• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] Advent Calendar! [Challenge's Christmas Event 2018]

Years
Festive Christmas Event 2018
Welcome weary traveller and take place by a hearth! You must be tired, but before you fall asleep, there is a package for you. From whom you ask? Well, why don't you look in it by yourself?

What is that? A letter and an advent calendar? Don't forget to open only one window at the time.

Anyway, it's time to get festive!

The Challenge

In this challenge, you'll be given your own advent calendar. At the start of the game and then after each Gym, you can open one or more windows. Each window contains new rule that you have to play with. But here's the twist. There aren't only negative rules. You can also get positive rule - even new Pokémon to your game.

And another thing you should know. There is a Christmas Tree down below. But it's bare right now. At the start of the game and after each Gym, you can put one Pokémon on it. Let's make it the best Christmas Tree on PC!

Rules for the Christmas dinner

To make this event as best as possible for everyone, here's few rules:
  • This challenge can be completed on any main series Pokemon game. Additionally, any ROM hack or fan game completed through 8 gym badges and an elite four counts as well.
  • It will be active from 24. 12. 2018 to 24. 1. 2019
  • Pokemon Amie and Pokemon Refresh are banned.
  • The New Experience Share is allowed for pure grinding. It should be turned off when progressing the story or adventuring, however.
  • Nuzlocke rules are not in place.
  • The letter is from Wulfric - Santa Claus of Kalos region.
  • You may trade or hack Pokemon to evolve them. Trade-with-item evolutions must be completed only after said item is acquired. Trading to another game to allow a location based evolution to occur is also allowed after the Pokemon has reached level 29.
  • You may hack/trade in up to 2 evolution items, one each after the 4th and 6th gyms, provided the item being hacked in is unobtainable prior to that point in the game. Players of games occurring in the Alola region may hack/trade in up to 2 of any evolution item at any point after the Trial at Wela Volcano. This is because all evolution items are technically obtainable at this point, but farming Pelago is a pain in the arse.
  • All other trading is banned, except with other participants.
  • The challenge is complete once you beat the region's Elite Four and the credits fully roll. Yes that means beating AZ or Brendan or running from Koko if that's the type of thing your game makes you do. You may opt to continue your challenge past this point, however. In this case, treat defeating the champion as an additional badge.
  • After signing up or obtaining a badge, please wait until you are told what your new rule is before proceeding.
  • In the case of a contradiction between the rules here and the rules of a specific rule, the text of the rule prevails unless noted otherwise.
  • All rules stack. In the case of a direct contradiction, either myself or ddrox will settle the contradiction.
  • Players of games in the Alola region will not face gyms. Instead, they get new rule after every Grand Trial, as well as after four specific Trials: the Trial of Verdant Cavern, the Trial of Wela Volcano Park, the Trial of the Abandoned Supermarket, and the Trial of Vast Poni Canyon.

120.png

Signup

What You Are Called:
What game are you playing:
Who wrote the letter?
What Pokémon will you put on the Christmas Tree (and where, what form ...)?
How many windows would you like to open at the start?

Challengers

Champions

Credits

Huge thanks to:
ddrox for making most of the main post
Lycantrophy for that awesome css that I spent hours editing so no one will know it's his

Last edited:
Years
This is what the Advent Calendar looks like:

120px-479Rotom-Pok%C3%A9dex.png

Click on the window to view the rule!

[a id]testing[/a id]

delibird.gif
The rule

-
-
-
-
-
-
This is the description of the rule
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:

Owl

Newbie ROM hacker
Years
  • Age 22
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 22, 2021
What You Are Called: Owl
What game are you playing: Pokemon Y
Who wrote the letter?: Wulfric
What Pokémon will you put on the Christmas Tree: Glaceon, dangling from the bottom like an icicle

Years
What Pokémon will you put on the Christmas Tree: Glaceon, dangling from the bottom like an icicle

Hi, I'll add you in few hours. I've just only finished up the css code for the Advent Calendar and want to spend some time with my family. In the meantime, how many windows would you like to open at the start of your journey? Check the post above to see how the Advent Calendar looks.

Owl

Newbie ROM hacker
Years
  • Age 22
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 22, 2021
Hi, I'll add you in few hours. I've just only finished up the css code for the Advent Calendar and want to spend some time with my family. In the meantime, how many windows would you like to open at the start of your journey? Check the post above to see how the Advent Calendar looks.

