• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Feedback Request: Categories and Forum Display

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I love these. My vote goes to the more subtly colored bars on the left.

Just a small note, Pokémon Trivia's event bar is still a non-fancy "[event]". The same goes for most tags in Pokémon General.

Last edited:
Years
It really needs to go back to the left D:

ZrJdd1a.png

cP7fkqJ.png

It's still on the left here, and it's really awkward being on the right in the index: I thought it would grow on me, but the opposite has happened.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
I find it really hard to notice the category bars on the right at all. Maybe because I have a wide screen and fluid width, but I actually thought they'd been removed for a while... Oops >_<
They are much more subtle, but I did like the colourfulness they brought. however not everyone shares this opinion so maybe a compromise could be met such as the suggested design for them? Still colourful yet subtle. /shrug

Years
I don't understand what benefit placing them on the right has, seeing as most people read from left to right. Is it "just because" or is there an actual reason?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
They should follow how they perform on the index. That implies that they should be either above the thread title or preceding it for consistency sake. At the moment this is reducing mapping flow in user experience. I also agree with the motion to keep them to the left of text. It doesn't matter if you decide to call prefixes "categories", they serve the same purpose. So they don't need a spontaneous functional redefinition by moving them from one area that is consistent with their placing on the forum index and on the breadcrumbs, to a nonsensical area such as the middle of the thread index.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Methinks the a.threadtitle font-size in the Dashboard (theme: Let's Fly Together [Legacy]) has been affected by this new addition. Instead of the normal 100%, the font size is now 120%.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
i'm so confused as to why anything needed to be changed after the category bars were first added

Years
I brought this up as an idea in HQ before I even saw this thread ( D: ) , but can we just kill post icons? They're pointless, and with them gone, we could put the prefixes in their place which 1) gets them out of the way of the thread title and 2) reduced clutter and is more streamlined and 3) is still left-justified:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I brought this up as an idea in HQ before I even saw this thread ( D: ) , but can we just kill post icons? They're pointless, and with them gone, we could put the prefixes in their place which 1) gets them out of the way of the thread title and 2) reduced clutter and is more streamlined and 3) is still left-justified:

Spoiler:
Seconded. Post icons are a fun way to distinguish your thread but... It's not very necessary and the forums would look neater without them. Especially if they currently hog a spot that could be used by categories.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Do keep in mind that the categories have variable lengths. Putting them to the left is either going to push the title (as in previously) or leave wasted space (what it would do if it were given a column to the left).
Can't we set a limit for their length and make bars that are longer than that have smaller text on two rows?

Years
XgVzC6r.png

How about the icons just go away, but the categories still go before the title and don't have their own dedicated section? I'd say that'd be a fair compromise, and it'd keep in line with Gav's suggestion of keeping it aesthetically pleasing and not jarring.

I'd be ok with that too, as long as the prefix comes first, then thread title, etc. Looks much better that way, imo.

Years
I find it so weird seeing icons (such as locked, indicators that you have posted in a thread etc) aligned to the right and the text enlarged. It's just very visually unappealing to me.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
literally what was wrong with how the text size was before lol
if people didn't like it then they would have said something

you're changing things for the sake of change despite how you may dress it up
which is rarely if ever a good course of action to take

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Let's see, offsetting things with these categories calls for larger click/tap targets to click?

The size is the same as text content in an actual thread and around the forum so it's getting distinguished?

I'm brushing it off in saying this but the web often changes things around for the sake of getting with the trends.

The actual reason cited, by the way, is that the title would be the same size as the categories and should be distinct.

but these reasons are nothing if people don't care for the end result
and given how the response to the changes made after the category titles were introduced has been nearly totally negative or otherwise not positive (some people even thinking the forum was flat out broken at first), it seems like the majority of people have a different idea of functionality than you do

Back