The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Main Series Games Second Generation
Faults of G/S/C

Second Generation Gold, Silver, Crystal

Old 1 Week Ago (7:54 PM).
golems are a girl's best friend!

Nature: Sassy
The purpose of this thread is to take an objective look at the second generation games. This includes the new region, over 100 new Pokémon, new held items, and more. Of course including your own thoughts will make this an even better discussion. I'm sure most of us have played through these games many times and have a good look at what works and what didn't.

The Level Curve:
This was the biggest pet peeve for me. There was just no consistency in terms of levels throughout the region. Not to mention this also spreads to the wild Pokémon found making it pretty difficult to grind to be prepared for the Gym Leaders.

The lack of Dark-types during the game
Umbreon is the only Dark-type available during the game. Houndour, Murkrow, Sneasel, and Larvitar are only obtainable until post-game which at that point, you have to go through hell and back trying to train them up to match the rest of your team.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (8:15 PM).
Often lost in thought

Nature: Calm
My biggest problem was the level curve. Lance and the E4 had their Pokemon at their late 40's/early 50's while mine barely made it to to their 40's. It's worse after because then the kanto leaders have their levels at 50's while mine are still at 45. It's even worse with Red.

How did they not fix that in HGSS? I don't know, but other than that I thought the games were great.
Old 1 Week Ago (2:13 PM).
I'm All Plugged Out!

Nature: Adamant
Yeah the level curve was pretty tough, I mean it's acceptable with Red cause he was meant to be a really tough fight but otherwise it kinda sucked.
Old 1 Week Ago (2:36 PM).
golems are a girl's best friend!

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Yeah the level curve was pretty tough, I mean it's acceptable with Red cause he was meant to be a really tough fight but otherwise it kinda sucked.
I get that, but the level jump from Kanto to Red is pretty insane, considering there are very limited, if any, training spots that are actually worth the EXP.
Old 1 Week Ago (2:41 PM).
I'm All Plugged Out!

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodrift View Post
I get that, but the level jump from Kanto to Red is pretty insane, considering there are very limited, if any, training spots that are actually worth the EXP.
Yeah that's the thing, although Red is made tough on purpose, there's not really a solid way to train Pokemon to a really high level, so I often ended up beating him by spamming full restores and other cheap methods, which felt kinda lame.
Old 1 Week Ago (4:52 PM).
twisted logic

Nature: Relaxed
Agreed with the level curve. I also didn't like it how a lot of Johto Pokemon weren't available until after the E4 (on top of the Pokemon mentioned in the OP, iirc Slugma was unavailable). It felt pretty annoying to have to wait so long to catch one, and then to have it be so underlevelled that it wasn't worth training up.

Also the lack of Johto Pokemon on the Gym Leaders' team was a bit disappointing as well. From memory, Falkner, Bugsy (I think?), Morty and Chuck didn't have any Johto Pokemon, even though there were Johto Pokemon to choose from. It definitely seemed like a missed opportunity to showcase new Pokemon.
Old 1 Week Ago (6:21 PM).

In Gold and Crystal I wished Lugia had Aeroblast. Overall the wild pokemon levels.

Old 6 Days Ago (7:48 PM).

Nature: Quirky
I agree with what a bunch of people already pointed out about GSC's level curve.

I also dislike the roaming legends because chasing them around felt tedious. I think it would of been nice if you can find more gen 2 Pokemon in Johto such as Houndour, Murkrow and Slugma.

Also wish that you can find elemental stones before you reach Kanto. They kind of fixed this in Crystal but relying on phone calls to get the elemental stones feels a bit too random for my taste. In some cases it's best to trade over Pokemon to the gen 1 games and evolve them there.
Old 6 Days Ago (1:18 AM).
Harmony of Storms

Nature: Docile
I agree with the others about the level curve. For me it was one of the main faults. If I have to think how tedious training for the League alone was... Getting a Tyranitar was pure hell! Even worse, HGSS didn't fix it.

Another one is the rarity of Johto Pokémon. While I understand Johto is Kanto's neighbour, I'm annoyed how Kanto Pokémon are running rampant in Johto while the Johto ones are rare to find and even worse, some good ones are found in Kanto only. HGSS kinda fixed it with the Safari Zone, but it's still late because of the grinding problem. Besides, most of the Gym Leaders prefer using Kanto Pokémon, which causes me (my adult self) to cringe. Is it too hard giving Falkner a Hoothoot or Bugsy a Ledian or Spinarak?

Also... Getting the Elemental Stones is tedious compared to Gen 1. It would be better the Goldenrod Department Store could sell them like the Celadon one did in Gen 1/3... Even the Pokéathlon in HGSS wasn't a good solution for me, since it's still hard to get the points...

While I like Gen 2 and had completed the Pokédex for the first time, it has some big faults where I wish it can be adjusted...
Old 6 Days Ago (2:13 AM).

My problems are what the original post said and what a few others have said.

The dark types. Murkrow, Larvitar, Sneasel and ESPECIALLY Houndour should be found earlier since there aren't a lot of fire types either if you don't pick Cyndaquil. I think only Vulpix/Growlith and Magmar are available.

I really wish the stones were available at the department store.

Also the rare pokemon in Red and Blue:
Pikachu 5% Viridian Forest
Chansey 1% Safari Zone
Tauros 10% Safari Zone
Dratini 25% Safari Zone Super Rod
Snorlax Only 2

are all tough to get but also much more useful in battle than...

Dunsparece 1% Dark Cave
Marril 1% Mt. Mortar
Yanma 1% Route 35
Snubble 1% Route 38
Sudawoodo Only 1

Now I know there are swarms but I can never get these people to call me. Then once you catch them they're not that great in battle.

Oh, well. Still my favorite gen!

Friend Code: 5258-0954-7742 John
Friend Safari: Electric: Dedenne Helioptile Zebstrika
Innovator of the Drunklocke.
Old 1 Day Ago (5:21 PM).
Lyoko Princess

Nature: Careful
The level curve was horrible. I get that they were trying to make the game less linear so the Pokemon had to be lower level, but come on. At least raise the levels of the Pokemon between Mahogany Town and Blackthorn City! Kanto had no excuse to have such low level Pokemon. Even Mt. Silver had weak wild Pokemon! The other problem with 2nd Gen is roaming legendaries. What, did they think the ridiculously low catch rate wasn't good enough? Now they have to run away from you on the first turn, too? I hate, hate, HATE roaming legendaries.
Old 16 Hours Ago (3:03 AM).

Nature: Quirky
Johnny has a notable point, the wild encounters are all messed up by making all the good Pokemon just TOO DAMN RARE! Doesn't help that training in Johto is extremely boring because of the bad level pacing of the wild Pokemon, and was probably why I gave up on the region as soon as Black & White came out.

Sponsored Links