• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Mar 8, 2023
I have added four additional cards from my previous post. I believe the are Bandai Carddass vending machine cards. The card numbers on the foil side are 1186,1212, 1199, 1195 on the foil side but on the back there are different numbers. I?m looking for a price guide for cards in this series because I have a lot more.

Attachments

• 9C895D52-9212-4190-94E9-0DCD264BC693.jpeg
    9C895D52-9212-4190-94E9-0DCD264BC693.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3
  • CA627A7A-9B6A-4453-8195-FDCC47CA6638.jpeg
    CA627A7A-9B6A-4453-8195-FDCC47CA6638.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3
Years
Looks like my reverse holo Skuntank is holo across the whole card and not just the perimeter. The shine can be seen across the entire card. Misprint?

Got a pic? That's actually normal for reverse holos from most sets.

Thanks for that Aduitt

I wasn't sure if they were real as they have the obvious things to check first like the copyright dates at the bottom.

As to the donfan i have seen the donphan but just dismissed it as just being one that is just alike as its pic is completely different in appearance.

Is there anyone at the actual Pok?mon who i can confirm that these are definitely fakes?

While I don't work for Pokemon, I can say with 100% certainty that they're fakes. There are other tells that stand out to me like some of the fonts being different, the names not matching the Pokemon on the cards, the ridiculously high HPs that are in a smaller font than the letters "HP" when they should be the same font size as the letters "HP", a "Donfan" evolving from Voltorb, the "Edition 2" stamp on the left side of the card (only stamps that go there on the older cards would read "Edition 1"), the Neo Genesis set symbol on a card with a collector's number of 18/64 (Neo Gensese, the Fighting Energy symbol being reprinted 3 times for both Weakness and Resistance on the "Donfan", and the attack damages being in the completely wrong font as well as absurdly high for those energy costs. Donfan is someone creating a fake/counterfeit based off of a scan of a Jungle Electrode to make it look "real enough" to fool people who don't know better, like young children who like Pokemon and adults who have no idea what Pokemon cards should look like.

As for "Nyura", it's using a romanized version of the Japanese name instead of the English name, which would be Sneasel, it has a collector's number of 215/64, which does not exist in any set at all, it has the "Edition 2" stamp, it also has a ridiculous HP number in the wrong font, the attack damage is in the wrong font and ridiculous for that energy cost, the Psychic type symbol is repeated 3 times for the Weakness, and it has the Neo Genesis set symbol when the collector's number has a /64 in it. Neo Genesis had /111 in it's collector's number. Nyura is basically someone creating a fake/counterfeit based off of a scan of a Jungle Mr. Mime to make it look "real enough" to the same people "Donfan" is intended to fool.

And that's not even getting into whichever one of the cards lacks significant details on the card back (top left in the photo of the 3 card backs; the other two look moderately passable on the back).

Hope this helps you understand how they're counterfeit.

I have added four additional cards from my previous post. I believe the are Bandai Carddass vending machine cards. The card numbers on the foil side are 1186,1212, 1199, 1195 on the foil side but on the back there are different numbers. I?m looking for a price guide for cards in this series because I have a lot more.

I've not seen price guides for those anywhere, unfortunately. Though those don't appear to match the Cardass scans found here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pocket_Monsters_Carddass_Trading_Cards

You sure that's what they are?

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Mar 8, 2023
Not sure if they are carddass or not but I?m pretty sure they are from vending machines. I have attached another picture with more cards. Numbers range from 1180?s to 1220?s with one that was marked 1884. There is a pokeball on each side with the corresponding number. Each side seems random as to what other pokemon is on the other side. They all show evolution stages. There is no other writing other than the Pocket Monsters on the front and back of each.

Attachments

• 094D41C1-05D1-443E-AC13-BE82C14F542F.jpeg
    094D41C1-05D1-443E-AC13-BE82C14F542F.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 7C7DF7DB-34A0-4114-938C-0E62E7DBA718.jpeg
    7C7DF7DB-34A0-4114-938C-0E62E7DBA718.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 4
Years
Not sure if they are carddass or not but I?m pretty sure they are from vending machines. I have attached another picture with more cards. Numbers range from 1180?s to 1220?s with one that was marked 1884. There is a pokeball on each side with the corresponding number. Each side seems random as to what other pokemon is on the other side. They all show evolution stages. There is no other writing other than the Pocket Monsters on the front and back of each.

Wouldn't they have copyright information?

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Looks like my reverse holo Skuntank is holo across the whole card and not just the perimeter. The shine can be seen across the entire card. Misprint?
Sounds like a counterfeit to me. Most of the DP-onward counterfeit foils I've seen have the foil covering the card. Do you notice any typos or lack of the accented "?" in Pok?mon? Does the back seem blurry or too dark compared to other cards?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 7, 2018
Old pokemon cards worth something?