Hey, make sure you do that, family comes first! :chu:
And if there are nine windows like that calendar, then I'll open one at the beginning of my journey to make sure there's one for every gym, thank you! <3

Years
I am prepared and thoroughly stoked to get utterly screwed over again by the challenge rules.

What are you called: Radboy
What game are you playing: White 2
Who wrote the letter: Wulfric
What Pokemon will you put on the Christmas Tree: Mantyke, somewhere near the top
I'll open one window of the advent calendar to begin

Years
Okay, I hope you'll enjoy the event. Here's your Calendar:

[a id]Owl1[/a id]

stantler.gif
Christmas Colours!

-
-
-
-
-
-
Add a Pokemon considered Red or Green by the Pokedex to your team as soon as possible, and keep them there for the rest of the run. If you already have a full team when this rule is added, but no members are Red or Green, replace any one of them. If you have a full party that already includes a Red or Green Pokemon, one must remain in your party for the remainder of the run.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I am prepared and thoroughly stoked to get utterly screwed over again by the challenge rules.

What are you called: Radboy
What game are you playing: White 2
Who wrote the letter: Wulfric
What Pokemon will you put on the Christmas Tree: Mantyke, somewhere near the top
I'll open one window of the advent calendar to begin
You don't have to worry about Nuzlocke this time. Have fun:

[a id]Rad1[/a id]

delibird.gif
The best gift in the world

-
-
-
-
-
-
Pick one thing you got this year for Christmas and use Pokémon based on that gift (Examples: smartphone=Rotom, dumbbells=Machamp, ...). If you didn't get anything suitable for this rule this year, pick one thing you got last year.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:
Years
Alright, finished the first part.

Part One: Checkmate
Spoiler:

Team so Far:
Spoiler:

Man, this is a... short update.
Anyways, I'll open just one door again.

Years
Man, this is a... short update.
Anyways, I'll open just one door again.
I think it's okay to use Pokémon for that rule latter. Anyway...

[a id]Rad1[/a id]

delibird.gif
The best gift in the world

-
-
-
-
-
-
Pick one thing you got this year for Christmas and use Pokémon based on that gift (Examples: smartphone=Rotom, dumbbells=Machamp, ...). If you didn't get anything suitable for this rule this year, pick one thing you got last year.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Rad2[/a id]

cleffa.gif
Kids everywhere

-
-
-
-
-
-
Use Pokémon that has baby form on your team. This Pokémon must stay on your team for the rest of the game. Also if you can, you have to raise that Pokémon from the baby form.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Years

Advent Calendar in Pokémon Sapphire

mudkip.png
surskit.png

PART 1

Okay, I decided to start my own run. I let RNG decide my rules and I opened 1st window. Here it is:

[a id]Janp1[/a id]

blissey.gif
A New Resolution

-
-
-
-
-
-
Pick a Pokémon you've NEVER used before and add it to your team! If none exist in your game, be very sad.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Let's talk about the rule. It's 1st New Year rule here and it forces me to use Pokémon I've never used before. And finding Pokémon that would fit that criteria is actually the biggest challenge. Why? Because I've replayed Hoenn games so many times that I literally used every single Pokémon available before 1st Gym. All except one. One little bug that hid from me with its 1 % encounter rate forever- Surskit.
So I started new game, picked starter at random - Mudkip and set out to the Route 102, where I searched for about 15 minutes. Then I realized Surskit is only on the Route 103. So after another 15 minutes I finally found one! Welcome on the team, 2019.
I grinded her up to level 10 and proceeded to Rustboro City and easily beat Roxanne with my two Water-Types Pokémon. And with that I saved. I'll open one window this time. I'll roll my new rule when I get back to the game.

Team

mudkip.png

Oldie, Quiet Male Mudkip
lvl 14, Torrent
- Tackle
- Growl
- Mud-Slap
- Water Gun

surskit.png

2019, Mild Female Surskit
lvl 14, Swift Swim
- Bubble
- Quick Attack
- Sweet Scent​

Years

marshtomp.png
masquerain.png
aron.png

PART 2

Here we go again:

