The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
Audio How can I edit the cry of one of the ????????? Pokemon between Celebi and Treecko?

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 28th, 2018 (5:58 AM).
struedelmuffin1 struedelmuffin1 is offline
     
    Join Date: Sep 2017
    Posts: 101
    I am adding a few Pokemon in using the empty slots between Celebi and Treecko but I've noticed any Pokemon in these slots use an Unown cry. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to change this cry seeing as any tools I've tried using have empty data for the cry and pokedex. Is there any way I can repoint the cry to something else? Also is it fully safe to change these empty slots or am I messing with Unowns by doing so
    Reply With Quote
      #2    
    Old August 28th, 2018 (12:10 PM).
    BirdstarCat13's Avatar
    BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
    Furret-loving Iskallian
       
      Join Date: Nov 2017
      Location: RenSkall island
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Timid
      Posts: 416
      Originally, those slots were going to be for the Unown forms, yes, but the way Unown's forms are handled is completely different and they're unaffected by those slots. They are 100% safe to use however some programs like PGE don't like those slots. You'll probbly need to do some ASM to modify their cries.
      __________________
      -------------------------
      I hate signatures that are just a line of text without any clear division. You weirdos know who you are ;)
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old August 28th, 2018 (5:50 PM).
      struedelmuffin1 struedelmuffin1 is offline
         
        Join Date: Sep 2017
        Posts: 101
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
        Originally, those slots were going to be for the Unown forms, yes, but the way Unown's forms are handled is completely different and they're unaffected by those slots. They are 100% safe to use however some programs like PGE don't like those slots. You'll probbly need to do some ASM to modify their cries.
        It's good to know they are safe to edit but I don't really understand how I'd use ASM to handle this. I know ASM is like the go to for pretty much everything nowadays but I'm sure there's got to be a simpler method for repointing those cries.
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old September 10th, 2018 (2:08 AM).
        hjk321's Avatar
        hjk321 hjk321 is offline
           
          Join Date: Sep 2017
          Posts: 186
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by struedelmuffin1 View Post
          It's good to know they are safe to edit but I don't really understand how I'd use ASM to handle this. I know ASM is like the go to for pretty much everything nowadays but I'm sure there's got to be a simpler method for repointing those cries.
          I remember reading somewhere from a reliable expert like diego or FBI saying that even they couldn't figure it out, and it's locked on bulbasaur. Pretty sure they weren't supposed to be used in the first place.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old September 10th, 2018 (3:06 AM). Edited September 10th, 2018 by struedelmuffin1.
          struedelmuffin1 struedelmuffin1 is offline
             
            Join Date: Sep 2017
            Posts: 101
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by hjk321 View Post
            I remember reading somewhere from a reliable expert like diego or FBI saying that even they couldn't figure it out, and it's locked on bulbasaur. Pretty sure they weren't supposed to be used in the first place.
            Since they were beta Unowns it's locked on Unown actually which isn't so bad since Unown have a much more unique cry that Bulbasaur. From what I've seen, it seems totally find to use those slots as long as the pokemon isn't made wild (it has no dex data) and is assigned to an evolution or gift pokemon event. It's a real shame the cry can't be repointed as that means I will probably only end up using it for like one pokemon though
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:52 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by JordanB500.
            JordanB500's Avatar
            JordanB500 JordanB500 is offline
            Former Pokemon League Champion
               
              Join Date: Jan 2008
              Location: Independence MO
              Age: 32
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Gentle
              Posts: 81
              couldnt you find free space and repoint the cry table for these blank pokemon? im sure some tools would allow the importing of cries if there was a new offset but to so you would have to figure out how many bytes and etc are required, i want to do this with my romhack too. also also why cant they be wild?
              __________________




              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:25 PM).
              struedelmuffin1 struedelmuffin1 is offline
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2017
                Posts: 101
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by JordanB500 View Post
                couldnt you find free space and repoint the cry table for these blank pokemon? im sure some tools would allow the importing of cries if there was a new offset but to so you would have to figure out how many bytes and etc are required, i want to do this with my romhack too. also also why cant they be wild?
                It's not that simple sadly. Trying to repoint their cries always seems to result in an error
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:21 AM).
                hjk321's Avatar
                hjk321 hjk321 is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2017
                  Posts: 186
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by struedelmuffin1 View Post
                  It's not that simple sadly. Trying to repoint their cries always seems to result in an error
                  Quite frankly if MrDollStreak and FBI and the rest of the bunch couldn't figure it out it's pretty safe to say those slots' cries are hardcoded. Sorry! :(

                  Try expanding your pokemon instead if you need more slots.
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:31 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Topaz Light.
                  Topaz Light's Avatar
                  Topaz Light Topaz Light is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2016
                    Location: SPECIAL AREA
                    Gender: Other
                    Nature: Gentle
                    Posts: 100
                    I just did a little test myself, and it would seem that these Pokémon aren't hardcoded to play Unown's cry's specifically; they play whatever cry is assigned to Pokémon 0x0C9 (decimal 201), which by default is Unown.

