• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Bellsprout is able to be legitimately caught in white forest, and thus has its non-DW ability, so it's probably good.

I got Victreebel and Regirock to work after tweaking where they were met and the amount of bits in their nicknames, but I can't seem to get Volbeat to work. That's the last one I need.

Help appreciated. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey guys,

What are suggested natures, EV's, and movesets for Alakazam?

Alakazam must always use a Timid nature to outspeed as much as it can. The only set that's viable for it is this:
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Substitute/Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)/Calm Mind
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years
Help me Bake some victories...

So I've been playing the Pokemon games since their birth. Played every game available (Of course referring to RBG/GSC/RS/DPP/BW)

I've always enjoyed playing them purely in game, I have never battled over Wi-Fi competitively, but I've gotten to a point where playing BW a lot recently where I figure I would like to give competitive battling a try. But if I am going to do so, I want to know what the heck I'm doing.

It's not that I need help with battling well per say, my problem lies in the fact that I have next to no idea what things like EV training are.

I started my research only the other day, and (Noob Alert) I didn't even know that different natures meant for different additions/subtractions from stats. Purely because I had never researched into it, I just figured it was just a random feature added to the game (Again, yes I know noob alert but there you go)

I also until the other day didn't have a clue what EV training was, I always figured that when a PKMN evolved it had a set amount of point that were added to each stat, I had no idea that these were influenced by the type of Pokemon you battled throughout the EXP of that level.

I have researched Serebii and various sites to learn more about EV training, but I'm still a little confused.

Firstly;
To get the best possible Pokemon, do you need to be EV training and taking on onlly certain Pokemon right from level 1? Or can I still get their stats just as good from starting to EV train from one of my Pokemon that is say level 50?

On top of that question, does anyone have any tips for the best way to EV train? Usually when I want to train a low level Pokemon I just chuck an EXP share on it and do the Pokemon leage a few times until it is ready to fend for itself.

Also;

Obviously a lot of people use multiple items such as Leftovers and certain berries, and my question is - Do people get multiples of these items just by cloning? Or is there a more efficient way to do so?

I know a lot of these questions may seem stupid and simple to a lot of people, but remember, we all have to start somewhere!

Any help people can give me would be greatly appreciated =)

(In case it is relevant to anyones advice, I have two DS's and the games I currently have access too (Haven't lost) are Platinum, Soul Silver, White, & Black)

Also I apologise is this is in the wrong section...

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2015
Right... You want to EV train? Your method of training is the opposite.

May I mention, I don't know the Es that are given, so I made them up. Check bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net 's entries of the pokemon to see their EV yeild. Check pokemon.marriland.com 's section on EV training for info.

Now for a techie thing.
Each pokemon your pokemon defeat gives off an/some V points in a stat, for instance(from memory) Urloin gives one EV in speed. The level of the wild pokemon doesnt matter. I think, not for certain, that you can get 252 EVs on a PKMN. It is best to start Vs at level one, but VITAL that the PKMN has never battled (no EVing level100 Samurott). Follow my link for a better explanation.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
You could always use Pokemon Online for competitive battling, it's much easier than raising the Pokemon from scratch. n__n It can be tedious having to hatch the Pokemon with the right nature and flawless Iv's, unless you RNG which is a whole other topic.

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years
You could always use Pokemon Online for competitive battling, it's much easier than raising the Pokemon from scratch. n__n It can be tedious having to hatch the Pokemon with the right nature and flawless Iv's, unless you RNG which is a whole other topic.

Don't you have to pay for Pokemon Online?

And that's part of what I don't get; If to raise a Pokemon with the right EV's involves leveling up by battling the right Pokemon, how can you breed a Pokemon with the right stats? What does it mean to breed with the right IV's?

Perriechu

Years
Don't you have to pay for Pokemon Online?

And that's part of what I don't get; If to raise a Pokemon with the right EV's involves leveling up by battling the right Pokemon, how can you breed a Pokemon with the right stats? What does it mean to breed with the right IV's?

Nope, Pokemon Online is totally free. n___n It's what everyone here uses for battling.

Okay, lets start with the questions you asked;

To get the best possible Pokemon, do you need to be EV training and taking on onlly certain Pokemon right from level 1? Or can I still get their stats just as good from starting to EV train from one of my Pokemon that is say level 50?

You can start Ev training at whatever level you want. Even at level 100, however Ev training a Pokemon at level 100 is B/W only. And the sequels, I guess.

On top of that question, does anyone have any tips for the best way to EV train? Usually when I want to train a low level Pokemon I just chuck an EXP share on it and do the Pokemon leage a few times until it is ready to fend for itself.

The best way to Ev train is to first choose what stats you're going to focus training. Lets say you're training a Larvitar and you want it to have 252 Ev points in attack. You would then find a list of what Pokemon give what Ev's, I'm playing Black version so I need Larvitar to defeat a Pokemon that gives out attack Ev's such as Ekans or Sandile. For Pokemon that give out attack Ev's, see here; http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/attack.shtml there are much better in-depth guides out there that focus on Ev training, gamefaqs has some good ones! To get your 252 attack points you're going to have to defeat 252 Ekans' since they give 1 point. Or 126 -insert Pokemon- since they give out 2. Usually people use an AR when doing this so they can use the Ev/Iv check code to keep track, as there's no other way to check them.

Also;

Obviously a lot of people use multiple items such as Leftovers and certain berries, and my question is - Do people get multiples of these items just by cloning? Or is there a more efficient way to do so?

