• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Acanthite – The GSC Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
I've been looking at this game for a long time, and now it's time to finally put in my bit.

I absolutely ADORE this game. It has a nice storyline, the new D/P graphics look great, I LOVE the Trading Cards and wish they could be real, but most of all, I adore and admire the pokemon and other artwork.

I am an artist and a spriter, and the pokemon all look superb. They have great concepts, and the actual drawings are breathitaking! The pics on the trading cards also look really, really super! As a spriter, I must say that the fakemon sprites are brilliant. They make my work look like loads of scrap.

So yeah, just saying in a long and winding way that I love this project, and hope it progresses and makes a sublime game, which I know it will.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Yeah, the game will have the D/P game mechanics (I think).
If by type combos you mean new combinations of types for Pokémon, yes there are new type combos. Look at the Pokémon list (link's in the first post). There's also two new types, Light and Virus.

ChaoticKitten

^.^ Wait... I get it... o.O
Years
This looks amazing... I know it probably says in the thread somewhere but there is a lot of pages to go through... Will this be released as a beta, or will you wait and put it out as a completed game?

Personally, even though I want to play it asap, I think you should wait and get it perfect and 100% done...

Another thing that has probably been covered; what platform are you aiming to release this on? IE. purely for an emulator? DS via R4 or whatever?

Skeetendo Inc.

The REAL Pokémon Company
Years
This looks amazing... I know it probably says in the thread somewhere but there is a lot of pages to go through... Will this be released as a beta, or will you wait and put it out as a completed game?

There's going to be a demo out soon, I personally don't know when, it could be anytime before the end of the year. It was supposed to be in August but some things happened (redesigns and such) which caused it to be delayed.

Another thing that has probably been covered; what platform are you aiming to release this on? IE. purely for an emulator? DS via R4 or whatever?

Just on PC.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
Another query:@ I like scratching sprites. Is it okay if I scratch some fansprites of the pokemon? Thanks, Riceeman.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
Years
Sprite anything you wish :) If you're publically releasing any sprites, just please state where the designs came from. And I'd like to see what you can do.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
I can't believe I haven't noticed the changes; the new updates are very impressive.
Although it is awkward that a large game like this would change to the style of Kyledove, it is very interesting.

I would love to help out with any sprites that you would like, although I doubt you need any.
Anyway, good luck, and I hope for more progression with this project.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
Years
Yeah, it's a bit of a backwards step because it means we're going back and redoing things. But I'd rather do that than be unhappy with the way the game looks. It's how we've always done things: evaluated what's good and what's not, and changed the "what's not" part. Which is why our Pokémon are still being redesigned too.

Fortunately, our array of custom tiles is preventing us from looking like all the other projects using this style of tileset. Which is an advantage, actually, since all the projects with FRLG graphics mostly used my publically released version of the tileset, so they were using a lot of the same graphics as us. The new look is more appropriate for the game, and in a bizarre twist has ended up being more unique too!

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
Well I decided to have a crack at Sympholy. Hope you like it. I'll have a go at Cygsens next.
Sympholy.png

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
My turn :P
sympholyspriteqs1.png
Wow, your sprite looks really good. Some things that look weird on it is the tail's shape, the legs and the stomach around it, and the right arm (in our perspective). Also, the collar may need a little work.

Also, riceeman, yours looks pretty good, but it seems crooked, and it doesn't go with the Acanthite style.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
Heh, I made a Sympholy Animation *points to avatar* Anyways, keep up the hard work Fangking. Hope you get on MSN soon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Keep in mind we're not submitting them to be used in Acanthite - Fangking wants all the sprites to be done by one person. They're just for fun ;)

Thanks for the criticism though; I'll work on it later.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Lol. But Wichu that does look really good =). I'd use it in my game if i was him, but i understand what he means by done by the same person

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2009
WHoa.
I love the idea, I love the DP style, and I love (most of) the new Pokemon.
I actually thought that some of them were Official at first! (realizing they weren't was upsetting)
The new types, ehh, not liking them quite as much. Light is okay (can't really have "dark" without "light"), but Toxic, meh. It's too similar to poison for my tastes.

But anyway, as a whole, I love this.

I do have a question though, Have you guys seriously considered releasing this as a Homebrew DS game?
I'd add to the feel of the game, and anybody with a homebrew DS solution that likes pokemon would have a giant orgasm xD So consider it. Please.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait till the finished release!!!!!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
The reason you don't like the 'toxic' type is because it doesn't exist :P
The other new type is Virus.
Also, do you know how hard a DS game is to make? I really doubt we'll ever see any homebrew Pokémon games on DS (not hacks)...

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2009
The reason you don't like the 'toxic' type is because it doesn't exist :P
The other new type is Virus.
Also, do you know how hard a DS game is to make? I really doubt we'll ever see any homebrew Pokémon games on DS (not hacks)...

Sorry, I meant "virus". But still, my point is the same, it's too similar to poison for me. Also, it makes me think of Digimon, but thats a different story, lol.

Well yes, I consider myslef fairly active in the homebrew community. It's not easy, hell no. But it's doable. If you can program (and I can't; I don't do anything creative on the computer at all, I"m a pen and pencil kind of guy) essentially, all I imagine you would have to do is take the finished game, and reprogram it as a .nds file (ie homebrew) I think it'd be the same as lemmoxDS, or other things of that nature.

On another note, I'd like to ask the programmers of this game how difficult it is to include player character customization? I just had the thought that it might be easy to recolor or edit a trainer sprite in game, but the over worlds are a different story.

?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
The point is, it would be virtually impossible to turn a .exe file into a .nds file, even for an expert programmer. This is due to the DS's hardware being comletely different to a PC's. As far as I know, there's no way to even run RMXP games on a Mac without using software to run or emulate Windows, so imagine trying to get it to work on a DS! Also, Pokémon RMXP games tend to run quite slowly on my computer, which has much better hardware than a DS, so it would probably lag horribly on one.
As for trainer customization, no, it's not that hard to do. However, since Acanthite focuses on the rival from G/S/C, it's best to leave him as he is. It's not much of a difference, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back