The PokéCommunity Forums Entertainment & Media Anime & Manga
Event Anime Contract Challenge 3

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Old 1 Week Ago (1:05 PM).
???

i gave macho minami-ke and he punished me with gir(a)lish number

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (2:27 PM).
I'm All Plugged Out!

Nature: Adamant
I gave Charlotte and received Trigun, almost finished it now :3
Old 1 Week Ago (3:45 PM).
From The New World
PokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Mild
One day, Florges will come back online and I'll have an anime to start. One day.

Old 1 Week Ago (6:43 PM).

I bought my assigned series because Funimation decided to remove it from their streaming service sometime in the last 6 months. And then I had it shipping to my parents' address rather than mine. Whoops. I'll still be starting it, though. When I go over to pick up my other mail that still winds up there, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
One day, Florges will come back online and I'll have an anime to start. One day.
Alas, today is not that day.
Old 1 Week Ago (8:23 AM).
Your edges are officially snatched!

Nature: Calm
I finished No.6 earlier today and I have to say I do quite like the show. I really like dystopian/utopian settings (see: Psycho Pass) however the show didn't take the themes it introduced in its worldbuilding and ran with them. The elements of shounen-ai, which I'm definitely not opposed, thankfully did not take away from the main development of characters (honestly it wasn't gay enough for me lol) but I would have to fault this anime's pacing for feeling very rushed and having a rather thrown-together resolution (there's also no real antagonist??? Despite them hinting at the presence of one??). Some of the characters had pretty much very little constructive screen time and one of them felt like a Deus Ex Machina. As for filmography and scoring, I can't comment much. The ending captivated me more than the opening which felt really awkward but also invoking an ethereal aura in relation to the utopian tropes, and I'm quite pleased at how the ending track was woven into the finale. On the whole, I would have to give No.6 a six (ironically). I don't dislike it; I don't love it. It is, I would say, a mediocre show. It's really lacking a wow factor.
Old 1 Week Ago (9:04 AM).
Made of magic and a symphony of red dreams
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
i gave macho minami-ke and he punished me with gir(a)lish number
I punish because I love

I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:05 AM).
High Impact Love and Kindness

Nature: Modest
Is that what people consider punishment nowadays?
Old 1 Week Ago (12:12 PM).

Nature: Hardy
God y'all are fast...
Old 1 Week Ago (4:19 PM).
From The New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingCobaltX View Post
God y'all are fast...
Not everyone!

Old 1 Week Ago (7:41 PM).
Your edges are officially snatched!

Granted I only had eleven episodes to cover xD
Old 1 Week Ago (8:23 PM).
From The New World

Florges Hath Cometh

She gave me Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and I set her Joker Game.

Old 1 Week Ago (9:32 PM).

Picking up my DVD/BluRay order for my assigned show tomorrow. Might marathon it over the weekend.
Old 1 Week Ago (1:35 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by machomuu.
Crystal Tier

Hm...so I'm about a third of the way through the first season of Minami-ke and...oh boy.

I didn't really know much about the show before going into it, though it only took a few minutes for me to realize that it was a cute girls doing cute things type of show. Which is fine, really, since I do, indeed, like cute girls doing cute things. Though if the show doesn't have much substance and is just an episodic SoL about cute muk then it's a bit harder for me to bite into, largely because I'm the type to get invested in characters rather than having them just be a wallpaper for my desktop or the next figure I buy because I like the aesthetic. This is why I tend to like comedies of this nature: they tend to be relatively easy to bite into.

So, about Minami-ke. So far it's not bad. My reaction to it's been something of a slow burn, largely because the comedy is pretty different compared to most shows by the same director, likely because he hadn't fit into his niche by that point (the first show of his that I really liked, Mitsudomoe, wouldn't be made for another 3 years), so laughter has been pretty sparse and it took me until episode 3 to actually laugh audibly, mainly because when the guy does do comedy his way, it really shows.

This in mind, I feel like the show also needs time to settle into the fact that it's a show. Because, for instance, they repeatedly use this gag where hyperrealistic close-ups of the characters faces are used, but they use it more than they probably should. For all intents and purposes, it should be hilarious whenever it shows up, usually because there isn't any sort of telegraph. so it really catches you off guard. The problem is, it really isn't used as sparingly as it should be, so its effectiveness varies. A lot of times it seems like the gag is used because they want to fill the space in a scene and they hope that it's humorous rather than because it would make the aforementioned scene funny and it would fit there (or it wouldn't fit and would be funny by contrast).

