• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
Years
Well a very obvious one( I Hope) Is were if you go to a gym and go to were it says something like

CELADON GYM

LEADER.....

WINNING TRAINERS...........

If you take a fishing rod and use it right infront of it you will see your character actualy fishing on a statue

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
Years
When I was in the Cerulean Cave, training Dragonite, I met a Chansey. I decided to check Dragonite's stats in battle; but when I went back to the battle screen, the Chansey looked like its sprite had been replaced with Dragonite's, and then chopped up and rearranged (similar to what would happen with MISSINGNO.). But I had not used any type of MISSINGNO. or 'M glitch on that save file before.

You may have used the MISSSINGNO. cheat to make your items infinite and you used the cheat many times....

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2010
He said besides the Mew glitch, Missingno. glitch and Glitch City/s.

There is a glitch:

Go to Viridian City. Talk to the man near Route 2. Say 'No' and he shows you how to catch Pokemon. He catches a Weedle. Then Fly to Cinibar Isle. Use Surf on the edge of Cinibar Isle on the right-hand side. Go up and down repeatly nd you can find Missingno's cousin 'M'. If caught, screws up your game. But also I saw ultra high level pokes like Snorlax Lv. 136. And pokes that don't even go there. Weird. If you run away from a Missingno, the sixth item in the inventory is duplicated to ?9.

Years
He said besides the Mew glitch, Missingno. glitch and Glitch City/s.

There is a glitch:

Go to Viridian City. Talk to the man near Route 2. Say 'No' and he shows you how to catch Pokemon. He catches a Weedle. Then Fly to Cinibar Isle. Use Surf on the edge of Cinibar Isle on the right-hand side. Go up and down repeatly nd you can find Missingno's cousin 'M'. If caught, screws up your game. But also I saw ultra high level pokes like Snorlax Lv. 136. And pokes that don't even go there. Weird. If you run away from a Missingno, the sixth item in the inventory is duplicated to ?9.
That is part of the Missingo glitch.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 29, 2007
This is just weird. Heres my story believe it or not.

I inputed some GS codes I got from some random site that allowed me to capture pokegods and battle Professor Oak. Well, today I decided to take a stroll down Viridian Forest while holding spacebar (this is vba) and then somehow as soon as I exited Viridian Forest I was in Diglett's Cave! This is not the end of my weird yet wonderful day. I then decided to complete Digletts Cave, only to find that as soon I completed it I was in Glitch City! O.O Then trying desperately to get out I fainted my weak pokes then having the teleport code on, I teleported to the deepest part of the Unknown Dungeon. I kept trying to move but it seemed I was stuck in one place. Then suddenly, this bubble appeared and it said, "Oak: Mew!" Then he battled me and I was like WTFBBQ!

True Story. I only have 1 screenie though... ;_; Only of Digletts Cave glitch city but it is true! Has this happened to any of you?

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2010
This is just weird. Heres my story believe it or not.

I inputed some GS codes I got from some random site that allowed me to capture pokegods and battle Professor Oak. Well, today I decided to take a stroll down Viridian Forest while holding spacebar (this is vba) and then somehow as soon as I exited Viridian Forest I was in Diglett's Cave! This is not the end of my weird yet wonderful day. I then decided to complete Digletts Cave, only to find that as soon I completed it I was in Glitch City! O.O Then trying desperately to get out I fainted my weak pokes then having the teleport code on, I teleported to the deepest part of the Unknown Dungeon. I kept trying to move but it seemed I was stuck in one place. Then suddenly, this bubble appeared and it said, "Oak: Mew!" Then he battled me and I was like WTFBBQ!

True Story. I only have 1 screenie though... ;_; Only of Digletts Cave glitch city but it is true! Has this happened to any of you?

No, it has never happened to me. I tried a Pokegod but just froze.

