• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Horror Anime

Years
In my experience the horror genre is something that anime, and to a slightly lesser extent manga, really struggle with. For a horror series to actually be scary it needs to be subtle with how it manages it's tone and storytelling, not something I really associate with anime. Of course some people will be scared when it comes to the blood and guts horror that anime throws up occasionally but yeah, that's not for me.

Years
I enjoy the horror and thriller genres a lot and need to explore them more in anime. Higurashi is my favourite anime though and that's pretty firmly a horror, although there's other genres mixed in as their often is.

I have to say though that horror in anime has much the same problem as horror in other mediums in that too many horror series conflate gross with scary. I'm not even the type to be bothered by gore but I find it annoying when a series considers spraying guts everywhere in and of itself scary. If that's the result it's fine, but it's the suspense and tension that creates good horror not the end result.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 18, 2021
I enjoy watching horror anime. I have watched Castlevania, Another and Ghost Hunt.

Back