And there's one other...problem, I guess. I won't really officially call it one and, well, I pretty much expected this before going in. Mid-2000s anime loooooved doing this. Long-term misunderstandings for the sake of situational setups, plot, and relationship building (or stasis, depending on the series). I'm kind of a sucker. As I mentioned, I'm the type of person that gets invested in characters for being characters, so, generally, when a show rises from the woodwork and uses this as a framework, I get frustrated. Partially because I just don't think it's the ideal way to go about things and really just seems like an easy way to make X plot, X back and forth romance, X whatever go on for literally as long as you want. Made worse when there isn't actually any sort of conclusion or, worse, when they tease a real conclusion in front of your face and then swipe it up at the last moment. That's not funny, that just pisses me off.

Granted, it can lead to good comedy. In the case of Mitsudomoe (again, by the same director), the relationship between the middle sister and the teacher and their misunderstandings about both one another and their favorite sentai show was both really hard to watch and regularly hilarious (though it was hard not to cheer for both of them). Ranma 1/2 did this pretty well with any chapters involving his mother, as despite the largely episodic nature of the long-running manga, even though the chapters with her felt cyclical to an extent, pretty much all of them felt like they pushed Ranma as a character forward and led to some genuinely sweet moments (as Rumiko's wont to do in that series).

But again, in both of these cases I actually get really invested, partially because I like the characters involved but also because it just makes me want a satisfying conclusion. Because I imagine that if these shows had shortened their misunderstandings from taking place over the course of the entire series to in maybe one to three episodes, I probably would have been just as invested and the characters involved could grow with that development in mind. Back to Minami-ke, 'cause I'm just psyducking rambling at this point, that's what I'm seeing here. The middle sister is being crushed on by the popular guy in class, but she's a dumbass so she asks her 5 year old sister who knows jack muk about romance and ends up antagonizing the guy because she thinks that he's out to get her. That's all hyperbole but basically that's the scenario, and while I am, again, a sucker and am totally invested in the situation, I also find myself hoping for a quick conclusion that I know isn't going to happen. In this case, I'd actually prefer it, because easy setups are nice, but psyduck if these two aren't hard to watch.

All of this to say, if it sounds like I don't like the show, that's not the case. I like it more with each episode, and honestly, everything I've said here basically reflects my hopes for the series going forward. While I don't see too much changing in this season, as the seasons go forward I definitely see the show fitting into itself in a similar manner to how a series like Working did as the years went by. So we'll see, but that's my long-ass interim report that took way too long to write and nobody asked for.

Old 1 Week Ago (11:22 AM).

Now that's just making us look bad.
Old 1 Week Ago (12:09 PM).

As for my own series. I thought I'd taken a decent chunk out of it but it turns out I've taken a smaller chunk out of the 2009 White Album series. Good job me.
Old 1 Week Ago (5:13 PM).
The Garden Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Florges
Started watching Joker Game. I am so addicted to the opening! The song is everything I love when it comes to swing/jazz. I will say one of the biggest strengths in the series is how well the spies blend in with the crowd so far. Sometimes I wouldn't realize who the spy was until the end of the episode. So far, so good.
Old 1 Week Ago (2:35 PM).

I've started into Selector Infected WIXOSS.

While it's mostly been fun, there's several things that have already bugged me 3 episodes in:

The anime has not explained how the game works. Like, at all. The only reason I have any idea is because I'm familiar with numerous CCGs and TCGs, so I can guess at the mechanics based on what little gameplay's been provided.

Spoiler: Selector Infected WIXOSS

Akira has been written as a non-sympathetic villain. It feels really lazy.

It feels like it's intentionally trying to be "grimdark" with those nightmare sequences and such.

The characters so far have also been very troperific. Hitoe plays the shy glasses girl trope straight, Akira plays the unlikeable entitled princess villain role very straight, and then clueless heroine Ruka also plays that role straight. Yuzuki has also pretty much played straight a role I've definitely seen numerous times before, but I can't quite pin down what it is.

I'll still be finishing the series.
Old 6 Days Ago (7:57 AM).
From The New World

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is pretty good so far, although I felt it could have done without the double-length first episode. The voice acting and music are just superb.

