• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General game making help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
[a id]main[/a id]

Contents

[alink id="allowed"]What is allowed[/alink id]
[alink id="disallowed"]What isn't allowed[/alink id]
[alink id="troubleshoot"]When troubleshooting[/alink id]

Info

Requests

If you wish to request resources for your game, please go here.

Essentials

If you need help with the Essentials starter kit, please go here.

Game Development help

Having trouble with a script and/or event in RPG Maker? Or maybe there's something you don't understand about programming?

You may ask as much as you like in this thread!

Thread guidelines

[a id]allowed[/a id]

What is allowed:

• Requesting a tutorial to be written for you.
  • Asking for help on how to do a simple action.
  • Asking for certain programs to help you with your game development.
    For example, a sprite conversion program.
  • Requesting assistance when your code isn't working like intended.
[a id]disallowed[/a id]

What isn't allowed:

• Asking how to do a completely custom system like a CBS.
  • Requesting a member to create a script exclusively for your use.
  • Requesting warez.

[a id]troubleshoot[/a id]

When troubleshooting

• Provide a demonstration screenshot.
  • Provide a description of the steps taken prior to the problem.
  • Provide a thorough, comprehensive and easy to understand description.
  • Provide the exact information on the error that occured.

[alink id=main]Top[/alink id]Revised thread written by [url-inline=member.php?u=160]Avatar[/url-inline].
Some parts rewritten from older threads, by [url-inline=member.php?u=1422]Berserk[/url-inline] and [url-inline=member.php?u=3121]Dawson[/url-inline].

Last edited:

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Wow this is a useful thread, hopefully it won't get flooded with dumb questions that belong in the help and request thread though :@

EDIT: Oh it is the help and request thread :O

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Is there a way to automatically save a screen in rmxp without print screening, pasting and saving?
Just to start off the thread.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
I just started using RPG maker xp a day ago, and I was adding one of the old tilesets I made a year or two ago in their, but realized that its 16x16 pixels, not 32x32. So I was wondering if either A) If their is a specific way of seperating the tiles so they do work even if they are 16x16, or B) If thats not possible, a program that could resize the tiles without blurring the image to do so.

Thanks for any help. Also once I get 15 posts or whatever, I'll be more than willing to let anyone use them if they want, although they aren't exactly the greatest in the world, but they do have most of the outdoor basics.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I just started using RPG maker xp a day ago, and I was adding one of the old tilesets I made a year or two ago in their, but realized that its 16x16 pixels, not 32x32. So I was wondering if either A) If their is a specific way of seperating the tiles so they do work even if they are 16x16, or B) If thats not possible, a program that could resize the tiles without blurring the image to do so.

Thanks for any help. Also once I get 15 posts or whatever, I'll be more than willing to let anyone use them if they want, although they aren't exactly the greatest in the world, but they do have most of the outdoor basics.

That is what ms paint is for. Just select the tiles, and resize them by 200 percent.

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Is it possible to take a screenshot without pressing F8? Like is there a line of script I can execute a screenshot with? Just curious :3

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
How i can do a life simulator with variables like hungry, fun, happynness, and others??
Sorry for my english.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
How i can do a life simulator with variables like hungry, fun, happynness, and others??
Sorry for my english.

You're going to have t be far more specific if you want an answer... For example: What program are you using?

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Not only that, as stated in the post people CAN'T request a full engine and such.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
I use RPG Maker XP.

And my question is how i can do diferents variables, and change it.
Good bye

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I use RPG Maker XP.

And my question is how i can do diferents variables, and change it.
Good bye
Go learn the basics of RPG Maker XP, then. There are plenty of tutorials on the Internet.

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
Years
Okay made first town now working on interior, I feel so noobish ut how can i fix the bed so it can look normal?I will Printscreen if necessary .

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Use layers?
I think thats what you mean, take a picture...

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Is it possible to take a screenshot without pressing F8? Like is there a line of script I can execute a screenshot with? Just curious :3

Well...the simple line of code needed is just
Code:
pbScreenCapture
But if you'd like to do any in depth adjustments to it, the code can be found in the script PokemonSystem around line 80. It should look something like this
Code:
def pbScreenCapture
 capturefile=nil
 5000.times {|i|
  filename=sprintf("*/capture%03d.bmp",i)
  if !FileTest.exist?(filename)
   capturefile=filename
   break
  end
  i+=1
 }
 if capturefile
  takescreen=Win32API.new("rubyscreen.dll","TakeScreenshot","%w(p)","i")
  takescreen.call(capturefile)
  if FileTest.exist?(capturefile)
   Audio.se_play("Audio/SE/expfull.wav")
  end
 end
end
Also you can change the default input for taking a screenshot in PokemonSystem. Search for "module Input" and you should find something like this.
Code:
module Input
 unless defined?(update_KGC_ScreenCapture)
  class << Input
    alias update_KGC_ScreenCapture update
  end
 end
 def self.update
    update_KGC_ScreenCapture
    if trigger?(Input::F8)
     pbScreenCapture
    end
    if trigger?(Input::F7)
     pbDebugF7
    end
 end
end
There make any changes you want.

Years
so i have 3 somewhat problems
1. my character doesn't pop up on screen when i start game i am using the Wally character set.all i see is the map and the map still moves but no one pops up

2. is i am getting this error when warping to another map.exmaple from gaia(starter city) to route 1? i get this error
Spoiler:

3. is i can not end events it keeps going back to the start after it gets to the command "End Event Processing" and when i use "erase event" prof.oak disappears so yeah

if you can help me on any of these 3 issues that would be great =D

*sorry for posting this in the wrong place last time)

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
Years
Quick question:

How can I change a Pokemon's base stats when it is holding an item?

I'm trying to implement the Origin Form of Giratina, Sky Shaymin, etc. Looks good; in-battle sprites are working, and I'm working on icon sprites.

So, basically how can I make it so when Giratina holds a Griseous Orb, it's base stats will change?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Quick question:

How can I change a Pokemon's base stats when it is holding an item?

I'm trying to implement the Origin Form of Giratina, Sky Shaymin, etc. Looks good; in-battle sprites are working, and I'm working on icon sprites.

So, basically how can I make it so when Giratina holds a Griseous Orb, it's base stats will change?
Quick answer:

See the Wiki for some hints. I can't tell you specifically because I haven't looked it up yet. It requires some non-trivial scripting, though.

If you find out what's needed, why not add it to the Wiki?

EDIT: Oh, and this isn't the Essentials thread. This is the "General game making help" thread. If you want to ask anything related to Pokémon, ask it in the Essentials thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back