• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a clear answer for this?

VHS

"bless yo trap"
Years
I recently started playing Crystal on the 3ds as VC. And I immediatly noticed that the sprites of the enemy are animated. Why didn't they use this in S/R or FR/LG?
It was up to 2005 with emerald that they used it again.
I was just wondering, can someone give me an answer?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
The original Ruby and Sapphire, along with the Kanto remakes, despite moving to a new console, really felt like somewhat of a step backwards from Gen 2. Day to night was removed, animations, etc.

It was only with Emerald did they finally utilize more features and possibly make the game they were always planning to. I don't know if it was to generate more hype for Emerald (as is typical with the standard third game), but yeah, that's how it happened regardless.

Such things never went away thereafter.

I can sort of get doing it for the Kanto remakes, to remain more true to the original games... but I really don't know the reason for sure. The most likely is to further generate hype for Emerald, so that's my guess. It is standard GameFreak mentality.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Game Freak has always kind of loved putting stuff in one game and then removing it in the next

why they do this baffles me tho

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
I recently started playing Crystal on the 3ds as VC. And I immediatly noticed that the sprites of the enemy are animated.

Say what? I thought they only ported it to the 3DS's VC

VHS

"bless yo trap"
Years
The original Ruby and Sapphire, along with the Kanto remakes, despite moving to a new console, really felt like somewhat of a step backwards from Gen 2. Day to night was removed, animations, etc.

It was only with Emerald did they finally utilize more features and possibly make the game they were always planning to. I don't know if it was to generate more hype for Emerald (as is typical with the standard third game), but yeah, that's how it happened regardless.

Such things never went away thereafter.

I can sort of get doing it for the Kanto remakes, to remain more true to the original games... but I really don't know the reason for sure. The most likely is to further generate hype for Emerald, so that's my guess. It is standard GameFreak mentality.
Just realized R/S/FR/LG/E all used a new engine so guess that answers my question I suppose haha? Bet they put most of their time on renewing the graphics etc. :P

Back