NewMew

Sephiroth
Years
here something strange on red.
at the beginning type in your name as Betty... Do the Missingo glich and tell me what apears hee hee hee.......

yinyang147

Spiderpig fan
Years
I have a glitch. It'll work for red, blue, gold, and silver versions (the others I haven't tried. Test this out on the other versions and let me know if they work). You need the walk through walls code for this (If you don't have it, the code is 010138CD).

Ever heard of the endless grass glitch? Where you need to capture an Abra, then turn on teleport to the PKMN league code, use abra's teleport then you beat the game, and warp to endless grass? well, truth is, you are beside pallet town. in the grass that should freeze your game. Here's the easy way to get to the endless grass.

Have the walk through walls code off for now. When you enter viridian city (from pallet town), as soon as you hear the music change tracks, go five paces forward, and then go left till you can't go any further. then hit down once, turn on the WTW code, and go through the rocks, which will soon be grass. Keep going further into the grass, and route 1 music will play. You will even encounter some route 1 pokemon. Go even further, and you will hear pallet town music. When you hear pallet town music playing, head left for a bit, and you should see a portion of P. Town. Don't bother going into the houses though. You won't be able to anyway.

Goblinaro

[Insert creative title here]
Years
Yes there is a chart. I'll get it in a few minutes.Mystery Solved!
Q: What is Missingno.?
A: For most variables on Game Boy games, the fewest possibilities for the variable is 256 (HEX 100), labeled 0 to 255 (HEX 00 to FF). This goes for most variables in RBY, including ones for all the Pokemon lookup slots. However, only 151 Pokemon exist in RBY. So, if there are 256 possibilities, and only 151 slots were defined by the programmers, what do the other 105 slots have? Glitches. And so, Missingno. was created.

Q: How do I find it?
A: You don't know how to find it? Go play some more RBY. But, if you're one of the outcasts who doesn't know how to find it, here goes. Talk to the Old Man at the northern edge of Viridian, and let him catch a Weedle. Then, Fly to Cinnabar (you can also go to Fuchsia and Surf to Seafoam Islands, but that takes a lot longer) and Surf up and down the right edge. After a while, you'll run into some unnatural Pokemon at high levels, and Missingno. (or a Pokemon with a glitched name containing 'M in the middle). NOTE: THIS DOES NOT WORK IN YELLOW, OR THE EUROPEAN VERSIONS OF THE GAME.
Not true! I've received reports of MissingNos and 'Ms from European players!!!

(At this point, it gets very complex. You'll be better off reading the rest if you know how to hack.)

Q: Why does the above trick work?
A: There are two things that, when combined, made it possible for this trick to exist. Here they are:

1. When creating the map for what Pokemon appear where, they made a crucial flaw. The 1-square-wide strip of water on the right side of Cinnabar and Seafoam Islands was programmed to be a place where wild Pokemon CAN appear. But (and thank GAMEFREAK for this one) they forgot to define what Pokemon can appear there. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that means the previous settings for "what Pokemon can appear" will remain, and if you read #2, you'll see why that causes the glitch.

2. When the Old Man catches the Weedle, they change the variables that are assigned to "Your Name" to Old Man, so it shows up as "Old Man threw the Poke Ball." Now, in order to do that, it overwrites the variables you gave to "Your Name". Therefore, the game must store the variables that make up your name to another place, so it can recall them later. So the programmers at NOA probably thought,
"What are some variables that we can overwrite to assign to the character's name for this process?"
"I got it! How about the slots that define what Pokemon you can run into?"
"That's it! Whenever the character enters a new area, they'll be rewritten, so it won't disturb the game at all!"
*points to #1* Umm.....no. As a result, that wonderful glitch can be yours for only *insert whatever price your local retailer charges for R/B*! Of course, it's not JUST Missingno. you can run into. There will also be some L100+ Pokemon, whose species and levels are determined by your name.

*sees audience sleeping*
*turns on 12-inch subwoofers at full blast*
There. Now that I have your attention,....

