Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

Old 1 Week Ago (11:33 AM).

Nature: Hardy
    Crabrawler line. What the psyduck is that thing, it makes me super uncomfortable.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (8:01 PM).
    Knight In Battle Scarred Armour

Nature: Quiet
      Electrode. Voltorb is fine, but Electrode is honestly the worst. Why does Voltorb even need an evolution? It's a bomb. That's it. Electrode doesn't improve on Voltorb in any way besides a slight stat boost, so why does it need to exist?!
      "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38

IT'S HAMMER TIME!
      Old 1 Week Ago (8:21 PM).

Nature: Careful
        Ultra Beasts. I honestly just don't like the concept. Are they legendaries, are they not? If they're not Pokemon why are we allowed to catch them. Gen 7 in general had too many one offs as is...
        Old 1 Week Ago (9:33 AM).
        • Silver Tier

Quote:
        Originally Posted by colours View Post
        I'm actually kind of interested, myself. I don't know if Clefairy is really as memorable a Pokemon as Pikachu, but I think a good reason why Pikachu is so memorable is in part due to the anime, so in a sense if Clefairy played the same role, I don't think much would change? That's just me though. Maybe some people wou;d've been turned off by it because it's pink and feminine-looking.

honestly i think this is kind of discussion-worthy for a seperate thread :o
        Like "If Pikachu hadn't been the mascot" or "If Clefairy had been the mascot" or something like that?
        Old 1 Week Ago (10:55 AM).
        skylighted
        minds
        • Platinum Tier

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Esper View Post
        Like "If Pikachu hadn't been the mascot" or "If Clefairy had been the mascot" or something like that?
        yep. ^_^

Hard wind blows as the night is born
        And the dark feels so safe
        My body yearns for that need to start
        Cause it's too hard to wait
        We're going out tonight with something to prove
        Take to the streets and let our demons loose
        Put your hands up
        Old 1 Week Ago (8:45 PM).
        Agent of Chaos

Nature: Calm
          Ah what a question to answer.
          Out of all the pokemon id get rid of umbreon.
          It's bulkiness and moveset normally holding moonlight brings back so many bad memories.
          Do i hate the design! No
          Do I hate using him! No
          But fighting him has got to be one of the most infuriating things for me.
          Alright that's all
          You are alone, child. There is only darkness for you, and only death for your people. These ancients are just the beginning. I will command a great and terrible army, and we will sail to a billion worlds. We will sail until every light has been extinguished. You are strong, child, but I am beyond strength. I am the end, and I have come for you
          -The Lich
          Old 1 Week Ago (12:42 AM).
          Charity?...

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
            Eh, why not. I'll indulge and give you a little context.

For one, its design. I absolutely despise furry bait Pokemon. I find it extremely offensive, and creepy, and just plain disgusting. It's not just Lucario - I don't like Zoroark, or Lycanroc-Midnight, or a few others I could name - but that one is the major offender. Why? Because they keep shoving it in my face.

Seriously, Lucario is worse than Charizard for this. It just...persists. It got a movie all to itself - and that movie was diabolical, by the way - and the number of times its appeared in the anime in a significant role is disgusting. Maylene's whole thing with Lucario. Riley with his Lucario. Ash losing the Unova League to Cameron...with a Lucario. The whole Mega Lucario mini-arc with Korrina. Now it's in the newest movie too, for no good reason. It just won't go away, and there is no reason for it to be there.

It also replaced Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros. Brawl with practically the same moveset. That annoyed me immensely.

This "Aura" nonsense as well...I mean, come on! It's not even a proper concept; it's just a thing unique to Lucario, to give it bull**** Force powers, making it as OP in the anime universe as it is in the game universe. Yes, I know a lot of Pokemon can use Aura Sphere. But other Pokemon don't conjure up ****ing blue-white lightsaber bone clubs/staffs out of nowhere.