Old 6 Days Ago (8:34 AM).

I finished out Disc 1 of WIXOSS yesterday. Which means I got through Episode 8.

Spoiler: Selector Infected WIXOSS (seriously spoilers in here this time)

The characters still haven't really gotten me attached to them and a lot of the card game stuff still seems like an ass-pull.

Akira is still never shown as sympathetic. Iona is clearly shown as predatory as well. Neither of them are sympathetic villains. I saw Akira's downfall coming from a mile away. Hitoe's downfall set it in stone that "lol, psyduck making our villains even remotely sympathetic let's deliberately create some forced drama and trauma."

And then that "WHAT A TWEEST" type of twist where that's clearly Yuzuki appearing in the card at the end of Episode 8. Saw that coming from a mile away. I had my suspicions on that type of thing happening just given the tone of the anime, no serious foreshadowing required.

All the signs are there for a total train-wreck ending and I'm calling it now: Tama is this psyducking destructive infected mutant that will cause some major calamity series-wise and somehow the power of friendship saves the day for some bullmuk reason despite never being the solution at any other point in the series because "screw consistency, it's Deus Ex Machina time!"

That or literally every character suffers a serious tragedy by the end and we need a new set of characters for the next season. Either or.

It feels like a deliberate Madoka clone.

I feel like there's supposed to be a message here (that being that you need to make things happen under your own power rather than waiting for a miracle), but it seems like it's going to get totally diluted and set fire to by the end of this series.
Old 6 Days Ago (9:55 AM).
The Garden Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Florges
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is pretty good so far, although I felt it could have done without the double-length first episode. The voice acting and music are just superb.
And the voice acting only gets better. A lot of the voice actors in the show are veterans who studied Rakugo in real life. This is the best role I have ever heard for Akira Ishida. Also, the double length episode didn't bother me too much. Watching it felt like only fifteen minutes went by. I was that intrigued.

I finished Joker Game. Overall, I really liked it. My only issue was how it jumped all over the timeline. It was too serious for the jumping around. I feel like if it was more linear it would have worked better. It gets an 7.5/10 for me.
Old 4 Days Ago (4:33 AM). Edited 4 Days Ago by machomuu.
Crystal Tier

Finished Minami-ke and it was a good old time. All of my previous comments still stand basically, and...well.

So I started Okawari right after, and what I wasn't expecting was that it'd be done by both a new studio and a new director. So all of that business about the show "settling into itself in later seasons" is right out the window, because holy hell does this feel like a different show (though that said, I believe Okaeri and Tadaima are buy the original directors- I haven't really looked into them yet).

Any of you watch Oregairu and then got whiplash once you started season 2, only to see that everything looks different and you can't even recognize some of the characters until their names are said? That's basically what Okawari felt like. And to some extent it takes this to some extremes. For instance, the Minami household is basically nothing like it was before, and a lot of the time it feels like the house's layout changes to suit the scene its in. The characters look less cute than they used to (I don't mean that they look worse, moreso that the aesthetic has moved closer to realism than anything else), and unnamed characters are filled in in black.

Other than that, there's the opening, which I somehow like more than the original's despite it being this eccentric anti-sitcom opening that doesn't fit with the show at all but, in a stranger sense, works with it really well. And I suppose I could go into a long post about what I think about it buuuuut since my contractual obligation ended with the original I'd rather not bore everyone here with my mad ramblings about the sequel. So I'll just condense it.

Okawari feels like if someone watched...let's say an Akiyuki Shinbo show or maybe Revolutionary Girl and said, "I want to make something like that." Then later went on to make The Devil is a Part-Timer and *shivers* Mirai Nikki. And that's exactly what happened. Well, the latter half happened, at least- but these odd perspective shots, the excessive use of darkness (and shading in general holy hell why is this show so dark), and an immense amount of butt definitely make it feel like the former. Which isn't really a bad thing so much but there is a definite disconnect from the former. Pretty much everything that the show either looks different or is straight up different (Haruka's school, I would assume for the sake of differentiation, is probably the most jarring thing to change in the show, to the point that I thought she might have started college in between the two series). And apart from that, the new designs can tend to emote...not so well. There are times when an emotion is meant to be displayed but it shows far better in the voice actor's performance than it does in the character's expressions or body language.