Q: How do I determine the levels?
A: First off, look at letters 2, 4, and 6 of your name. Those letters will determine the levels of the Pokemon you can run into. First, take the NUMERICAL equivalent (A=1, B=2, etc.) of those letters, and add 127 for uppercase or 159 for lowercase. In addition, the symbols are as follows:

( 154
) 155
: 156
; 157
[ 158
] 159
PK 209
MN 210
? 239
P(monetary symbol) 240
x(times sign) 241
. 242
? 245
Also, at the end of your name, the game inserts an 80 (HEX 50) to designate "End of Name". Because of how the variables are used, this means that one of the levels your Missingno. (or glitched 'M name) will be is always L80.

Q: Species determined by name? Cool! I'll get a new name and try that so I can get Mew WITHOUT SHARKING!
A: Hold it right there. While it is determined by name, the lowest number assigned to a character (other than the 80 that is assigned to the "End of Name" character) is 128, for a capital A. In EVERY variable that designates a Pokemon, Mew is assigned the number 21 (HEX 15). If you can make the connection, that means that NO name you enter will result in Mew being a possibility. The low numbers like 21 represent glitch characters that are not available for naming anything and can only be found with a Shark. For convenience, here is the table of what Pokemon will appear for each letter. Letters 3, 5, and 7 are used to determine this:

A: Golduck
B: Hypno
C: Golbat
D: Mewtwo (BIG OPPORTUNITY HERE!)
E: Snorlax
F: Magikarp
G: Missingno.
H: Missingno.
I: Muk
J: Missingno.
K: Kingler
L: Cloyster
M: Missingno. ('M)
N: Electrode
O: Clefable
P: Weezing
Q: Persian
R: Marowak
S: Missingno.
T: Haunter
U: Abra
V: Alakazam
W: Pidgeotto
X: Pidgeot
Y: Starmie
Z: Bulbasaur (Get all the starters without trading!)
a: Missingno.
b: Missingno.
c: Missingno.
d: Ponyta
e: Rapidash
f: Rattata
g: Raticate
h: Nidorino
i: Nidorina
j: Geodude
k: Porygon
l: Aerodactyl
m: Missingno.
n: Magnemite
o: Missingno.
p: Missingno.
q: Charmander (Get all the starters without trading!)
r: Squirtle (Get all the starters without trading!)
s: Charmeleon
t: Wartortle
u: Charizard
v: Missingno.
w: Missingno. (KABUTOPS FOSSIL)
x: Missingno. (AERODACTYL FOSSIL)
y: Missingno. (GHOST)
z: Oddish

Note: If you want to try the glitch, DO NOT use one of the special characters in your name. If you do, you might end up facing a Trainer. You will not be able to get out of the match, and eventually one of their Pokemon will be a glitch that can freeze (and possibly erase) your game. Also, species from 3 goes with level from 2, species from 5 goes with level from 4, and species from 7 goes with level from 6.

Q: How about some examples?
A: Okay.
Test #1- Name: PIKACHU
Letters 2, 4, and 6 (levels):
2: I = 9 + 127 = 136
4: A = 1 + 127 = 128
6: H = 8 + 127 = 135
Letters 3, 5, and 7 (species):
3: K = Kingler on chart
5: C = Golbat on chart
7: U = Abra on chart
Combining the numbers, the name "PIKACHU" should yield L136 Kingler, L128 Golbat, and L135 Abra. Test it out; it does.

Test #2- Name: DxDyDzD
Letters 2, 4, 6 (levels):
x: 24 + 159 = 183
y: 25 + 159 = 184
z: 26 + 159 = 185
Letters 3, 5, and 7 (species):
D = Mewtwo on chart
Result: Mewtwo at levels 183-185. Name change, anyone?

Test #3- Name: BLUE
Result: Starmie, Abra, Golduck (????????)
The name "BLUE" only has 4 letters, the third of which is a U, yielding Abra (the L giving L139). But that doesn't explain Starmie and Golduck! Starmie corresponds to Y and Golduck to A, neither of which appear! The E in slot 4 means L132, which explains the L132 Missingno that I run into sometimes (slot 5 is probably an 80, which yields Missingno.). If you have any research that I could use in explaining this, e-mail me at [email protected].