                    If anyone wants to recreate my test, I just modified Emerald version in PGE to set Pokémon 0x0FC (decimal 252) to be fought instead of Zigzagoon when choosing one's starter, and then went in and pasted Wobbufett's cry pointer over Unown's, and the wild ? used Wobbufett's cry instead.
                    __________________
                    Who has lost his tail?
                    The forgotten one of the ship that sails the cosmos.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #10    
                    Old 4 Weeks Ago (3:13 PM).
                    struedelmuffin1 struedelmuffin1 is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Sep 2017
                      Posts: 101
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Topaz Light View Post
                      I just did a little test myself, and it would seem that these Pokémon aren't hardcoded to play Unown's cry's specifically; they play whatever cry is assigned to Pokémon 0x0C9 (decimal 201), which by default is Unown.

                      If anyone wants to recreate my test, I just modified Emerald version in PGE to set Pokémon 0x0FC (decimal 252) to be fought instead of Zigzagoon when choosing one's starter, and then went in and pasted Wobbufett's cry pointer over Unown's, and the wild ? used Wobbufett's cry instead.

                      This is good to know though I'm honestly not sure how Unown work in these games. Is there any way to change the cry of a ??????? pokemon without changing the unown cry?
                      Reply With Quote
                        #11    
                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:18 AM).
                      JordanB500's Avatar
                      JordanB500 JordanB500 is offline
                      Former Pokemon League Champion
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2008
                        Location: Independence MO
                        Age: 32
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Gentle
                        Posts: 81
                        these empty slots are gen 2's way of handling multiple unown sprites correct? it makes sense that they would have unown's cry but seeing as how gen 3 doesnt use them to generate sprites for unown(i think) it is safe to assume that you could possibly alter these empty pokemon and have the unown function just fine although you would have to test this
                        __________________




                        Reply With Quote
                          #12    
                        Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:41 PM).
                        BirdstarCat13's Avatar
                        BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
                        Furret-loving Iskallian
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2017
                          Location: RenSkall island
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Timid
                          Posts: 416
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Topaz Light View Post
                          I just did a little test myself, and it would seem that these Pokémon aren't hardcoded to play Unown's cry's specifically; they play whatever cry is assigned to Pokémon 0x0C9 (decimal 201), which by default is Unown.

                          If anyone wants to recreate my test, I just modified Emerald version in PGE to set Pokémon 0x0FC (decimal 252) to be fought instead of Zigzagoon when choosing one's starter, and then went in and pasted Wobbufett's cry pointer over Unown's, and the wild ? used Wobbufett's cry instead.
                          That's a really nice bit of information to know! I'm not sure if it's a new discovery, but if it is, then you're a genius! :D <3
                          __________________
                          -------------------------
                          I hate signatures that are just a line of text without any clear division. You weirdos know who you are ;)
                          Reply With Quote
                            #13    
                          Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:07 AM).
                          Topaz Light's Avatar
                          Topaz Light Topaz Light is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Mar 2016
                            Location: SPECIAL AREA
                            Gender: Other
                            Nature: Gentle
                            Posts: 100
                            Gosh, well, I'm certainly not all that! I just thought, "If I were programming in a bunch of Pokémon who all used the same cry, how would I set that up?" and just making the one cry ID in the pointer table point to all of them seemed like a sensible way to do it. In a similar vein, I suspect that the reason trying to assign a different cry to one of the 25 ?s messes things up is because one Pokémon is being assigned two cries, and the game can't handle that.

                            At some point, I want to check out the block where all the cry assignments are stored in a hex editor to see if it is somehow pointing the same cry to 26 different Pokémon IDs through that, or if there's something else going on that's what's making things work that way.
                            __________________
                            Who has lost his tail?
                            The forgotten one of the ship that sails the cosmos.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #14    
                            Old 1 Week Ago (12:32 PM).
                            hjk321's Avatar
                            hjk321 hjk321 is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Sep 2017
                              Posts: 186
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by struedelmuffin1 View Post
                              I am adding a few Pokemon in using the empty slots between Celebi and Treecko but I've noticed any Pokemon in these slots use an Unown cry. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to change this cry seeing as any tools I've tried using have empty data for the cry and pokedex. Is there any way I can repoint the cry to something else? Also is it fully safe to change these empty slots or am I messing with Unowns by doing so
                              Finally found some research on this.

                              https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9598162&postcount=943
                              __________________
                              Reply With Quote
                              Reply

                              Quick Reply

                              Join the conversation!

                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                              Create a PokéCommunity Account
                              Thread Tools

                              Posting Rules
                              You may not post new threads
                              You may not post replies
                              You may not post attachments
                              You may not edit your posts

                              BB code is On
                              Smilies are On
                              [IMG] code is On
                              HTML code is Off

                              Forum Jump


                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:07 AM.