Hello there!

I have found a pile of 10000+ random cards from Base set 1&2, Jungle, Fossil, and Team Rocket while helping my parents move. I haven't played pokemon for about 15 years, so I have no clue what holds value.

As a MtG player, I figured I'd sort out the rares and foils as those are likely to hold the most value. Before I start sorting and pricing all these cards out, are there any specific ones to look out for?

Thanks.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 10, 2018
I had the same type of situation/find. Sort out the valuables from the none, then sort out the ones of good quality.

Of this batch, shop prices on Ebay, find sellers that are actually selling and there's a good price range for you.

In my opinion only first edition cards and miss print cards have any real value.

Years
Hello there,

Potentially there could be some seriously pricey cards in there.

For the big money cards. Look out for ones that don't have a shadow down the side (Shadowless). If you check out my latest video you'll see the different between them

Also any Charizard like the one below.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 7, 2018
Hello there,

Potentially there could be some seriously pricey cards in there.

For the big money cards. Look out for ones that don't have a shadow down the side (Shadowless). If you check out my latest video you'll see the different between them

Also any Charizard like the one below.

Thanks. I've got at least one of those. Although it's beat to shit because I was a kid and didn't use protectors.

I have a lot of cards with the "edition 1" marker on them, too. Is it worth sorting out those commons/uncommons?

Years
Hello there!

I have found a pile of 10000+ random cards from Base set 1&2, Jungle, Fossil, and Team Rocket while helping my parents move. I haven't played pokemon for about 15 years, so I have no clue what holds value.

As a MtG player, I figured I'd sort out the rares and foils as those are likely to hold the most value. Before I start sorting and pricing all these cards out, are there any specific ones to look out for?

Thanks.

Thanks. I've got at least one of those. Although it's beat to shit because I was a kid and didn't use protectors.

I have a lot of cards with the "edition 1" marker on them, too. Is it worth sorting out those commons/uncommons?

Hello. First, I'd like to state that I've merged your post into the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

Secondly, your rares are probably the best to sort out first. And check all others for any that match the errors found on this page: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Error_cards . Also make notes of the ones where they say the corrected version is rarer, as that's probably the more valuable version.

Those "edition 1" cards may be worth sorting out as long as the condition is good. Though they aren't quite worth as much as a lot of people hope they are because even though they're 1st Edition cards, they're still commons and uncommons which means there's quite a bit in circulation. You may get some cash out of them, but a lot of people are looking specifically for the rares.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Does anyone know how much this card would go for? I bought this years ago and have no idea.

Attachments

• 36245D35-74DA-4FDA-BEBE-D65EC91D4B9B.jpeg
    36245D35-74DA-4FDA-BEBE-D65EC91D4B9B.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 6
  • D853C858-3138-4366-8BD4-4ABAAEC41818.jpeg
    D853C858-3138-4366-8BD4-4ABAAEC41818.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Provided my eyes haven't failed me, I can confirm your Ancient Mew is an English promo released in 2000.

Depending on the condition, you're looking at a value of around $7.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 12, 2018
Are these cards valuable?

Hi all,

I went digging into my old room at my parents' house and found quite a lot of Pok?mon cards. I was wondering how much they are worth, could you guys help me out?

These are the different type of sets I have and brief summary of interesting cards and other Pok?mon items:
  • TV Animation Edition: Holo Ivysaur, Zubat, Parasect, Primeape, Machop
  • Base set 1999 (Mainly English & Dutch cards):
    • Holo's: Alakazam, Clefairy, Gyarados English with the nr printing error, Gyarados (1st ed), Poliwrath, Machamp (1st ed), Magneton, Mewto, Raichu, Venusaur (FR)
    • Overall a mix of English, Dutch, French and Italian cards. A lot of double common cards in Dutch and English.
  • Jungle set 1999 (Mainly Dutch):
    • Holos: Mr. Mime, Vaporeon, Flareon, Snorlax
    • First Edition: Flareon, Jolteon, Snorlax (German), Exeggutor, Fearow, Nidorina, Rydon and more
  • Fossil set 1999 and Team Rocket 2000:
    • Not many, but a Gengar
  • Neo Genesis 2000:
    • Holo Feraligatr and First Edition Quagsire
  • Neo Destiny 2002:
    • Dark Ursaring, Light Machamp
  • Skyridge 2003:
    • Holos: Aerodactyl! , Kabuto, Misdreavus, Zubat (118), Friend ball
    • Rares: Beedrill, Jolteon, Dewgong, Forretress, Houndoom, Raikou
  • EX Ruby & Sapphire 2003:
    • Holos or Reverse Holo: Camerupt, Poochyena, Professor Birch
  • Promo cards from the movies:
    • Electabuzz, Mewto 3, Mewto 14, 2 Holo Entei
  • Other non-trading card items:
    • Action Flipz & Marbles
You can view all cards on dropbox: " sh/28t8y0hzb3jxjmz/AABNVXzvYE1LwpNSOjo5Osb-a?dl=0 "

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 14, 2018
Pokemon Card Collection

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I used to collect a lot of Pokémon cards and just came across my old collection, and was wondering if any of the cards were rare/worth anything. Thanks.

