pkmn company likes to annoy us by making rubbish Pokémon evolve at stupidly high levels. Though I blacked out many times, no battles were unplayably hard, I just couldn't be bothered to keep going back to the Pokécentre on longer routes. I also didn't EV train, which is why I kept getting outsped in the E4 by mons that I shouldn't have, so I'm guessing they have proper EV spreads? Not sure, but even so, only the Champion was somewhat difficult because his squad is, ah, elite.

I always battle all trainers and don't think you need to make trainer battles optional, it's not like there was an overabundance. Encounter rate seemed a little high, I'm not sure if this is because I had auto-run set.

I think I'd probably have more to say if I hadn't spent all last week thrashing Metroid Dread while this game was not in a playable state but, yes, I enjoyed it, it's definitely comparable to other fan made games I've played. You didn't add too many features like some games do (stuff like changing natures, improving IVs etc.) but the HM items would have been nice before getting so far!

A couple of weird (non glitch) things I noticed
Spoiler:

The AI does not know how to use Full Restores. Many times in Gym Leader/E4 battles, they used Full Restores on their lead mon when it had only lost 1 chunk of HP to Leech Seed. I'd say that probably needs to be addressed in the long run, because they were basically shooting themselves in the foot.

I hit a Mandibuzz with Brick Break after it did Roost but it did not hit for SE damage. Also Seed Bomb on Gliscor, same thing. Maybe need to check whether that interaction is configured correctly - i.e. Flying type being lost on the same turn that you Roosted.

Between the trainer classes and their names, there appears to be an extra space. it's like: Youngster___Joey instead of Youngster Joey

After the first fight with your rival, there didn't seem to be a way to heal until I had left town and come back. Likewise, there was no way to box the early mons caught before reaching the first poke centre.

As I mentioned before there were some typos I noticed during the game so I will send these to you separately when I get a chance, maybe on the weekend.
Seen 16 Hours Ago
25 posts
84 Days
Can this be fixed? If it can be fixed I will wait till it's fixed before updating the game
I'll be honest here and say probably not. The issue came up when I updated the two big third party plugins I use; EBDX (battle interface) and the Generation VIII project. I'm not that good a coder, but I guess the errors arise from version mismatch between the save and the current version in the game. Since that's not something I've made and I can mess up a lot by messing with those two scripts, I don't think I can fix that issue.
So, I took the option of just using version 1.2.0 to beat the annoying Warden and challenge the Pokémon league. Unfortunately I was stuck with 4 HM moves I didn't want, but them be the ways.
First of all, congrats on beating the game.

Secondly, I'll probably release a new new version tomorrow that has a guy at the entrance to the Pokemon League that gives you the HM Items you don't have yet. (And also because I accidentally left the editable game file in the release when I was supposed to remove that.)
There seems to be a huge glitch with this version if you're loading up old games. Every time I knocked out a Pokémon, an error box came up on screen, see attached. My Pokémon would then repeat the attack against an empty space. Then the opponent would send in a Pokémon. This made certain moves unfavourable - mostly Volt Switch and U-Turn, because I didn't get to switch. If an opponent died to phase damage (sandstorm, leech seed, etc) the same dialogue box came up and then the opponent didn't do anything. This essentially gave me a free turn to heal, after which the opponent would send out a Pokémon. I'm guessing this isn't happening for people starting a new file on v1.2.0 but I just thought I would point this out.
Based on the error file it looks like that's an EBDX error that comes from the same version mismatch I've mentioned above, which I sadly cannot really do anything about.
Spoiler:

The AI does not know how to use Full Restores. Many times in Gym Leader/E4 battles, they used Full Restores on their lead mon when it had only lost 1 chunk of HP to Leech Seed. I'd say that probably needs to be addressed in the long run, because they were basically shooting themselves in the foot.

Yeah, I've been made aware of this. At some point I'll need to do some rebalancing, which would also include checking if they work better with Hyper Potions or if I just give them Full Heals and leave it at that.

I hit a Mandibuzz with Brick Break after it did Roost but it did not hit for SE damage. Also Seed Bomb on Gliscor, same thing. Maybe need to check whether that interaction is configured correctly - i.e. Flying type being lost on the same turn that you Roosted.

I've noticed that, but that seems to be an issue with the original essentials that had been fixed in the recent hotfixes (at least I think I saw it in the patchnotes) so that interaction should be correct from 1.2 forward.

Between the trainer classes and their names, there appears to be an extra space. it's like: Youngster___Joey instead of Youngster Joey

I've noticed, but, that has been a peripheral error for me so far, since it's just a mild annoyance and doesn't really break anything. But I'll get to it eventually.

After the first fight with your rival, there didn't seem to be a way to heal until I had left town and come back. Likewise, there was no way to box the early mons caught before reaching the first poke centre.

You should be able to heal anyway. The thing is just that your mom has one line of text commenting on your new Pokemon before she will set the switch to get to her standard text that heals you. So all you should need to do is talk to her twice at the start. As for the boxes thing, I didn't really see that as an issue during the making. I guess if you want to box your starter early on.

As I mentioned before there were some typos I noticed during the game so I will send these to you separately when I get a chance, maybe on the weekend.

That would be great, thank you!
I made my comments in italics, because, well, a spoiler is a spoiler.

Also I'm glad you enjoyed the game, and thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it.
Seen 21 Hours Ago
Posted 21 Hours Ago
418 posts
1.2 Years
Just like to know, did anyone EV train and IV breed their pokemon before they challenged the 7th gym?
I EV trained, since trainers do obviously have good EV spreads, but didn't breed. I have to admit I won a few battles just thanks to the AI doing dumb things.
https://i.postimg.cc/G3PyZVvM/Signature-B.jpg
Favorite rom hacks/fan games: Prism, Gaia, Rising Earth, Bushido, Radical Red.