Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Ad Content

#26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old February 1st, 2017 (7:58 PM).
see you good kids on the other side

Nature: Adamant
    Ahh that would be super helpful! Has she kind of given you an estimate of when she'd get that done for you?
      #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old February 2nd, 2017 (12:06 PM).
    PC's jacksepticeye enthusiast

Nature: Gentle
    she hasn't but she said she will try to get it done sometime this month.
      #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old February 2nd, 2017 (11:20 PM). Edited February 3rd, 2017 by SirBoglor.
    It's over, isn't it?

Nature: Serious
    Hiya Skylar. just thought that I'd drop by and give my insight on stuff.

I have plenty of experience with mental health (and lack thereof) so I think that I'll try to be a little helpful for your sake.

I actually think that this animal shelter proposition could be healthier for you than you think. One of my best friends has had severe social anxiety for a long time. But about five months ago, she started a job, and she has become so much stronger because of it. It makes me very happy to see her improve so much. I'm hoping that you find a similar experience.

I went through a bout of depression in the past, so I can definitely provide some insight there. I don't know the exact implications of your situation, but I can definitely provide my support in any way possible.
      #29   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old February 3rd, 2017 (1:04 PM).

you're so sweet thank you ;w; i'm going to see if i can drop off my application off sometime this weekend or next week since me and my mom have plans this weekend anyways.
      #30   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old March 15th, 2017 (9:59 AM).

hello, it's been a while! about a month to be exact. so i never entered in my application for the animal shelter, but i do have other news, good news. my mom got me a phone, a cheap flip phone but its better than nothing. i saw my VR on Monday. A VR is basically a program where they help you find jobs or help you figure out what you want to do with your life, if you have a disability or something that holds you back significantly. since i have depression and social anxiety/general anxiety, and these tend to hold me back significantly from doing what i want to do in my life, i work with a VR, vocational rehab services. i have probably explained this before but wanted to explain it again for any new viewers.

anyways i went to my VR on monday, and she asked me what i wanted to do. after some thought, and some..reluctance, i have decided that i want to go to college, or at least figure out what i want to do in college. i feel like if i go to college and get a degree and stuff, yadda yadda, i'll have a better grip on my life and myself an stuff like that. so i am doing an intake interview sometime next week with someone, so they can figure out things about me and write down stuff about me and have general info about me, because in april i will be taking a professional quiz type thing to help me figure out what i want to do in college, or at least help narrow it down significantly. so.. yeah.

college seems really scary to me, especially very big colleges with big classrooms and campuses with lots and lots of people. so if i do end up going to college, i want to go to a small college with not that many people, or at least a college where they have some sort of program where you can have smaller classrooms and smaller environments, 1 on 1 type learning, stuff like that. but i'd have to look into that stuff and yeah.

just wanted to update you guys on whats happening. if you guys have any questions or advice for me feel free to leave it here.
      #31   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old March 22nd, 2017 (7:15 PM).

sorry for the double post, but i took the intake interview today! it went well. they asked me a bunch of questions about myself such as my age, my birthday, what schools i went to, have i ever been suspended, what made me have depression, general stuff about my depression, stuff like that. i actually enjoyed doing it though surprisingly. next month on the 11th i have the quiz i have to take to narrow down my choices for what i want to do in college.
      #32   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old March 27th, 2017 (8:17 PM).
    It's over, isn't it?

Hey! I'm glad that things are moving along smoothly for you. In regards to college, I'm glad that you're going and trying to figure out what you want. It seems that I'm actually one step ahead of you right now. I'm already here in college, trying to figure things out. This is good, since I can tell you a few things that may be helpful.

First of all, the picture that you paint in regards to small and large colleges isn't necessarily accurate. While you have less people to worry about in a smaller one, you also lose the comfort of being anonymous. In a smaller college, you have people noticing/approaching you very often which can be tiring for anyone with social anxiety. But in a larger one, nobody really cares. They make connections if you do, but otherwise nobody bothers you. As far as the classroom goes, you may not like large ones if you're claustrophobic or your social anxiety is in a bad state. The small ones force people onto you, though. If that makes sense. Hopefully, you'll pick the size that is the least stressful for your sake!

