Competitive Pokémon The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon needs! Here you can discuss the metagame, receive help on your team, ask for battles, participate in events, and much more!
Quick Links: PC's Battle Server

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old December 14th, 2017 (6:33 PM).

Nature: Mild
I've reached 1800 on the Random Battle Showdown ladder. I'm wondering why I can't get this success on any of their real tiers. There's some sort of weakness I have, but I've yet to figure it out.

What do you consider your own biggest weakness as a player?
  #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old December 17th, 2017 (3:52 AM).
big mood. bye

I don't know all the Pokémon's abilities, moves and setups by heart. This just makes things harder for me because I often don't know what the opposite player is planning and I don't know what I can expect. With Pokémon I'm more familiar with I'm usually fine, so it's just a lack of knowledge.
      #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old December 22nd, 2017 (7:57 PM).

I lack competitive drive.
      This results in me not knowing the "meta" game, movesets of pokémon I don't use and so on.
      I also like to use pokémon I like, rather than pokémon that are good, which makes for a very unbalanced team in a limiting game like pokémon.
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old December 23rd, 2017 (9:28 PM). Edited December 23rd, 2017 by YugoTheFusionBanana.

Nature: Quiet
        Team building, not knowing the competitive scene and not knowing where to learn about the competitive scene
          #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old December 25th, 2017 (1:51 AM).
        Ayy Lmao

Nature: Adamant
          I usually predict things right
          but im always too scared to make big plays
          and most of my team are really weak to stall teams
            #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old December 26th, 2017 (1:47 PM).

I can be too passive and reactionary when I play, but I'm usually only like that when I'm out of practice.
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by YugoTheFusionBanana View Post
          Team building, not knowing the competitive scene and not knowing where to learn about the competitive scene
          We have a lot of resources here if that helps any. :) There's a lot you can do to learn about the competitive scene. Check the moveset and overall usage stats as well as viability rankings for what's popular or viable. Review teams on Smogon's RMT section (or here) that have peaked on the ladder or seem to be successful. Watch replays of major PC or Smogon tournaments for team building ideas and to see how people play. A lot of it comes down to practice.
            #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old December 26th, 2017 (2:04 PM).
          sleeping cutie

Nature: Relaxed
          I choke and panic a lot, especially when people are watching me. That or I'm too carelessly with my core Pokemon and let them die too quickly.
            #8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old December 27th, 2017 (5:40 AM).

I get too attached to my Pokémon, and I struggle with replacing them for better ones.

Currently playing: Pokémon Emerald (Trainer Personality Examination Challenge)
              #9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old December 28th, 2017 (12:36 PM).
            Lord

I'm fascinated by the theoretical side of competitive battling. I like to ponder over team composition, team synergy, strategy, etc forever and ever. It's frustrating, but at the same time fun.

However I have no motivation to play, whatsoever. Even when I manage to build a team, I usually just go "I can test this later" and never actually do it.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by ZeoStar View Post
            I've reached 1800 on the Random Battle Showdown ladder. I'm wondering why I can't get this success on any of their real tiers. There's some sort of weakness I have, but I've yet to figure it out.
            Your weakness is that you don't know how to play against good players. Play more on the actual ladders and you'll get better.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by noa View Post
            I choke and panic a lot, especially when people are watching me. That or I'm too carelessly with my core Pokemon and let them die too quickly.
            Consider getting a coach. He can help you getting over your panic, can give you tips when you really need them and after a battle can help you analyze the match in order to figure out what you should do and what to avoid the next time. Also, play more: it helps you feel more secure with what you do.
              #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old December 28th, 2017 (6:20 PM). Edited December 28th, 2017 by ZeoStar.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Marth View Post
            I'm fascinated by the theoretical side of competitive battling. I like to ponder over team composition, team synergy, strategy, etc forever and ever. It's frustrating, but at the same time fun.

However I have no motivation to play, whatsoever. Even when I manage to build a team, I usually just go "I can test this later" and never actually do it.

Your weakness is that you don't know how to play against good players. Play more on the actual ladders and you'll get better.
            The ladder has given me more problems than anything. It's matched me against multiple top players, including a #1 ranked player. Going against players so far ahead in skill hurts more than it helps when all I'm trying to do is learn.