[a id]Janp1[/a id]

blissey.gif
A New Resolution

-
-
-
-
-
-
Pick a Pokémon you've NEVER used before and add it to your team! If none exist in your game, be very sad.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp2[/a id]

bounsweet.gif
Sweet Cookies

-
-
-
-
-
-
Christmas is time of the food. From now on all of your Pokémon must hold a berry. If you run out of berries, your Pokémon can't hold any item for the rest of the run.-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp3[/a id]

aron.gif
Late gift

-
-
-
-
-
-
Ask another PC user for 1 non-legendary Pokémon available in your game. You have to use it for the rest of the run.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

You could notice that there are 2 more windows open. I rolled my rule for the 2nd Gym - Sweet Cookies and quickly beat Brawly. That part is really short and easy, especially with one Flying-Type Pokémon (even without any Flying-Type moves).
So I rolled another rule for another segment. This time much better rule - Late gift. I asked for new team member on discord and got this:
gzmWqyB.png
I haven't used Aron in a while and it's fine Pokémon to have. I would love that Mawile though. Haven't use it yet. Anyway, Aron is great Pokémon to have against Wattson. Especially with Marshtomp.
So yeah, Wattson was easy. ReadBlade fainted to his Magneton after soloing rest of his team, but Oldie took care of it.

I think I'll open 1 window again this time. Let's see what it contains...

Team

marshtomp.png

Oldie, Quiet Male Marshtomp @Oran Berry
lvl 24, Torrent
- Water Gun
- Bide
- Mud Shot
- Tackle

masquerain.png

2019, Mild Female Masquerain @Cheri Berry
lvl 23, Intimidate
- Bubble
- Quick Attack
- Sweet Scent
- Water Sport

aron.png

ReadBlade, Bashful Male Aron @Pecha Berry
lvl 23, Sturdy
- Metal Claw
- Iron Defense
- Mud-Slap
- Headbutt​

Years

marshtomp.png
masquerain.png
lairon.png
wobbuffet.png
absol.png

PART 3

Advent Calender. This time, there are more windows open.

[a id]Janp1[/a id]

blissey.gif
A New Resolution

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp2[/a id]

bounsweet.gif
Sweet Cookies

-
-
-
-
-
-
Christmas is time of the food. From now on all of your Pokémon must hold a berry. If you run out of berries, your Pokémon can't hold any item for the rest of the run.-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp3[/a id]

aron.gif
Late gift

-
-
-
-
-
-
Ask another PC user for 1 non-legendary Pokémon available in your game. You have to use it for the rest of the run.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp4[/a id]

wynaut.gif
Kids everywhere

-
-
-
-
-
-
Use Pokémon that has baby form on your team. This Pokémon must stay on your team for the rest of the game. Also if you can, you have to raise that Pokémon from the baby form.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp5[/a id]

bulbasaur.gif
Another great gift

-
-
-
-
-
-
For the next Gym, you can only use Pokémon obtained either as in-game gift or in in-game trade.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp6[/a id]

zangoose.gif
White Christmas

-
-
-
-
-
-
Add a Pokémon considered White by the Pokédex to your team as soon as possible, and keep them there for the rest of the run. If you already have a full team when this rule is added, but no members are White, replace any one of them. If you have a full party that already includes a White Pokémon, one must remain in your party for the remainder of the run.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I was extremely happy with the next roll - Kids everywhere. I could use Azumarill, but I've used it so many times last year and the only other Pokémon with baby form was Wobbuffet. Who could say no to that great decoy? And so I continued my journey up to the Lavaridge Town, where I picked Egg with Wynaut... And the grind began. I toured around Lavaridge until the Egg hatched and then I trained Wynaut, named Nou until it evolved and even more. And it was worth it. Flannery wasn't prepared for her own heat.
With another Badge comes another roll - Another great gift. So I can only use Oldie and Nou for Norman. And once again it came on the Nou to save the day.
Norman's out and there is another roll - White Christmas. There aren't that many white Pokémon in Sapphire and so I decided to go with Absol over Ralts line, as it's another line that I've used a lot and I would have to grind it up.
Winona was kinda hard. Her Pelipper was especially annoying. So once again I had to use Nou. But actually lost on my 1st try, because her Altaria set Dragon Dance. But she had no chance against me in the rematch.
And so another part completed. I've already rolled my next rule, but it will stay as secret for now. Stay tuned for the next part!