And - this is what REALLY annoys me - it's absurdly useful. Even before the Mega evo, it tore apart the 4th Gen metagame. Steel/Fighting is (or was; I don't keep up with it any more) an amazing type combo, and it just...wrecked. It was hard to turn around without seeing a Lucario on a competitive team in some role back then, and I hated it. On a minor note, I generally dislike Fighting types - in fact, I can't think of a single one I like the design of - so it's got that working against it too.

So yeah, Lucario is just...the worst. Gen IV is my favourite gen, but it spawned the worst Pokemon, and if I could I'd erase it from existence. Basically.
            I don't even remember what Pokemon I wanted deleted anymore. Friggin delete Lucario and give this man a cookie.

In all reality, Phione.

Old 1 Week Ago (1:29 AM).
            the pretender
            • Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
            I would delete Voltorb so quickly if I was able to. I'm really not keen on its design - it tries to look threatening but it's just a Pokeball attempting to look stern. I realise that pokemon like Magnemite aren't exactly creative either but I feel like their designs look better by far. Also Voltorb explodes all the time which is the worst :( I can't think of a Pokemon I want to get rid of more.
            Old 6 Days Ago (12:52 PM).
            I'm kewl

Nature: Gentle
              I would want to get rid of genesect.
              Old 6 Days Ago (12:53 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Forever View Post
                Barbaracle. It's disgusting, gross. Just... awful. I don't like it at all lmao. Binacle too. Well if I get rid of Binacle it should eliminate its evolution - so yea. Let's get rid of this ugly embarrassment to Pokemon!

Also a side note: How can people hate Garbodor when they see this thing??
                Will you still laugh when Barbaracle uses Shell Smash
                Old 6 Days Ago (9:25 PM).

Nature: Jolly
                  Meowth is the most annoying thing on two legs. But I do love cats.
                  Old 4 Days Ago (12:16 PM).
                  • Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                  Lowkey offended by some of these responses. Poor Meowth. :'(

I thought I was going to pick Barbaracle when I clicked this thread, but as I read through the previous replies, I realised I could fix Rhydon by deleting Rhyperior from existence soo.. Rhyperior. As much as I think Barbaracle is the worst pokemon overall, at least it doesn't taint any previously existing evolution lines with its terribleness. Plus it would still leave the almost as bad Binacle behind, only making it worse because it would become one of those annoying only stage basics that should obviously evolve.

As one person has previously posted though, I would take the option to delete most of Gen V if I had the choice.
                  Old 4 Days Ago (1:09 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Eruption View Post
                    Lowkey offended by some of these responses. Poor Meowth. :'(

I thought I was going to pick Barbaracle when I clicked this thread, but as I read through the previous replies, I realised I could fix Rhydon by deleting Rhyperior from existence soo.. Rhyperior. As much as I think Barbaracle is the worst pokemon overall, at least it doesn't taint any previously existing evolution lines with its terribleness. Plus it would still leave the almost as bad Binacle behind, only making it worse because it would become one of those annoying only stage basics that should obviously evolve.

As one person has previously posted though, I would take the option to delete most of Gen V if I had the choice.
                    Dragonite looks nothing like Dragonair
                    Milotic looks nothing like Feebas
                    Scizor looks nothing like Scyther
                    Camerupt looks nothing like Numel

But you guys keep hitting my Rhyperior
                    Old 4 Days Ago (1:50 PM).
                    • Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by KorpiklaaniVodka v2.0 View Post
                    Dragonite looks nothing like Dragonair
                    Milotic looks nothing like Feebas
                    Scizor looks nothing like Scyther
                    Camerupt looks nothing like Numel

But you guys keep hitting my Rhyperior -_-
                    For me, my gripe with Rhyperior isn't to do with it looking dissimilar to its previous stages, that I consider to be a minor issue. In fact, it resembles Rhydon in many ways. I think the Metal Coat for Scizor and the Protector for Rhyperior actually justify the dramatic shifts in design pretty well.