In regards to your career decision, just...don't expect it to happen overnight okay? It may bother you that you can't decide, or you keep on changing your mind, but don't let it get to you okay? You can't force these things, so just go with the flow when you get to college. You'll find your calling with time.

Last but not least, don't be afraid to seek counseling if your depression starts to run things too much. Feeling a lack of motivation, skipping class to sleep in, lack of eating. Things like this are signs that you may not be in control. For my sake, please seek help if this happens. Counseling is the best way to keep your mind in a happy state.

I hope that your quiz helps you figure things out a little bit. Be sure to let me know how it goes!
      #33   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old March 27th, 2017 (9:15 PM).

thank you, boglor. you're such a sweetie. <3

i might look for a bigger college since the points you made were valid o-o there's a community college i think not too far from me, and it's not too big but not too small, about medium size i think. my mom also works there, so if i were to go in the fall, me and my mom could just drive there at the same time and it'd save gas and money so..yeah ;w;

about my depression, i will try my best to seek a counselor. i tend to not trust them too much though if they don't have any good experience with it or aren't exactly good in that field. when i went to public school for a year and a half in high school (then switched to an alternative private school), my counselor had no idea what to do with me and couldn't exactly help me. my teachers weren't very understanding about it, most of them. only 3 of them were, and i greatly appreciated them. if i didn't get suspended from my public school and then transferred to the private school i went to and graduated from, i'm not sure where i would be now. probably 10x worse.

anyways yeah. thank you for your advice hun<3
      #34   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old March 27th, 2017 (9:31 PM).
    It's over, isn't it?

Generally, colleges tend to have counselors that know what they're doing. Usually they'll try to find a counselor that can relate to you, and can get along. It was a nice contrast from the 100% not helpful counselors from my hometown. Hopefully, you'll have a much better experience there!
      #35   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old May 13th, 2017 (11:55 AM).

so erm. i have an appointment with my VR, Vocational rehab counselor on the 31st. we plan to discuss further plans and my results on the assessment i took then. i might ask about taking the sats or whatever they're called that you have to take to get into college.
      #36   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old May 15th, 2017 (7:39 PM).
    i don't know where

Nature: Lax
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoshiko View Post
    so erm. i have an appointment with my VR, Vocational rehab counselor on the 31st. we plan to discuss further plans and my results on the assessment i took then. i might ask about taking the sats or whatever they're called that you have to take to get into college.
    Im glad your goals are moving along- mine haven't budged, unfortunately.

I would ask to make sure whatever college you plan on applying to requires the SAT. Long standardized tests like that are not fun to take at all.
      #37   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old May 15th, 2017 (8:24 PM).

alright. don't worry, i will ask. i hate stupid standardized testing..in my opinion i think it's bull bc not everyone does well with tests and minds work in different ways, not the same way for everyone. but anyways thats another subject for a diff time

i'm sorry your goals aren't going well.. :c i hope that they start to move forward for you eventually.
      #38   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old May 22nd, 2017 (3:29 AM). Edited May 27th, 2017 by Klippy.
    Banned

Nature: Modest
      I set a goal to visit Brazil this summer. I will spend only 10 days there and have made a huge list of place to see:Chapada Diamantina, Corcovado, Jericoacoara, Ouro Preto and to see Amazon River. I hope I'll have time to visit all these sights.
        #39   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old May 22nd, 2017 (1:04 PM).

Ah that's cool, Sunset! I hope you meet your goal. Can I ask why you posted in my thread though for your goal? ^^;
        #40   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old June 18th, 2017 (9:25 PM).

hello friends! good news! tomorrow, on the 20th, i have an appointment with university of south alabama. my mom and i asked about getting in there, and they mentioned a program that would be good for people like me. (people of somewhat lower intelligence, or have problems that significantly hinder them in life) it'd be a program that would be sort of like the private school i graduated from. it'd be a program that offers smaller classes, less students, and would lessen my workload slightly so i don't get overwhelmed.

it'd help immensely if i got into that program. i think tomorrow i learn if i get in or not. i'm excited, but also extremely nervous. i hope i get into the program because if i don't then i would be forced to work, and working is the last thing i want to do since i know if i do i would be stuck with a job i do not want. anyways, uh. if i do get into the program it'd get things running more smoothly and whatnot. i don't know what i would pick for my major but i think i'd start out with an easy, sort of vague major, like general studies or liberal arts. something like that, that isn't too specific, and would at least ease me into college. yeah. my mom is coming with me to the appointment tomorrow of course. there will be interpreters and everything. my mom said there will be a lot of people there, or at least for me personally, which makes me even more nervous but.

i'll let you guys know how it goes. i hope it goes well. wish me luck!
        #41   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old June 19th, 2017 (4:37 AM).