UPDATE-10/29/01: I just picked up NO$GMB, and I have now solved this mystery. No further help needed.

Incidentally, you can Rare-Candy these L100+ monsters past 255 to get to L0, then to whatever you want. Or, you can just take them into battle, where ANY experience reverts them to L100.

Q: Where would I get that many Rare Candies?
A: I was hoping you would ask. That's the other part of the Missingno. glitch. You see, when I was referring to the 256 possibilities earlier on, it's stored as 8 bits (0 or 1 each). Whenever you run into Missingno., it takes the first bit of the "Copies of Sixth Item Held" byte (D329) and sets it to 1. In simpler terms, if you have 127 or fewer copies of your sixth item, you get an extra 128 copies (if you already have 128+, nothing happens). And since the most copies of an item you can naturally have is 99 = HEX 63 = BIN 01100011, the "127 or less" requirement will always happen unless you sharked items or have used the trick on that item before.

Q: How do I shark a name change? I want that "DxDyDzD" name without having to restart!
A: Well, if you're sharking, just go ahead and get the Pokemon that way. But if you want a name change, here it is:
Letter 1: 01**58D1
Letter 2: 01**59D1
Letter 3: 01**5AD1
Letter 4: 01**5BD1
Letter 5: 01**5CD1
Letter 6: 01**5DD1
Letter 7: 01**5ED1
End Name: 01505FD1

That ends this venture into the World of Glitches. If you are still here, consider yourself lucky to understand what I was saying.
I did not make this list! Credit goes to Jolt135.

Last edited:

umbros

Dark trainer.
Years
there are also other places to run into the level 100+ pokemon and the missingno. and 'M. for example, the shoreline to the east of the seafoam islands will do it, and there's one portion of ground in the unknown dungeon that does it, too.

omfx___harley

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/18
Years
?

i dunno if this works.....

my friend did the missingno glitch one time too many, and her red game freaked!

ok, she caught a pikachu and nicknamed it ASHACHU. (dunno why.) well, it was perfectly normal until it got to level 36. Then it had a hat. She paid no attention to this weird glitch for a while, and got used to it. Well, then "ASHACHU" started acting strangely. It attacked with strange attacks with even stranger animations (thunderbolt called itself "6kpo.tion.ba.ll and the animation was a dot spinning in circles.) and these had strange affects on her other pokemon, at least until she turned it off. (they were normal again thankfully) so everytime she fought with ASHACHU, she saved and turned it off. Then she caught 4 more and named them ASHACHU with the same effects. When the first one was KO'ed, it vanished. After a while, the remaining 2 were lv. infinity and one knew hyper beam (she didnt teach it) then one was KO'ed. Unusually, the last one was the original. Eventually, she was using a person to fight! It was an ASHACHU (actual species name!) named !KURbY?. When it was Ko'ed, there was a FUNERAL at Pokemon tower! She was SCARED!

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2007
Gold & crystal/silver i can't remember but here goes
Alekazam & Meganium can be breeded & make a special egg but its a certain combonation in male female... good luck on that one lol (alekazam female, meganium male) Have a good time!

shadow_deoxys

International Lairon Tamer
Years
The Awesome Pokemon Glitch In G/S

i discovered a new area in gold because i used a walk through walls, and walked through the pokemon center pc, and all my pokemon turned into EGG, which hatched into omanyte, then i got them all back

what do u think? xd

Jim

Dinner
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 25, 2011
there are also other places to run into the level 100+ pokemon and the missingno. and 'M. for example, the shoreline to the east of the seafoam islands will do it, and there's one portion of ground in the unknown dungeon that does it, too.

On Bue or Red, can't remember, after I ahdmessed around with Missingo. I went to victoy road an fun an Un-naturaly leveled Golbat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back