I'm not improving by playing the low ladder either, as soon as I get past the unorthodox teams and get my chance against a real team, I'm pushed back down. It almost feels like a rigged system.

In fact, when I decided to give competitive a try for the first time, one of my first matches was against a #1 player using a stall team. It was dragged into nearly 100 turns and nothing beneficial comes from that.

I find systems that allow random match making to be better, and I've had great success on those. However I still like Showdown a lot, because I can experiment with anything and everything.
              #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old December 28th, 2017 (8:18 PM).
            WHOLLY MOLEY

Quote:
            The ladder has given me more problems than anything. It's matched me against multiple top players, including a #1 ranked player. Going against players so far ahead in skill hurts more than it helps when all I'm trying to do is learn.

I'm not improving by playing the low ladder either, as soon as I get past the unorthodox teams and get my chance against a real team, I'm pushed back down. It almost feels like a rigged system.
            You can always ask one of us for practice matches or just to talk - that's one way of learning. Personally I watched some PokéTubers to learn the fastest, but everyone learns differently.

As for ranking, don't worry about it too much. Player ranks raise and drop all the time - once you reach a certain level of consistency your chances of beating the "rank 1" player is as high as his chances of beating you. The ladder isn't even a good measurement of skill, as there are styles/teams that work better on the ladder.
              #12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old January 25th, 2018 (6:17 AM).

I just love my pokemon and don't want to lose it -_-

Bypass samsung pangu guide
                #13   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old January 25th, 2018 (10:33 AM).

Quote:

What do you consider your own biggest weakness as a player?
              If you don't have a problem in random but you do in other metas, maybe team building is a big problem? That's the biggest difference there, so it'd make sense to look at that if you want to do better elsewhere.

Honestly, my biggest problem is consistency. I get distracted by other interests and things so my competitive battling comes in phases. By the time I'm actually getting half decent I fall off and stop for a while and then when I come back the meta has changed or something and I'm rusty and I have to learn all over again.
                #14   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old January 25th, 2018 (12:28 PM).

Nature: Modest
              motivation. Recently I just haven't felt the desire to play competitive mons. I really want to get back into it but I can't say I am enjoying the USUM meta too much. Perhaps that will change soon...

Administrator

#15   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old February 1st, 2018 (8:03 AM). Edited February 1st, 2018 by Fisherman Cliff.

I mostly play with Mons I like, mostly humble looking ones, no goofy marshmallows nor demigod killingmachine monsters
                So my teams end up with a wierd balance or unoptimized picks
                Can't be helped tho, I'm not enjoying the game if I don't
                  #16   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old February 5th, 2018 (4:58 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
                If you don't have a problem in random but you do in other metas, maybe team building is a big problem? That's the biggest difference there, so it'd make sense to look at that if you want to do better elsewhere.

Honestly, my biggest problem is consistency. I get distracted by other interests and things so my competitive battling comes in phases. By the time I'm actually getting half decent I fall off and stop for a while and then when I come back the meta has changed or something and I'm rusty and I have to learn all over again.
                I've improved a lot since I created this topic. I found out my problem, and I was building teams where I would just throw things together, instead of properly building around something.

I'm still not a great player by any means, but before I could barely win at all, even on the very bottom of the ladder. This time I was able to make top 300 on the UU suspect test with over 70% GXE.

Right now I've been playing around with a Mega Pidgeot team I created, and I've been having lots of fun using it

(This is a replay of it if your interest in seeing) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-699214094
                  #17   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old February 6th, 2018 (5:55 AM).
                The Violent One

Nature: Bold
                  Freaking Fairy types always beating my team -_-
                  I don't have a problem with Fairy types but how can they beat Dragon types? Just Think about it a little fairy beating a huge fire breathing dragon.
                    #18   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old February 21st, 2018 (4:36 PM). Edited February 26th, 2018 by Leòmhann teine.

Nature: Sassy
                    I get tunnel vision easily and focus too much on what is already on the field instead of anticipating a switch. I also don’t have most of the competitive set ups memorized at all and I tend to do things like putting Luxray on my team instead of something good like Rotom Wash.