Most colleges/universities also let you iirc go in as an "undeclared major". But if you don't really know what you want to get into, then starting as a liberal arts or general humanities major like you said is probably a good way to go. Should be able to take a wide variety of courses that way and maybe you'll find something that really piques your interest that you can then switch to.

Hopefully you'll find a major or career that you really want to get into, otherwise you might end up like me lol.
        #42   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old June 19th, 2017 (11:52 PM).
      It's over, isn't it?

Can confirm what Nah said, you definitely do not have to worry about being pressured into a major for your first two years. I've even heard war stories of people switching around completely different fields of study their third year, and still coming out on top (at the cost of increased workload.) So don't feel too pressured into picking a major just yet. I would recommend taking advantage of your first two years and explore what interests you, though. You could easily find a passion that you didn't know that you had!
        #43   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old June 20th, 2017 (12:33 PM).

thank you. good news! the program that was being offered at university of south alabama wouldn't accept me. well, they couldn't, because i was too smart for it, which is good, i guess? however, i did visit another college today, bishop state, and i got in! i'm sort of a college student now? i don't start until august though. but, i have to do a placement test on the 22nd, to see what classes i take and how well i do with certain subjects. hopefully it goes well. i also applied for financial aid, which was a pain, but i'm glad i got that over with.

the college i'm going to is extremely small, which i like. it's a pretty small campus, compared to other colleges i've been to. but i'm excited and nervous as hell at the same time to start college. my big sister supports my decision though, as does my mom, and now i can finally get my life started or together somewhat. i just hope i do well in college.
        #44   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old June 22nd, 2017 (4:05 PM).

i took the placement test. it went well. i got my class schedule taken care of now since i'll be in new york for a month with my dad and seeing my best friend. i'm taking basic math, basic english (but the 2nd to highest level), history of western civilizations, art appreciation and public speaking. so..yeah. they're all on tuesdays and thursdays which means i'll have monday, wednesday, friday, saturday and sunday to study and do homework and stuff like that so...yeah. i'm still a bit overwhelmed though.
        #45   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old June 22nd, 2017 (7:36 PM).
      It's over, isn't it?

Quote:
      Originally Posted by hoshiko View Post
      i took the placement test. it went well. i got my class schedule taken care of now since i'll be in new york for a month with my dad and seeing my best friend. i'm taking basic math, basic english (but the 2nd to highest level), history of western civilizations, art appreciation and public speaking. so..yeah. they're all on tuesdays and thursdays which means i'll have monday, wednesday, friday, saturday and sunday to study and do homework and stuff like that so...yeah. i'm still a bit overwhelmed though.
      Sounds good! Although public speaking may be a rough time for you. You will be graded an your presentations, and that really does not mix well with anxiety. I don't even consider myself to be an awfully anxious person, and that class still kicked my ass. Just something to think about.
        #46   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old June 23rd, 2017 (2:44 PM).

yeah..i know :/ me and my mom both agreed that it would be good to get experience for public speaking though. i'll just..have to get through it somehow. one way or another.
        #47   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 23rd, 2017 (9:09 AM).

hey there guys. so uh. my first day of college was yesterday and it kicked my ass and threw me to the curb practically. well, first things first, let me say, i did go to the disability office and got my accommodations however the lady who works in the office has not given my teachers the letters that show proof that i need them yet. i hope they get them by thursday at least..

anyways uh. first day was yesterday. it was...scary as all hell. i thought it wouldn't be too hard cause it was the first day and cause it's a community college but.. oh god. it's so hard. a lot of my assignments and quizzes and books are online and..i have to keep up with them myself and remember to do them myself which i don't mind, it'll teach me to be more independent, but.. it's such a huge change from high school. i actually have homework for the first time in two years (because at my private school they didn't give out homework bc they felt it would overwhelm and stress students out) but.. first thing i did when i got home was i logged into the college website and then i did all my homework.