Team

marshtomp.png

Oldie, Quiet Male Marshtomp @Rawst Berry
lvl 33, Torrent
- Surf
- Take Down
- Mud Shot
- Mud Sport

masquerain.png

2019, Mild Female Masquerain @Rawst Berry
lvl 33, Intimidate
- Bubble
- Quick Attack
- Sweet Scent
- Gust

lairon.png

ReadBlade, Bashful Male Lairon @Pecha Berry
lvl 35, Sturdy
- Iron Tail
- Rock Smash
- Mud-Slap
- Take Down

wobbuffet.png

Nou, Naive Male Wobbuffet @Pecha Berry
lvl 33, Shadow Tag
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Counter

absol.png

Ddrox, Sassy Male Absol @Pecha Berry
lvl 34, Pressure
- Bite
- Sword Dance
- Quick Attack
- Double Team​

Years

plusle.png
walrein.png
aggron.png
grumpig.png
absol.png
spinda.png

FINAL PART

Last windows are open now:

[a id]Janp1a[/a id]

blissey.gif
A New Resolution

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp2a[/a id]

bounsweet.gif
Sweet Cookies

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp3a[/a id]

aron.gif
Late gift

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp4a[/a id]

wynaut.gif
Kids everywhere

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp5a[/a id]

bulbasaur.gif
Another great gift

-
-
-
-
-
-
For the next Gym, you can only use Pokémon obtained either as in-game gift or in in-game trade.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp6a[/a id]

zangoose.gif
White Christmas

-
-
-
-
-
-
Add a Pokémon considered White by the Pokédex to your team as soon as possible, and keep them there for the rest of the run. If you already have a full team when this rule is added, but no members are White, replace any one of them. If you have a full party that already includes a White Pokémon, one must remain in your party for the remainder of the run.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp7a[/a id]

glalie.gif
Extreme Blizzard

-
-
-
-
-
-
Oh no! Pokémon in your 3rd party slot freezed! You have to put it in the box for the rest of the run.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp8a[/a id]

minun.gif
I got this plushie

-
-
-
-
-
-
Pick Pokémon that you would like to have plushie version of and put it on your team.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp9a[/a id]

spheal.gif
It's too damn cold out!

-
-
-
-
-
-
Your Water-Types are all starting to freeze up! Any Water-Type on your team who isn't an Ice-Type must be removed from it, and replaced with an Ice-Type of your choice if one is available. HM slaves are unaffected.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[a id]Janp10a[/a id]

muk-alola.gif
Fireworks!

-
-
-
-
-
-
All Pokémon on your team must belong to different Color Group.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Well, final part was scary. And I mean Mansion level scary. Right from the start, Oldie froze and I had to put it in the PC. I decided to return to Weather Institute and put Castform instead of him on team. It became great duo together with Nou and I pretty much solo'd whole Team Aqua hideout just with them.
Mossdeep Gym was pretty hard. Solrock kept using Sunny Day and negated my strategy with Heatwer and her Rain Dance. I somehow won by constantly healing Nou and bouncing all the attacks back on twins.
Now it's time to open 2 windows. 1st new rule is about adding Pokémon that I would like plushie of. It's pretty much free pick there, but I would like to have Plusle and Minun's plushies. So I caught Plush, my own Plusle. It was been while since I've used one. Another rule is scary once again. 2019 froze and it was replaced with Walrein named Apocalypse. That's great start of the year. Really great...
But Plush proved to be great addition to my team. He acted as counter to Water-Types that I couldn't effectively beat to this point. And guess who use Water-Types at this point of the game? That's right, Wallace. And he's down!
Last roll is here! Mansion vibes again! Fireworks force me to switch Nou :( and Heatwer. So who I'll replace them with? I went with another fat Pokémon - Grumpig. And one rabbit, who drunk to much eggnog - Spinda!
This part isn't that interesting. I grinded to Steven's levels and went to the league. Also one funny part - if you look at my movesets, you'll notice they aren't really optimized. Spoiler alert for new rule, btw. For some reason I though I have a rule that bans me from using TMs and healing items. So I went through the whole E4 with only using berries. That's also reason why I have Rest and Status moves on my Pokémon. Yeah it was grind, avoiding fainting and unnecessary damage, but I was able to pretty much solo Steven with Apocalypse and Work, with the aide from Plush and Fire.
And with that, I beat the game. Here's Hall of Fame:
FUESwET.png

Team

plusle.png

Plush, Impish Male Plusle @Pecha Berry
lvl 57, Plus
- Spark
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder
- Charge

walrein.png

Apocalypse, Hasty Male Walrein @Pecha Berry