Shiny Pokemon I have caught: Rapidash (SS), Linoone (E), Spinda (E), Bibarel (Pt), Weedle (FR), Garbodor (X), Chansey(x5) (X), Audino(x2) (X), Flechinder (Mn), Whiscash (Mn), Magby (Mn), Caterpie (X)

Hall of Fame Post
                      #19   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old February 26th, 2018 (11:19 AM).
                    Rockstar Sylveon

Nature: Impish
                      I have a hard time using common sets, I understand why they are common but I like playing weird and unconventional sets
                        #20   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old February 26th, 2018 (5:58 PM).

Nature: Quirky
                        I use a Monotype Steel Team which has done well in some competitive battles, monthly competitions, and the Battle Tree, utilizing my favorite Pokemon. Probopass, Klefki, Bronzong, Ferrothorn, Forretress and Mega-Steelix; I also sub in Magnezone for sheer power and Aegislash for some great physical wearing-down. I've also gotten over my pride, somewhat, on not using Legendaries, but mostly to give Celesteela a go.

As a result, Fire, Fighting and Ground attacks are the bane of my existence, lol, but I have plenty of tactics on dealing with those shortcomings, since I've compiled my weaknesses and adjusted my team to deal with them accordingly.

Personally, my weakness is likely being stubborn about not using pokemon because they're super high ranked on Smogon uber tiers or whatever; I fine-trim my EVs and IVs, natures and such to optimize their combat potential, but I usually stick to the things I like in order to be successful. Gaming should be about having fun, right? Also, I usually think Legendaries are cheap and too frequent online for easy wins, so I usually don't use them.

I think Celesteela is cool though, in terms of design, appearance, and playstyle. That's as far as I may go though!
                          #21   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old February 26th, 2018 (5:59 PM).

Nature: Quirky
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by TrickyBirb View Post
                          I have a hard time using common sets, I understand why they are common but I like playing weird and unconventional sets
                          Nothing wrong with that!
                            #22   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old March 19th, 2018 (2:04 PM).

I don't trust my gut, and question my initial move, which is usually the right one.
                              #23   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old March 19th, 2018 (5:25 PM).

Now that I play somewhat decent, my biggest problem now is knowing when to quit.

It's impossible to autopilot through matches, especially in the 1400-1500's.

Also, It's hard to know when to predict and not to predict, sometimes one over prediction can lose you an entire game.
                              #24   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old April 9th, 2018 (1:25 AM).

Nature: Modest
                              I lack background knowledge of tiers and competitive sets such as offensive or defensive or spreading both together. I recognize OU, RU, or UU but do not know how to make an effective and balance team set. For instance, I would much love to reach Battle № 50 in the Battle Tree against the legendary Red or Blue for both SM and USUM but I only reach to 29, then have to start from the beginning. For Showdown, I have intense, yet satisfying battles but lose because I do not add any legendary or mythical pokemon as many people do (Note: I play just standard 6 v 6 7th Gen). Any who, I keep a persistent mind-set and change my move-sets, natures, and abilities of my MONS. I have some saved battle footage recorded in Moon but need an audio adapter to record the sound onto my phone. My laptop does not have an audio adapter, so my AUX cable is useless at the moment. When I do afford one I will share my battle and experience on a thread.
                                #25   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old April 9th, 2018 (6:53 AM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Shaddoll_Jinzo.18 View Post
                              I lack background knowledge of tiers and competitive sets such as offensive or defensive or spreading both together. I recognize OU, RU, or UU but do not know how to make an effective and balance team set. For instance, I would much love to reach Battle № 50 in the Battle Tree against the legendary Red or Blue for both SM and USUM but I only reach to 29, then have to start from the beginning. For Showdown, I have intense, yet satisfying battles but lose because I do not add any legendary or mythical pokemon as many people do (Note: I play just standard 6 v 6 7th Gen). Any who, I keep a persistent mind-set and change my move-sets, natures, and abilities of my MONS. I have some saved battle footage recorded in Moon but need an audio adapter to record the sound onto my phone. My laptop does not have an audio adapter, so my AUX cable is useless at the moment. When I do afford one I will share my battle and experience on a thread.
                              Not using legendaries hurts you but it's possible to manage I guess. It's a bit silly a mindset to have though imo, since most of the legendary mon in OU and below are worse than several of the regular mon available.

Quick Reply