We usually use action replay codes. Don't worry, getting the items this way is not considered cheating.

And now for Iv's, it's kinda complicated but if you read this; http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

Of course you can avoid all this tedious stuff and use PO, hehe.

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years
Thankyou for your detailed reply! ^_^

Just a few questions;

''You can start Ev training at whatever level you want. Even at level 100, however Ev training a Pokemon at level 100 is B/W only. And the sequels, I guess.''

- So even my level 100 Dragonite can increase its stats if I take it to battle X amount of the Pokemon in the wild that gives the EV's I want?

''Usually people use an AR when doing this so they can use the Ev/Iv check code to keep track, as there's no other way to check them.''

- An AR? *Blushes*

''We usually use action replay codes. Don't worry, getting the items this way is not considered cheating.''

- I've heard of them but know nothing about them. How do they work?

Perriechu

Years
Thankyou for your detailed reply! ^_^

Just a few questions;

''You can start Ev training at whatever level you want. Even at level 100, however Ev training a Pokemon at level 100 is B/W only. And the sequels, I guess.''

- So even my level 100 Dragonite can increase its stats if I take it to battle X amount of the Pokemon in the wild that gives the EV's I want?

''Usually people use an AR when doing this so they can use the Ev/Iv check code to keep track, as there's no other way to check them.''

- An AR? *Blushes*

''We usually use action replay codes. Don't worry, getting the items this way is not considered cheating.''

- I've heard of them but know nothing about them. How do they work?

Yep @ your Dragonite question.

AR = Action Replay, aaand it's basically an external cheat device that has action replay codes on.

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years

Yep @ your Dragonite question.

AR = Action Replay, aaand it's basically an external cheat device that has action replay codes on.

So if I take my Dragonite to go smash some Wild Pokemon with the EV's I want, will the EV's just go up on their own and I'de have to check them manually? Because obviously there will be no more levels to gain where it usually comes up with a small box with the stat additions mid battle.

And ahhh, are they pretty easy/cheapish to get hold of?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So if I take my Dragonite to go smash some Wild Pokemon with the EV's I want, will the EV's just go up on their own and I'de have to check them manually? Because obviously there will be no more levels to gain where it usually comes up with a small box with the stat additions mid battle.

And ahhh, are they pretty easy/cheapish to get hold of?

The EVs do go up on their own; you must also keep track of them yourself.

Years
To experiment with EVs and see how they work take a high level Pokemon you have never used in battle. A legendary works best here and go battle as many of the same Pokemon as possible (I.e 200 magikarps as an ex) and Lvl up. You should see the difference in the speed stat it should say something crazy like +60 speed points, items such as carbos, protien etc etc give 10 EVs in the desired stat and can be used to give 100 EVs in a certain stat. (I.e 10 HP Ups = 100 HP EVs)

Perriechu

Years
Action Replays can be bought for around £14. You have to make sure it's the latest one though.

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
Years
Thanks for all your help guys =)

Sp finally Just to clarify, even though I have some LV100 Pokemon, it isn't too late to properly EV train them even though they cannot gain levels anymore?

@Dragonomega -

Ahh that's not too bad, is it best to wait for one that comes out after Black White 2 then?

Years
Need help building a team on soulsilver

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I want a good team for pokemon soulsilver, built around Rayquaza. The thing is though, i want a team i can make with only in-game pokemon from soulsilver, and anything i can migrate from leafgreen or ruby. Actually i already have a palkia too, but other than that. Can anyone suggest a good competitive team under those parameters for me?

Perriechu

Years
Thanks for all your help guys =)

Sp finally Just to clarify, even though I have some LV100 Pokemon, it isn't too late to properly EV train them even though they cannot gain levels anymore?

@Dragonomega -

Ahh that's not too bad, is it best to wait for one that comes out after Black White 2 then?

Yep, that's correct, as long as the game is either B/W or B/W2. n__n

I wouldn't wait. It would come out around late October early November which is quite the wait. If you got the latest one now then you can always update it when the website has updated with B/W2 codes.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Well you'd be looking at playing Ubers which is an extremely difficult metagame. However luckily Rayquaza is a great Pokemon so your parameters are reasonable.

Firstly look up what is in the Ubers tier, most good teams also use some Pokemon from lower tiers (Scizor, Ferrathorn and the Lati twins come to mind)

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/uber

List of things not to do
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue21/charizard

Your team should be based around letting Rayquaza sweep, I'd go for the Dragon Dance set. Scarf Palkia would be nice too. You need to build an offensive core + all your other stuff you want (eg. weather starter is probably a must). Honestly I don't play ubers so i'll leave that to other people.

Good luck.

Years
I'm about to start breeding Scythers for IV's but the only Scyther I have at the moment has incredibly bad IV's in every stat (16 is the highest in hp, nothing else over 11).
Should I try and catch a new Scyther from Soul Silver and migrate to White, or can I use Power items and attempt to chain the IV's I want through multiple Ditto eggs?

Years
I need some help building a competitive team...

Hey guys, I'm Reaca. I've been looking into competitive battling, and I thought that I may need some help to start planning a team. It would be a Gen V team, and I had a few ideas for a party member or two.

Scizor
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant

I don't know about moves, items, or what EVs to raise.

Espeon
Ability: Magic Bounce

No idea about anything else.

That's all I got, actually. I'm not really familiar with anything higher than Gen III.

If you take the time to help me, I thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back