• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
Years
Xerneas as an Ice-type? Hmmm...

I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but from the trailer it seemed to imply that he dwelled deep within a forest. The mist could have simply been used as a way to make it all feel very mysterious.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well... actually, what if Xerneas is fighting/steel, and based on forme it changes to Ice/Steel, and Grass/Steel, while Yveltal would be Dark/Flying, Dark/Dragon and Dark/Fire! idk I like the idea of being able to fit in all the relative typings into one :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well fighting/steel probably wouldn't be the base forme of it. Maybe the base forme changes between games!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I wouldn't like them to change formes tbh.
Perhaps Xerneas is part Ghost as Ghosts can have mist surround them sort of like Giratina's place in DP...
Or maybe Xerneas is simply pure Steel. We haven't had a pure type mascot since RS, since Emerald they've all (not counting HgSs) been duel types with one of those types being Dragon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just steel would make like, 100% sense imo. I'd love to think it's a dual-typed Pokemon so it's creative but Steel makes SO MUCH SENSE because it outright doesn't fit into anything else. So yes, I'm for this!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I am so over having form-changing legendaries. It's gotten to the point where it's just being absued now. The Kami Trio didn't need them at all, and I don't think Keldeo did either, especially the change is so minor. Giving Kyurem it's forms I thought was just silly too. I mean I get it was the entire plot of the story, but I still didn't like it at all =P. Shaymin's at least made sense and was given backstory.

So no, I don't want Xerneas and Yveltal to change forms =P

Years
Thus far only Gen 1 had a Duel and a single type mascot pair however that was for the International versions...so Japan has had them all match, I guess that point would make Xerneas less likely to be a pure type due to Yvetal's appearance as a duel type...unless they stray away and do another Gen 1 Int version. Or maybe Yvetal is Dark and has levitate as it's ability...it would be trolling of GF if that was true but than again Darkrai is pure Dark rather than Dark/Ghost, and Elektross isn't part water...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well if they were single types, Yveltal could be just dark. I mean, Darkrai is dark and can float, soooo.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I don't want either to change formes or types, either. I'm tired of this 'we as developers can't decide on types that will make us and the public happy, so we'll just make a new item/attack/ability that lets them change to x at will!' stuff we've been getting the past couple of generations. The alternate formes thing was enjoyable when it was a new concept but it's starting to get old, at least to me.

Years
For me personally, I suppose I don't mind alternate forms. Are they starting to get old? Possibly, but to me, there has to be a purpose behind those said forms. I mean, why was it necessary that the Kami trio needed one? I mean, I suppose they all were doing fine without them?

I just want them to all have a reason, is what I'm saying, and not being made just for the heck of it.
I think that generation V should've explained those forms better, as it makes sense as Gods have both human and animal forms in some myths. Also Generation IV/s were well explained, and so were generation III's with Castform's thing being adapting to the weather, and Deoxys to it's environment, and Giratina having different formes between realms as Anti-matter would explode in this realm...so I saw it as it turning to a forme more suitable for this world.

Anyways on topic, I would like it if the two legends were masters like Gen II's mascots.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't want either to change formes or types, either. I'm tired of this 'we as developers can't decide on types that will make us and the public happy, so we'll just make a new item/attack/ability that lets them change to x at will!' stuff we've been getting the past couple of generations. The alternate formes thing was enjoyable when it was a new concept but it's starting to get old, at least to me.

It would give the games longevity though, as they can release forme events, etc, and GF likes that, so mascot formes isn't completely out of the picture.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
It doesn't really increase longevity though. It releases a new form. That's it. It doesn't add anything new for the games itself other than a new form. There's no new gameplay, nothing exciting. Plus, if Unova was any indication we're not going to get any backstory for new forms, other than maybe a three minute explanation. I'd rather be given some sort of DLC with some new content before I'd take new forms.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Who knows, they could put more time into discussing "sometimes Yveltal appeared with another forme and scared off all that opposed it..." or something along those lines? Like the back story could be extended upon.

Years
I'll imagine that Gf would've hinted at them having new formes like they did with Kyurem shortly before the reveal of B2W2. Thus far however there doesn't seem to be much...imo there's more of a chance that they'll get a new type than formes...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well they are holding back on information and maybe they're not trying to overwhelm us, and will tell us at a later point that they have alternate formes!

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I think you guys are missing something with the "dual type or single type mascots" thing, which Ive already mentioned.

(I ignore gen I as there wasnt yet a plot and legend involved and all that just the freakin starters on the covers, nothing thought through yet, they just had to put something on)
Every mascot so far was either:
-single type (Ground, Water)
-+Flying (Psychic, Fire, Dragon)
-+Dragon (Steel, Water, Ghost, Fire, Electric, Ice)

(when you look whats missing: Normal, Grass, Fighting, Poison, Bug, Rock, Dark - I find it extremely surprising Grass hasnt seen the light yet.)

Dragon was added for epicness or because they ARE dragons
And Flying was added because it freakin flies

These are JUST COMMON SENSE DUAL TYPES, not "jesus christ its Psychic AND Electric holy ****."
Just as a mascot resembeling an insect would have been Bug!

From that view:
NO mascot was really a dual type pokemon.

They never have more than one "elemental" (for a lack of better word) type.

Therefore my reasoning for them being more likely again "pure" types:
-Grass
-Dark/Flying
(gamefreak wouldn't throw a fancy second type on Xerneas to make up for Yveltal being one, because the Flying part is just the common sense part, not the "oh my god its dual type" thing)

I'm not saying they would never make fancy dual types for legends, just probably not as long as there is still simple stuff to milk like.... pure Grass LOL

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Normal... Neither of them really look normal so I would wonder where that'd fit in tbh.

Back