For me there's two issues with Rhyperior (and many similar evolutions introduced in Gen IV) and that is A) it looks really ugly and B) it's an evolution of a pokemon that already looked like its final stage. From your stated examples, none of them are guilty of A and only Scizor is guilty of B.

It's a shame the designers at Game Freak couldn't see into the future and predict mega evolutions, if they could then Rhyperior could simply be 'Mega Rhydon' and I think I could stomach that a lot easier. Although, even then I would prefer a better design.

There are a lot of similar offenders to Rhyperior - Electivire, Magmortar & Politoed for example. To be honest, the first two are worse designs than Rhyperior and the latter is more pointless because obviously Poliwhirl exists, so in some ways Rhyperior isn't so bad. I think it's just because I actually like Rhydon that seals the deal for Rhyperior. As much as I despise baby pokemon, perhaps one of those to evolve into Rhyhorn would have been a better idea.

To conclude this incessant rambling, I don't necessarily hate Rhyperior and it's probably not even in my 100 least favourite pokemon, but for me it was a really unnecessary and poor addition to the Rhydon evolution line which had previously (and the first two stages still are) been one of my favourites. Obviously I understand some people love Rhyperior though, and of course that's completely fine.
                    Old 4 Days Ago (3:02 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Eruption View Post
                      For me, my gripe with Rhyperior isn't to do with it looking dissimilar to its previous stages, that I consider to be a minor issue. In fact, it resembles Rhydon in many ways. I think the Metal Coat for Scizor and the Protector for Rhyperior actually justify the dramatic shifts in design pretty well.

For me there's two issues with Rhyperior (and many similar evolutions introduced in Gen IV) and that is A) it looks really ugly and B) it's an evolution of a pokemon that already looked like its final stage. From your stated examples, none of them are guilty of A and only Scizor is guilty of B.

It's a shame the designers at Game Freak couldn't see into the future and predict mega evolutions, if they could then Rhyperior could simply be 'Mega Rhydon' and I think I could stomach that a lot easier. Although, even then I would prefer a better design.

There are a lot of similar offenders to Rhyperior - Electivire, Magmortar & Politoed for example. To be honest, the first two are worse designs than Rhyperior and the latter is more pointless because obviously Poliwhirl exists, so in some ways Rhyperior isn't so bad. I think it's just because I actually like Rhydon that seals the deal for Rhyperior. As much as I despise baby pokemon, perhaps one of those to evolve into Rhyhorn would have been a better idea.

To conclude this incessant rambling, I don't necessarily hate Rhyperior and it's probably not even in my 100 least favourite pokemon, but for me it was a really unnecessary and poor addition to the Rhydon evolution line which had previously (and the first two stages still are) been one of my favourites. Obviously I understand some people love Rhyperior though, and of course that's completely fine.
                      I understand everyone has their own opinions, but I can't see why would you hate Rhyperior but not Dragonite too.

Does Rhyperior have a different skin color compared to Rhyhorn and Rhydon? Check.
                      Does Dragonite have a different skin color compared to Dratini and Dragonair? Check.

Does Rhyperior look "fat"? Check (although to me, it doesn't really...)
                      Does Dragonite look "fat"? Obviously.

Does Rhyperior seem like it has no connection to its preevos? Check.
                      Does Dragonite seem like it has no connection to its preevos? Check.

The latter is opinion-based though, and it's not my own opinion, but rather stuff I read on forums and GameFAQs.

Milotic can also be used in place of Dragonite. And by the way, Palmer from Gen4 is really cool for this - he uses 3 Pokemon that look different to their pre-evos. The exact 3 Pokemon we're talking about.

Another cool thing about Rhyperior is that it could be one of the most practical Pokemon if they were real. It could do all your housework, you could go hiking with it, you could explore new places with it... it could even be a really good athlete. Could be a defensive behemoth in soccer or American football or hockey or rugby, or be really good at weightlifting.

And Milotic would synergize really well with Rhyperior, too.
                      Quick Reply

Sponsored Links