Also, they still do the hyper-realistic face gag but unlike in the original, they transition into it in real time. As in, Naru coming to terms with the falsehood of her mandom style. My problem with this is that it works less here than it did in Barakamon or the original Minami-ke because, apart from it now having a telegraph, it seems almost obligatory, as if it's something that the manga did (which I would assume it was) or potentially something that the original did to great reception that they had to replicate. Normally this would work fine but...like...there was this one scene where a character idly sat biting her nail, said gag happened thereafter, and then she changed back and said her piece. And the scene was about as funny as that previous statement reads. To this end, I think I actually have to repeat what I said about the original: this feels like a show that to settle into itself- less so the fact that it's an anime and moreso the fact that it has shoes to fill and, currently, its vision and the vision of the director don't seem to be fully in sync yet.

Aaaand that post turned out to be even longer than I wanted it to be and even less coherent than the last one. But to conclude, yeah, original Minami-ke was a good time, and Okawari's doing pretty fine, too. To the latter's credit, despite being less engaging from a character development standpoint so far, its general comedic timing and humor is better than the original's right from the get go, so despite the criticisms from my end I am actually enjoying it because there are clearly a lot of ideas floating around here that work thanks to some pretty eccentric execution. And the ending's hypnotic as hell and super mid-2000s.

Also Kana's my favorite.

I wanna be sorry.

But I can't.

I just.

Can't.

EDIT: Whelp I keep on truckin and Okawari's easily better than the original, at least from a comedy perspective. It settled into itself really quickly.

Old 4 Days Ago (5:12 AM).
When you're hungry...Eat!!!

Send a message via Skype™ to Uzumaki Naruto
I'm halway through Accel world and it's been a blast so far xD
Old 1 Day Ago (3:20 PM).

Alrighty then. Finished Selector Infected WIXOSS. It was... an experience.

Spoiler: Selector Infected WIXOSS

Episode 9 thoughts: Okay, that specific twist was not what I expected... but it really doesn't surprise me. I may have watched too much anime to be not in the least bit surprised by the whole Selector becomes eternal girl and the LRIG gets the wish. I was more thinking that the new LRIG was more a clone of the Selector at the exact moment their wish is "granted", but apparently I was wrong on that. Hitoe still doesn't have her memories back, which is no surprise. She probably won't get them back ever. Lesson is clearly "Don't wait for miracles to happen, that leads to disaster. Make things happen instead."

Episode 10 thoughts: This snooping Ruko and Yuzuki are doing isn't serving anyone well. Also Hitoe's mom and Ruko's mom clearly have enough similarities to bring up some past trauma (?) of Ruko's. Part of me is suspecting this is a show Hanayo is putting on because she knows Yuzuki's watching. And it wasn't a show, but she was aware, though. Iona is still non-sympathetic.

Episode 11 thoughts:
Battle Royale??? Iona be cray cray.

What a tweest. This mysterious building has plot relevance.

And here's the purpose of Tama hinted at in the beginning. Like episode 2 or 3. ruko is going to end up as an LRIG.

And Hitoe throwing down the gauntlet seems very out of character.

Oh hello emotional development from Tama.

Somehow I don't think this is going​ to happen that way, Ruko.

Of course the celeb is the child of someone wealthy.

So now we have Ruko basically becoming HomuHomu now.

Nobody understands what you mean when you say you'll save everyone.

And Tama is starting to go rogue.

Oh hello that recollection is a bit unexpected.

And is Iona trying to end up in the LRIG dimension?

Episode 12 thoughts:

More doom and dreams being crushed right out of the gate.

And a new OP with a flashback montage for the finale. A bit uncommon in most anime I watch.

And here we have the tragedy of poor communication resulting in a bunch of friends suffering because they're trying to protect each other without communicating well.

Is this the start of the bullmuk power of friendship ending? It definitely feels like it.

Oh hey the scene of the nightmare sequences​ finally surfaces for real.

We finally start seeing some of Tama's origin story.

Also this white lady is pissing me off.

Iona is clearly a sociopath with issues way beyond standard.

This is totally not a surprise that Iona gets her wish.

And then a teaser for the next season.

So, in summation everybody but Iona, her LRIG, and maybe Tama got a big dose of "LOL psyduck you" from the Selector arrangement.

5/10, nearly dipping to a 4/10.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links