i didn't have too much luckily, only public speaking (which was a syllabus quiz), and art appreciation (which was an introduction to yourself) and i made sure to do those things first thing when i got home (instead of what i usually do which is youtube). all i have to do now is get 4x6 index cards, dividers, and a binder before tomorrow, which hopefully i can do. i already have two binders for english and math which you absolutely need, and i also need a binder for history of western civilization, because we take a /lot/ of notes in that class and the teacher does a lot of lectures.

my second day is tomorrow, and i'm going to see if sometime in between my classes (probably inbetween my public speaking and art class bc i have like a 40 minute period there), i can switch out my art book for just the online code that i need to do the assignments and whatnot. hopefully i will be able to do that tomorrow, and also do the math tutoring i am required to do (all the students are required but i don't mind, it's free tutoring). and.. uh. yeah.

i cried in front of my western civ teacher at the end of class bc i am a big cry baby but i am gonna see if tomorrow i can ask her for a few minutes after class and explain my situation. she was understanding about me crying yesterday so hopefully when i explain my situation to her tomorrow she will understand.

the only thing i am worried about in college is getting behind on my assignments or missing some but..if i stay on top of things then i should be ok. i'm just..especially worried about western civ because /so/ much of it is online. gonna see if she can help me figure out an easier way to access the online book though and hopefully i'll be okay.

i dunno. college is just.. a lot harder than i thought it would be. it's such a huge change from high school. the only teacher i really like so far is my public speaking teacher surprisingly. she's super upbeat and bubbly and funny. also she doesn't give homework, instead gives us speeches to do (we have to write an outline of a speech and stuff like that). but..hopefully i'll be okay. the teacher i really don't like is my english teacher. she just seems so strict and.. firm and scary. all my other teachers are okay though.

and uh. yeah.. i should be okay if i just stay on top of things but..the thought of having to do a lot of my work online and keep up with it is insanely overwhelming.
        #48   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 23rd, 2017 (11:29 AM).

It sounds like you have a solid handle on it. Just make sure stay disciplined about it and you'll experience way less stress than procrastinators who put things off until the last minute. I'm speaking from personal experience on the "doing it as you go" vs "procrastinate" strategies, especially for online courses (my personal tendencies were to procrastinate). Sounds like you have a way better handle on the transition than I initially did. My suggestion would just to be getting in the habit of checking the web classroom portals at least once a day and jotting down the coursework that's there on a notepad of some sort, if not just outright doing the coursework. Maybe set aside specific times of day for you to check on and then do your online coursework. Building it as a habit makes it feel like a part of your normal routine rather than anything extra that you have to do.
        #49   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 23rd, 2017 (11:45 AM).

thank you. i'll try to do those things. my plan is to do my homework as soon as i get home so i can get it over with and not leave it for the last minute.
        #50   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 25th, 2017 (6:40 AM). Edited August 25th, 2017 by hoshiko.

sorry for the double post but i'd just like to talk about my second day of college. it went a bit better than my first day. in math i took a lot of notes and got homework, which y'know..math ew but it's whatever i guess.. then since i dropped western civilization (bc it seemed /way/ too hard and overwhelming for me to keep up with especially since i'm a first time student and it was western civ 2 not history 101) and so i had a lot of free time inbetween my math and english class. but didnt have anything to do bc the tutoring hadnt started yet that week.

then i had english and we got the syllabus and calendar (she didnt want to give it to us until we had the necessary materials for class), and she talked..a lot. but i dont mind that shes a talkative teacher lol. then i had public speaking and..uh. it was good. but i have to write an outline for my speech that im giving on tuesday (its an introductory speech), and i havent been able to yet bc i emailed my teacher some important questions about it and she hasnt answered yet :/

and then i had art appreciation, where we just talked about what we thought art was and we watched some videos. we havent gone over anything in the book yet but she said were supposed to next week so..joy :^)

oh well. i feel a lot better now that i dropped western civ though. i'm sure i'll be fine as long as i just stay on top of things.

edit: id also like to add i did finish my math homework and it took me 2 hours bc i suck at math

Quick Reply