• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] LA's Gen 3 Living Dex Journey

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
LA's Gen 3 Living Dex Journey​
The aspect of all main series Pokemon games that I get the most enjoyment out of is the "gotta-Catch-'em-All" aspect and, more specifically, creation of Living Dexes. I recently moved house and uncovered a whole bunch of old carts and handhelds which has inspired me to blow off the cobwebs and set out on a new adventure that satisfies my itch.

With a region-by-region approach, I'm going to jump into Living Dex creation with the following self-imposed rules:

1. I need to create one Living Dex for each major release of games. For example, one for Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald but not one each.

2. A Living Dex comprises all individual species of Pokemon that can be collected in that game's release, including its partner games. For example, everything that can be caught on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald but NOT including anything additional that could be traded in from Fire Red and Leaf Green. The main reason for this is the tedium that comes with never ending trades!!!

3. I'll only run this with games that are simple to navigate PC boxes by. i.e. this will not include the Gen 1 or Gen 2 games.​

In theory, the releases to cover should be those in the spoiler box below but let's see how we get on, starting with Gen 3!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Stage 1 – The First Gym​

So, up to the first badge and time for an update.

In Ruby I picked Torchic, Sapphire Mudkip and Emerald Treecko to satisfy my colour-must-match-game itch. They all form the core of each game's levelling team and so wont be traded around until the very end of the run. For each game, I hammered through the beginning of the stage and caught all of the regular fodder monsters, making sure to fill out the group with Zigzagoon for the Pickup ability to work its cash-generating magic. After playing a number of hours on each game it was clear that Emerald was obtain very different Pickup items to Ruby and Sapphire so I jumped online to check out how different it could be… DAYUM! Emerald is laaaaame! My brilliant level 3-5 Ziggies on Ruby and Sapphire gave me Rare Candies, Vitamins and King's Rocks but our team of like-minded scavengers on Emerald found nothing nearly as good and wouldn't until reaching higher levels! What a strange difference to insert into a third-instalment game!

In Ruby, I levelled up a Wurmple to find that it evolved into a Cascoon. As with all cocoon Pokemon, levelling them up is a bit of a pain so I boxed this one and decided to leave the levelling up until later with Emerald. It turned out that hunting for Ralts wasn't even needed as they were my 6th and 8th encounters on Route 202! For some reason I remembered this encounter being far more elusive when I was a kid so it was nice not to face this "challenge". It did, however, take an insane about of encounters before finding Surskit. The best part in this game was finding my third-ever Gen 3 shiny! A Shroomish that I called Mario 😊. Ruby's levelling team is now Combusken, Ralts and Surskit.

I actually played through Sapphire after Emerald and was very very annoyed to spend hours searching for my second Surskit. In that time, around 5 hours, my Slakoth evolved into Vigoroth which gives you an idea of the frustration I faced in trying to get this final capture of the stage. The only "bonus" to spending so long hunting the elusive bug type was accruing an incredible bunch of items for sale or use later down the line. Sapphire's levelling team is now Marshtomp and Vigoroth.

Someone prove me wrong but Emerald, like other third-instalment releases seems to be far more popular than Ruby and Sapphire online. Maybe it is due to its increased challenges and added features? For me, following this stage of the game, I HATE it. This game stole hours from me – hours!!! For finding a stupid little Seedot on Route 102. Last time I played this game there was no way this took 8 hours so that claimed 1% encounter rate online can go and take a good long look at itself and think about what its lie has done to me!
On this game, I completed the Beautifly and Dustox lines as well as evolved Marill to Azumarill before ploughing through to the Gym in Rustboro.
Treecko's levelling team is now Grovyle and Ralts.

Over in Kanto, everything has moved a lot more smoothly. In Fire Red I started with Charmander and used my Leaf Green copy to trade in Squirtle. A restart on Leaf Green now has that playthrough carrying Bulbasaur to complete my starter colour-must-match-game obsession. The initial section of the game was simple for both – captures were straight forward and since Fire could level up a Butterfree and Leaf could level up a Beedrill, I'm doing pretty well already.

Captures

Spr_3r_252.png
Spr_3r_253.png
Spr_3r_255.png
Spr_3r_256.png
Spr_3r_258.png
Spr_3r_259.png
Spr_3r_261.png
Spr_3r_263.png
Spr_3r_265.png
Spr_3r_266.png
Spr_3r_267.png
Spr_3r_268.png
Spr_3r_269.png
Spr_3r_278.png
Spr_3r_270.png
Spr_3r_273.png
Spr_3r_280.png
Spr_3r_283.png
Spr_3r_183.png
Spr_3r_184.png
Spr_3r_276.png
Spr_3r_285.png
Spr_3r_285_s.png
Spr_3r_287.png
Spr_3r_288.png

Spr_3f_001.png
Spr_3f_004.png
Spr_3f_007.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_019.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_021.png
Spr_3f_010.png
Spr_3f_011.png
Spr_3f_012.png
Spr_3f_013.png
Spr_3f_014.png
Spr_3f_015.png
Spr_3f_025.png

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Stage 2 – The Second Gym

The journey between Rustboro and Dewford in R/S/E is actually incredibly short so running through those was incredibly quick for me. All of the catches were done in pretty good time, too. This included the potentially sanity-stealing capture of Abra which can take a super long time to get done if you're unlucky.

