• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I have a basic understanding of programming, due to a couple semesters of learning Computer Science. However, I only occasionally work on the programming projects that I have. Focus mostly lies on C# and sometimes a little bit Python3. Also had a little bit of C++ and Haskell in the past, though I wouldn't really count them as I haven't done anything with them for ages.
hmm.. guess I've never written a single line of code in my webmastering history or as a webdesigner, etc.. yup not a single line.
Well, it's called web"master" for a reason. The hard work is privilege of the lowly servants. {XD}

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
Visual Basic, in my honest opinion, isn't the greatest language to start with, because it isn't very standardized in terms of syntax versus other languages.
This.

Visual Basic was the first language I ever had experience with, as it was the language taught in my high school programming class. I picked up on it really quickly and actually enjoyed it a great deal, but learning that syntax first made for a hard transition to other languages. Though maybe "hard" isn't the best word? Perhaps the syntax habits were just hard to break.

Oh, and hi! I wouldn't consider myself adept or even very knowledgeable about programming at all, but I have been picking it back up lately and playing around with it. As I've said my experience with coding stems from Visual Basic, but I've also taken a course in HTML and CSS while in college, dabbled with JavaScript, Actionscript waaaaay back, and now I'm mostly trying to focus on C# to have a more modern, versatile language to play with. :>

Zet

Years
So in the fall I'll be taking a class on Visual Basic as part of my degree. Would y'all say there's anything I'd need to possibly learn/look at to make sure I don't walk into the class without knowing anything?
Learn to make a GUI interface to track the killer's IP address.*

*You're pretty cool if you got that reference.

While not programming languages, I know HTML and CSS. As for programming languages I only know a tiny bit of JavaScript.

Years
Learning Python and took a semester of C, so hoping to learn to make some gaming scripts later =3

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Add me please even though I'm sort of an amateur lol.

Languages: C++, Java, Shell, Javascript, HTML, CSS (and some others I forgot)

Years
Hey!

I'm not sure if this counts, but I know a lot about GameMaker Language (GML). I've coded a lot of platformer games and simple fighters.

If that's acceptable, I'd love to be added to the list!

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Well I tanked my coding test today (:

I am not very comfortable with the libgdx framework and I think it may have shown.. hehe.. oops

has anyone else used libgdx before?

Buu

Rocket Executive
Years
Thought I'd just jump on this train to brag.

PHP, HTML, CSS. Expert in vBulletin Invision Power Board and services.

Former Head Admin of Crazy-Coderz (rip) and current owner of an invision project.

Feel free to shoot me any questions :)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I've never heard of it, but I'm still learning so yeah. I'm borderline failing my Robotics class, but I can hand in a few things and try getting my Robot finished, as we got a half-day extension since our prof got first-hand experience on how much our robot is not working and that we've had to struggle with it.

It's a framework for games, it's pretty cool actually! I don't mind failing cause I'll get it in the end, but it was 20% of my grade! I picked a whole bunch of oopsie-daisies.

But robotics sounds way cooler!! What robot are you trying to make?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Ah, a gaming framework? That'd be a lot.of fun to play with. I'm thinking on playing around with an unofficial devkit called Devkitpro. It lets me make games for different consoles, including most recent Nintendo consoles.

It's actually a robot that we build ourselves and program an Arduino to work with. It's fairly tedious work though. There's a lot you need to keep in mind, especially when it comes to power usage, and calibration of your sensors to prevent unnecessary noise and inaccurate results.

Devkitpro sounds so cool!

That robotics stuff does sound hard, but I bet it pays off in the end! I wish you the best of luck :)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Just thought I'd join this, I'm always happy to chat about coding and meet fellow coders :3

I'm a full-time software engineer and web developer. I work on identity management software which handles user authentication, authorization, and single-sign on across different web services. I know and have worked with all of the major languages to varying degrees, but the ones I work with most frequently are PHP, Perl, and Javascript.

Hello all n_n

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Hey peeps! I'm a software engineer by trade and my strongest languages are C and Java. I'm doing a lot of Android work right now and also trying to find a game engine that doesn't drive me crazy for some hobby projects. I'm a big fan of parallel processing, and have a decent amount of experience with CUDA and OpenGL.

I've got some experience with libgdx, Impo, but not a lot. It worked pretty well for a small game app I did in school.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I don't really think it's worth putting me on the list since I'm not really proficient in... anything, but I do some amateur coding from time to time. I've done stuff mostly with JavaScript and Java, and these days I'm very slowly learning Ruby (mostly by digging through the code for Pokémon Essentials) and C++ (which frustrates me forever). Looking forward to chatting with y'all!

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I've got some experience with libgdx, Impo, but not a lot. It worked pretty well for a small game app I did in school.

Oooo that sounds exciting! What game did you make?

I have to make a game for a group assignment and I'm scared (:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Very big on C++ and native-code in general. Not a huge fan of managed environments like C#/Java/etc for "serious" coding. When it comes to performance and general programming C/C++ is my home base. Experience in x86/64, ARM, PPC, Z80, and 6502 from lots of reverse engineering.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
I'd like to be added to the list.

I've dabbled in multiple languages but the ones I've used the most are, in this order, HTML/CSS (if it counts), C#, Python and Java, although I've mostly forgotten Java and most of Python. xD I look forward to being here and learning from you all! c:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I have a question for the coders of PC! It's one regarding storing data (let's see if I can word it right :x )

I'm experimenting in swift trying to make an app, and it's very fun! It's essentially a pedometer and by taking steps you hatch and level Pokemon. So fun! But I have come across a problem: I have a ton of Pokemon and variables to store for them (steps taken, level, happiness, etc) which will change throughout the app, but a lot of the other variables (sprites, overworlds, icon, name, type, max exp, exp growth type, etc) will only ever be the same thing. Is there a way to store all of the latter data before instantiating it with the former variables?

(I hope that made sense...)

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
From what I understand, you want some values to stay the same throughout your app while some can be changed at a time after instantiating them, yeah?

You could set the values you want to remain the same as constants and the rest as ordinary variables. I looked it up and it seems like the code for setting constants in Swift
is by using "let" as follows;

Code:
let maximumNumberOfLoginAttempts = 10
I hope that's what you were looking for! c:

Back