• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Problems of the Pokémon Franchise

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
I don't personally think that a franchise can be held accountable for the actions of its fans. I suppose these things ARE problems, depending on your perspective, but they weren't created by the franchise, but rather the fans of it. It's an important distinction to make. At least until Game Freak publishes some official Rule 34 fanart, or we get some reps joining forums and encouraging toxic behaviour. GF has never actively engaged with its fanbase the way, say, Sonic Team has, though, so it's not really responsible for any of this.

I get the sense that there is this expectation that the franchise will "grow up" with its original fans and strive to always be relevant to its original audience, rather than its target audience. Whilst a lot of franchises do this - Digimon definitely has, as the ever-present comparison - plenty do not. At the end of the day, it's there to make money, and tastes change with time...however, there are always kids around.

It makes more business sense to remain relevant to a younger demographic, rather than to try and remain true to the same target audience, especially considering there is no way of telling what would appeal to the older generation of fans now. Different people want different things, and the only evidence they have to go off of is that more of the same sells. Not only that, but people who were around for the first generation are old enough to have kids of their own now, and I imagine many would be inclined to introduce their children to Pokemon if it was the same as they remember...which it definitely is, because it's never changed. So I wouldn't say this is necessarily a problem with the franchise, looking at it from a more detached perspective.

...that said, there is adequate room to do both, and with LGPE being so geared towards newer players in particular I think Game Freak might actually be recognising this, FINALLY. Whether or not we get games clearly designed to cater towards older fans in the future will determine this one way or another, but I don't think it an inherent problem with the franchise if we don't.

If we do though...god, do they need to actually hire a proper writer.

Agreed, Team Skull was awful for a villain team. I wish we had more Magma-like teams that have insane, apocalyptic goals.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
None. Ever since I regained my interest in the franchise 2 years ago I've tried to stop focusing on the bad stuff about it. Though...

And another one that looks like Keys.
250px-707Klefki.png

Yes. I agree. I normally think most inanimate objects are underrated except for that one. Definitely one of the worst critters in the series and one of few mons that I will never use given the choice.

Unrelated, but first post of 2019!

Edit: Okay, thought of a new one: I'm not fond of how they gave out Blaziken's mega evo before the other gen3 starters. I know it was to promote that event but why that mon in particular? I like all the gen3 starters and would have rathered if they revealed them at the same time.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I guess 10 years old that are drawn in a way thats attractive to adults is a bit of an issue.

I mean, look at May from ruby and sapphire o_o; though I think the re-design for alpha and omega was nurfed down a bit, thankfully.

And of course, the amour shipping fandom also irks me. Some of those fans are a little too crazy o_o; But I have seen nice amour shippers, too, though. Code Helmet, I have no real issue with him. Seems like an overall cool guy. :P

Back