Completing the few trades that I needed to get the dex entries onto Ruby didn't take too long although it did highlight that my Emerald cartridge likes to play up. I had one moment where it froze while trying to save a few more where the GBA failed to recognise that it had been inserted into the slot. I really don't want to lose a whole load of progress so will keep saving at regular intervals and completing trades when I can.

Fire Red and Leaf Green enjoyed a trip down memory lane in Mt Moon and a battle with Misty. I really thought that I would have an easy time defeating her with my Golbat but even with Bite available, Starmie's Water Pulse made everything so much harder due to the confusion it continuously gave me. After the third try, the Cascade badge became mine and we finished off the stage without any other hiccups.

Captures

Spr_3r_290.png
Spr_3r_293.png
Spr_3r_300.png
Spr_3r_063.png
Spr_3r_041.png
Spr_3r_074.png
Spr_3r_296.png
Spr_3r_304.png
Spr_3r_302.png
Spr_3r_303.png
Spr_3r_281.png

Spr_3f_002.png
Spr_3f_005.png
Spr_3f_017.png
Spr_3f_029.png
Spr_3f_032.png
Spr_3f_039.png
Spr_3f_041.png
Spr_3f_074.png
Spr_3f_046.png
Spr_3f_035.png
Spr_3f_023.png
Spr_3f_027.png

Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Time has really gotten away from this project with a hefty combo of work, other hobbies and a teeny issue of biting off more than I can chew…

Stage 3 – The Third and Fourth Gym

Running through Hoenn I realised that there is only a very tiny amount of content between Badges 2 and 3 so decided to run a joint section for the next two badges. To keep things fair across all games I did the same for Kanto and started a long slog…

Again, I really must only be remembering the content of R/S as the differences with Emerald really stand out. The Gym leaders continue to be especially noteworthy and Wattson carried one of those additional challenges that wasn't expected. I don't think the levels of his team were that bad but somehow his Manectric hit like a truck with each shockwave. Since Emerald is carrying my Grovyle as the led party member at least I could heal up with some resisted hits… In pretty much the opposite experience, Emerald had a very easy time with Flannery so I guess the changes aren't all bad!

Over in Kanto, Fire Red and Leaf Green smashed through the S.S. Anne and next two badges without any issues. Arriving in Celadon I spent some time buying a few evolutionary stones and picked up Eevee to start the happiness grind… Until I found out the effort would be in vain! Turns out happiness evolution is barred until the national dex but the bigger problem is that there is no time function in FR/LG so Espeon and Umbreon would only be able to be collected in R/S/E once trading between Hoenn and Kanto is available. I wonder if I'll find any other problems like this…

Captures

Spr_3r_043.png
Spr_3r_309.png
Spr_3r_311.png
Spr_3r_312.png
Spr_3r_316.png
Spr_3r_317.png
Spr_3r_313.png
Spr_3r_314.png
Spr_3r_066.png
Spr_3r_322.png
Spr_3r_088.png
Spr_3r_109.png
Spr_3r_218.png
Spr_3r_324.png
Spr_3r_027.png
Spr_3r_028.png
Spr_3r_227.png
Spr_3r_327.png
Spr_3r_271.png
Spr_3r_274.png
Spr_3r_333.png
Spr_3r_335.png
Spr_3r_336.png
Spr_3r_337.png
Spr_3r_338.png
Spr_3r_325.png
Spr_3r_282.png
Spr_3r_292.png

Spr_3f_008.png
Spr_3f_043.png
Spr_3f_069.png
Spr_3f_050.png
Spr_3f_051.png
Spr_3f_096.png
Spr_3f_097.png
Spr_3f_129.png
Spr_3f_083.png
Spr_3f_064.png
Spr_3f_065.png
Spr_3f_122.png
Spr_3f_100.png
Spr_3f_101.png
Spr_3f_066.png
Spr_3f_067.png
Spr_3f_095.png
Spr_3f_133.png
Spr_3f_036.png
Spr_3f_040.png
Spr_3f_037.png
Spr_3f_026.png
Spr_3f_038.png
Spr_3f_058.png
Spr_3f_059.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
In an attempt to finish off one of these challenges before the release of Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl I have decided to focus solely on Fire Red and Leaf Green. Since the last update I have gradually clawed through a lot of the content and am now on the final stretch but have a few updates to catch up on… Here comes the next section!

Stage 4 – The Fifth Gym and Safari Zone

This section of the game always feels really long; between the cycling road and the eastern boardwalk, there are a lot of trainers to power through before making it to Fuchsia City. Critical points to pick up on here were the collection of both the Good and Super Rods which will make sourcing many entries to the Living Dex much easier and the painstaking process of the Safari Zone…

Both games made short work of the trainers and drove evolution along the way. The core teams changed a lot during this section, resulting in the following groups: Charizard-Venusaur-Golbat and Blastoise-Rhyhorn-Dratini-Chansey.

The Safari Zone was such a pain and ended up swallowing loads of hours in the search for Chansey. In total, I faced twenty-four Chansey before one would stay in a ball and finally added the elusive egg to my collection. At this point I made the very clear decision not to try to catch a second; this one would be the eventual evolved Blissey which I would later breed to get a second Chansey for the Living Dex.

Captures

Spr_3f_003.png
Spr_3f_006.png
Spr_3f_009.png
Spr_3f_042.png
Spr_3f_020.png
Spr_3f_143.png
Spr_3f_022.png
Spr_3f_030.png
Spr_3f_044.png
Spr_3f_070.png
Spr_3f_048.png