Attachments

• 21D18385-A55C-4160-A6FA-A67BB2FDB20A.jpeg
    21D18385-A55C-4160-A6FA-A67BB2FDB20A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • A369679D-9F0A-43DD-B258-BE6F2B72D778.jpeg
    A369679D-9F0A-43DD-B258-BE6F2B72D778.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=391812

For future reference.

Some of them look to be in decent condition. Can you get me close ups/high quality snaps of Charizard, Venusaur and Alakazam? Poliwrath, Ninetales and the second page are beyond sellable condition for any actual money unfortunately. Moltres looks alright but not sure if there's a market for it and Mewtwo came in a theme deck so has always been fairly common with collectors.

Last edited:
Years
Hi all,

I went digging into my old room at my parents' house and found quite a lot of Pokémon cards. I was wondering how much they are worth, could you guys help me out?

These are the different type of sets I have and brief summary of interesting cards and other Pokémon items:
  • TV Animation Edition: Holo Ivysaur, Zubat, Parasect, Primeape, Machop
  • Base set 1999 (Mainly English & Dutch cards):
    • Holo's: Alakazam, Clefairy, Gyarados English with the nr printing error, Gyarados (1st ed), Poliwrath, Machamp (1st ed), Magneton, Mewto, Raichu, Venusaur (FR)
    • Overall a mix of English, Dutch, French and Italian cards. A lot of double common cards in Dutch and English.
  • Jungle set 1999 (Mainly Dutch):
    • Holos: Mr. Mime, Vaporeon, Flareon, Snorlax
    • First Edition: Flareon, Jolteon, Snorlax (German), Exeggutor, Fearow, Nidorina, Rydon and more
  • Fossil set 1999 and Team Rocket 2000:
    • Not many, but a Gengar
  • Neo Genesis 2000:
    • Holo Feraligatr and First Edition Quagsire
  • Neo Destiny 2002:
    • Dark Ursaring, Light Machamp
  • Skyridge 2003:
    • Holos: Aerodactyl! , Kabuto, Misdreavus, Zubat (118), Friend ball
    • Rares: Beedrill, Jolteon, Dewgong, Forretress, Houndoom, Raikou
  • EX Ruby & Sapphire 2003:
    • Holos or Reverse Holo: Camerupt, Poochyena, Professor Birch
  • Promo cards from the movies:
    • Electabuzz, Mewto 3, Mewto 14, 2 Holo Entei
  • Other non-trading card items:
    • Action Flipz & Marbles
You can view all cards on dropbox: " sh/28t8y0hzb3jxjmz/AABNVXzvYE1LwpNSOjo5Osb-a?dl=0 "

Hi, I've gone ahead and moved your post to the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

Anyway, that's quite a few cards, and I don't see myself personally having the time to go through most of them. Have you tried looking up Sold Listing prices on eBay yet? May be your best friend in pricing since you have a boatload of cards that need pricing.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I used to collect a lot of Pokémon cards and just came across my old collection, and was wondering if any of the cards were rare/worth anything. Thanks.

Hello, I've gone ahead and moved your post to the appropriate thread for this type of question.

Prices are as user Hands says generally.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=391812

For future reference.

Some of them look to be in decent condition. Can you get me close ups/high quality snaps of Charizard, Venusaur and Alakazam? Poliwrath, Ninetales and the second page are beyond sellable condition for any actual money unfortunately. Moltres looks alright but not sure if there's a market for it and Mewtwo came in a theme deck so has always been fairly common with collectors.

Moved the thread you replied to, FYI.

Though Mewtwo has a premium attached to it because of its popularity as a Pokemon, iirc, so I'm fairly certain it's got some value. It's just nowhere near where it would be if it weren't in a theme deck.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
That 1st edition Dark Charizard you got there is probably your highest value card, but it looks like it's seen better days. :( The Base Charizard, Blaine's Moltres, and Venusaur might be worth something but it's hard to assess the condition.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Heej there people, I am a owner of a PSA 9 shadowless no damage error Ninetales. I am looking for history of this card, but because they are enormously rare I can find almost nothing useful. Any ideas on this card and do you know if there is a PSA 10 of the card out there?

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back