• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Darkstalkers

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I'm a bit surprised that's nothing related to Darkstalkers here, so I decided to make at least a thread to know if anybody already played one of this game's series and liked it.

Anyways, what do you think of Darkstalkers and it's characters overall?

I particularly like Felicia and Jon Talbain because they're furry.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Course there won't be any thread about Darkstalkers, because who hell knows/cares about an Arcade/PS1 street fighter clone about movie monsters?

That said, god I love this series. My favorite fighting game from Capcom, and I'm very very glad Ono is pushing for a revival like he did with Street Fighter. Buying the collection coming to PSN/XBLA.

Favorite always been Anakaris, but always loved B.B Hood as well.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
Course there won't be any thread about Darkstalkers, because who hell knows/cares about an Arcade/PS1 street fighter clone about movie monsters?

I think it's far better than Street Fighter. It's almost equal in terms of gameplay, but plot and characters are better.
Maybe that's because they're usually not as human and boring as the SF's characters.

And gosh how I hate when I see someone saying that any character of Darkstalkers is from SF. That's just ridiculous.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Gameplay and mechanics is debatable. Maybe Darkstalkers is more fun to watch, but on a technical and competitive level Street Fighter 2 has always been king. I say this as a fighting game player.

Personally, when it comes to characters. SF2 has M.Bison, E.Honda and Balrog, and 3 has Dudley. As much as I love Anakaris, B.B Hood, Jedah, Lord Raptor and Bishamon...SF cast edges out a bit for me. :P

And gosh how I hate when I see someone saying that any character of Darkstalkers is from SF. That's just ridiculous.
I don't get what you mean? There are some characters that borrow playstyles from SF characters (Demitri = Ryu. Victor = Zangief.) but they're all unique in some way.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I don't get what you mean? There are some characters that borrow playstyles from SF characters (Demitri = Ryu. Victor = Zangief.) but they're all unique in some way.

I mean that some times while searching for Felicia pics and stuff, I found people just telling that she is a character from Street Fighter.
I don't know if this happens with other characters though, but I don't have so many doubts about it. Problably it happens, and I think this is because SF is so mainstream that people tend to think that any fighting game character is from SF.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Not that I'm out looking for DS fanart, but I do get what you're saying. I also get Spinosaurus is saying. Essentially, it comes down to the fact that Darkstalkers is an obscure series that ended in the late 90's, but has a cult following just large enough to keep it from being totally forgotten.

The fact of the matter is, a lot of people aren't going to know about it unless a new iteration is made. I know that Darkstalkers Ressurection is going to be a litmus test to see if there's enough demand for a Darkstalkers 4 (why do I find saying that weird? Probably because I never call Vampire Savior "Darkstalkers 3" I'm hoping DS4, if made, will have some kind of creative title). I'm going to get it, mostly because it treats Vampire Hunter and Vampire Savior as two separate arcade releases, as opposed to the past collections that just ports everything into Savior's engine, thus losing some of its aesthetic appeal (VH BGs aren't used, character select portraits aren't used, missing some unique sprite animations, endings are low quality videos instead of running at real time, etc).

Heck, even playing "Vampire Hunter" under Savior's engine feels wrong. I like Savior overall, but when I'm used to certain moves having certain effects in Hunter, it just throws everything off. I can use Pyron in both, for example, but his EXs are totally ineffective in VS compared to VH. This isn't a deal breaking problem. I just can't be as showy as I like (and required EX victories to reach special stages are just harder with him in VS).

Anyway, though, I like the series, and I want to see more of it if it does the legacy any good. But sometimes, it's best to leave a franchise off on a good note, and if Savior can't be topped, then don't bother. I don't want a Sonic 4 of the Darkstalkers series. Another concern is that I loved how the characters in Darkstalkers followed the 12 prinicples of animation in their sprite forms. In order for the series to evolve, it's going to have to use 3D models, or spend a long long time doing HD 2D animations. And I'm pretty sure they won't spend any kind of money on that for Darkstalkers. Therefore, I'm worried of some of the charm will be lost in the transition.

Back